Author Topic: Sandy Row  (Read 2075173 times)

Val

Re: Sandy Row
« Reply #3420 on: January 15, 2010, 02:58:52 PM »

page 3 st aidans meg   anyone remember these Mame's the day i was baptised

ulsterdigger

Baptism: Isabel King is my cousin....amazing to see this.

Val

« Reply #3421 on: January 15, 2010, 02:59:56 PM »
K2,

Mine were married there in 1947 and I was baptised there in 1946 ... ha ha, I mean 1949!

Dave  ;)

Dave, do you mean St.Aidan's. I was married in St.Andrew's.... ;)

ackerman

« Reply #3422 on: January 15, 2010, 03:42:04 PM »
ULSTER DIGGER.   Thank you for those copies of St. Aidens Parish Magazine. Brought on precious memories ... Passed the church every day on my way to school.   Remembered Rev.Greer and many of the names in the magazine.   Keep them coming!
Ackerman

Belfast Dave

« Reply #3423 on: January 15, 2010, 03:43:32 PM »
Val,

I meant St Aidan's. I guess it was the closest for our ones.

Dave ;)
Family Names: Wright, Bowden, Dickson, McIlveen, Pollock

Val

« Reply #3424 on: January 15, 2010, 05:29:49 PM »
You know it is great to see our wee Sandy Row site getting some much needed attention lately.

Thank you all for your contributions and I hope you keep them coming, I am so happy.

Val  :air_kiss:

Shazza

« Reply #3425 on: January 15, 2010, 05:41:49 PM »
Here's a link for the photos I took recently of Sandy Row.  I wrote a bit of information about Sandy Row, if I've got it wrong or you dont agree, let me know.

http://www.shazzakataya.com/photos/sandy-row-belfast/

Once you've had a look at it, click the link at the bottom of the page and it will take you to the photos on Photobucket.  If you're not familiar with photobucket, you can just click the red button at the top right of the page that says SLIDESHOW and just sit back and watch the photos.

If you want to see what other categories are on the website, click on BLOG at the top right.  Hope you find something of interest to you.

Val

« Reply #3426 on: January 15, 2010, 05:48:46 PM »
Thanks Shazza.  .Val  :air_kiss:

Ulster Canadian

« Reply #3427 on: January 15, 2010, 07:58:01 PM »
came across this one tonight, not the best of quality but good enough to make out.

July 1981

RabRow

« Reply #3428 on: January 15, 2010, 09:36:52 PM »
If I remember correctly UC I think that arch was put up by the fellas out of the Aghalee. There was no arch anywhere in Sandy Row that time and they decided to put one up to keep the tradition going.

RabRow

« Reply #3429 on: January 15, 2010, 09:39:40 PM »
Here's a link for the photos I took recently of Sandy Row.  I wrote a bit of information about Sandy Row, if I've got it wrong or you dont agree, let me know.

http://www.shazzakataya.com/photos/sandy-row-belfast/

Once you've had a look at it, click the link at the bottom of the page and it will take you to the photos on Photobucket.  If you're not familiar with photobucket, you can just click the red button at the top right of the page that says SLIDESHOW and just sit back and watch the photos.

If you want to see what other categories are on the website, click on BLOG at the top right.  Hope you find something of interest to you.

Had a look at your site Shazza. Good site mate. You asked the question on it..was this a flax mill. I'm not sure,but is that not the brewery yard?

harrydunn

« Reply #3430 on: January 15, 2010, 09:43:45 PM »

page 3 st aidans meg   anyone remember these Mame's the day i was baptised

ulsterdigger
Margaret Gillen lived two doors away from my wife in Majestic St.
we were married in St Aiden's Blythe St 24th Nov 1962 Minister was Rev Jamison.

harrydunn

« Reply #3431 on: January 15, 2010, 09:46:49 PM »

Had a look at your site Shazza. Good site mate. You asked the question on it..was this a flax mill. I'm not sure,but is that not the brewery yard?
I was about to say the same Roy the Brewery behind Gilpin's/ Sandro picture house. great pictures  Shazza thanks for sharing.

Shazza

« Reply #3432 on: January 15, 2010, 09:47:22 PM »

Somebody left a comment saying that it used to be part of Gilpen's furniture and before that a brewery.  So I think you must be right.  Thanks RabRow.  Another thing that has me wondering is 'the girl with the ring'.  Everybody knows about the one by Laganside, but how come there is one at Weaver's Court in Sandy Row?  It's obviously a smaller version, but I'm certain its the same model.

Shazza

« Reply #3433 on: January 15, 2010, 09:49:52 PM »
I was about to say the same Roy the Brewery behind Gilpin's/ Sandro picture house. great pictures  Shazza thanks for sharing.

Thanks Harry.  I wonder what they'll do with it?

RabRow

« Reply #3434 on: January 15, 2010, 09:56:46 PM »
Yeah Harry/Shazza I'm nearly sure it was the old brewery yard and as mentioned in the CD it is where the old UVF did their training. And then they went off to France...

''In the brewery yard I'm drilling with wee Sam,Joe Ewart and young McQuillan'' Something like that.