Author Topic: Sandy Row  (Read 1381073 times)

RabRow

Re: Sandy Row
« Reply #3480 on: January 19, 2010, 01:16:27 PM »
Rab,

the Hunter St Arch was the best for the music, that is were I learned to jive. They played all great music and they also had some of the neighbours keeping watch that no trouble broke out.
Fond memories of that street.

Val  ;)

Val.Think that was part of it too with me. I liked the jiving. Was never great at it,but did my best,and it was a treat to watch those who were good at it. Hunter St arch seemed to be all the go at that time. Maybe because of the music and the dancing they had there. The Teddy Boy days. :smile:

harrydunn

« Reply #3481 on: January 19, 2010, 04:49:58 PM »
Kathleen2 try Lavery at least you will have a 50/50 chance of it being right

Kathleen2

« Reply #3482 on: January 19, 2010, 04:52:33 PM »
Kathleen2 try Lavery at least you will have a 50/50 chance of it being right

The only Lavery I can remember was female; Valerie Lavery from Primative St. I think Pennywhistle said he lived in Hunter St.
" Tell them for their tomorrow, we gave our today"
A World War 1 soldier.

In memory of my grandfather, James McGimpsey. 9th Royal Scots.

harrydunn

« Reply #3483 on: January 19, 2010, 04:55:26 PM »
50% kathleen his granda lived in No 73 Blythe st a Mr Lavery, elementary my dear. :air_kiss: :air_kiss: :smile:

Kathleen2

« Reply #3484 on: January 19, 2010, 05:03:35 PM »
I would never make a good detective :D
A World War 1 soldier.

Pennywhistle

« Reply #3485 on: January 19, 2010, 08:39:42 PM »
 :smile: Well done to Harry Dunn! (no pun intended) Sir!!This is like a runaway train,115 views!Kathleen,I certainly did not set out to tease you,far from it.The truth is the site administrators would need to come up with a new smiley,to cover my embarrassment if it turns out you have no recollection,a smiley that is,with  egg all over its face!!Starting to feel a different tack may have been in order for that first post! If you are agreeable,I will ,with luck,get the wee photo posted and if fails to do the trick I'll come clean.Starting to feel like a 50's style wrestler here: remember the masked guy who promised to remove his mask if defeated? Funny enough,someone said I looked like Mick Mc Manus! As the years rolled by that was modified to Bob Hoskins and my cheeky youngest daughter assures me I bear a strong resemblance to Danny Devito now! (cheeky wee cat) :smile:  What do you reckon?  PS ,here's another wee clue..W.R. :unsure:
" Kitchen house reared and still,rough as Purdy Oaten ".

wgs

« Reply #3486 on: January 19, 2010, 09:05:31 PM »

linfield early 50s my sister in law cath Faulkner seated first from left

ulsterdigger

Recognise the tall girl middle row centre,Rosemary Hill.The girl on the right of her,is,ithink Carol Hamilton.

Kathleen2

« Reply #3487 on: January 19, 2010, 09:35:36 PM »
Yes please post your photo as soon as possible as I am dying to know if I remember you or not. I may not know the name but I might know the face. Since we are the same age ( both born in 1951 ) I'm wondering if we were in the same class at Blythe Street school ? I have to tell you I have an awful memory so please don't feel embarrassed if I don't remember you. That embarrassment will be all mine :D
A World War 1 soldier.

andy

« Reply #3488 on: January 19, 2010, 09:42:18 PM »
WELCOME P/W,  I LIVED IN BENTHAM STREET, BUT I RECKON I AM OLDER THAN
                       YOU [73]  I ATTENDED LINFIELD SECONDARY, AND WAS IN THE
                       38TH B.B. DONEGALL ROAD METHODIST, I HAD COUSINS IN
                       HUNTER ST,  MATILDA ST, BRITTANIC ST, I HAVE MISSED OUT
                       WHERE YOU LIVED.  ALSO BLYTHE ST,
                                                BILL ANDERSON

yy u r yy u b i c u r yy 4 me

Pennywhistle

« Reply #3489 on: January 19, 2010, 10:03:28 PM »
 :hi: You are way too kind!The photo will hardly do the trick then;it shows me perched as a 2 year old on the "windae sill" of 56 Hunter Street" it being Jim McCullough's house,clutching a wee plastic whistle.The revelation that you went to Workman's explains the blanks in my own memory.I went to wee Blythe Street before it closed ,then up to Blythefield from about p4 up to p7.The teachers were Mrs.McCrory,Sterne,Burns and Mr.Herron.My last recollection of you was at McDowell's shop in City Street,after I left school and prior to out flit to Finaghy.As was always the case with you,I was graced with "what about you Billy!" and of course your big wide smile. :smile:  As Harry Dunn rightly and kindly pointed out,my Granda was indeed Sammy Lavery,my mother,Peggy was chums with your own mum,"Maudie" and if all else fails you must surely remember my Granda blattering his Lambeg drum on the "spare ground" and up the entry behind the houses!! John Lyons was in my class and introduced me to motorbikes,I'm still at it and I'm sure I caught a recent glimpse of him on a "rocket" on the Ormeau Road.So brace yourself.....a roll of drums if you please maestro...(the cringe factor is kicking in here)...."Billy Rogers".

I really dont want to see your next post!!!!! ;)

Kathleen2

« Reply #3490 on: January 19, 2010, 10:22:42 PM »
Billy Rogers !!! YES !! I do remember you. OMG !! How are you ?!? Please post a photo if you can, either then or now would be great. I remember all of the teachers you mentioned, especially Miss Burns and Mr Heron. Mrs McCory taught us girls how to knit :D  I would love to hear everything that has happened to since the Sandy Row days.  On one of my last trips home I met Muriel Sands. Do you remember her at all. We had a great cacth up over lunch in the Eruopa Hotel.

Any chance of getting John Lyons here ?

This is great. I love it !!!!!  Billy Rogers. Well I never :air_kiss:
A World War 1 soldier.

Pennywhistle

« Reply #3491 on: January 19, 2010, 10:42:01 PM »
 :smile: Hi Andy,(hero member) still trying to hack my way through the site protocols,all a bit bewildering.At 58 I am indeed a wee bit younger.I was a member of Primitive Street BB but they had no band.I was desperate for a go on a bugle and jumped ship to St.Aiden's Church Lads Brigade and was sent up to St.Simon's and took possession of a shiny copper bugle.My Da threatened to flatten it and I was barred from blowing it in the house.I reckon I was short of  scruples in those days and flitted to the Moravian Church Scout group,up beside King William's Park.The cost of the cap,jumper,woggle and the wee flag things for the socks was prohibitive and my Mum put a swift end to it!To be fair to her,my Da was approaching the end of 28 years service in the Army and ready cash was like hen's teeth.Aye,"kitchen house reared and (still) rough as purdy oaten! "Must add that to my profile.Thank you Sir for your interest.

Pennywhistle

« Reply #3492 on: January 19, 2010, 11:00:12 PM »
Thank goodness for that!!!Muriel I  look out for every time I am up the Donegall Road,but I haven't clapped eyes on her for a long time.I reckon she was in every single class I was in ,from primary to they split us after 2T. 3T1 saw the boys all lumped together and the girls all became 3T2.As for John Lyons...genuinely spotted him twice on a flying machine headin' up the Ormeau Road and I am sure I spotted Valerie Lavery in Holwood last week.You can be sure I will pass on your regards to him,provided that is ,I can catch him!
Way too much excitement here tonight and have just came in after my first day shift after three weekend night shifts and back up at 05.30 hrs for a 7.00 am start.Big thanks to You,Val,Harry and Andy for the warm welcometo the Forum.
Take care and I'll pick up the reins ASAP.
Your foreign correspondent. "W.R."

carbolicsoap

« Reply #3493 on: January 19, 2010, 11:22:40 PM »
A few more scans from me....
Sandy row bonfire...1964

carbolicsoap

« Reply #3494 on: January 19, 2010, 11:25:18 PM »
Bomb at the bottom of the Boyne Bridge/Grosvenor road 17th/nov/1971