Author Topic: Sandy Row  (Read 1495843 times)

harrydunn

Re: Sandy Row
« Reply #3840 on: February 05, 2010, 05:01:27 PM »
ote]][/url]

:hi: "Carbolic soap"
That's pure class.THANK YOU for the effort.I had to nip out earlier,hence the belated reply.This Forum is better than that Sudoku!
Mental gymnastics made easy!!Right away I spotted a couple of errors made by myself.Number 56 was of course my chum's house,The McCullough's and where I was sat for my "Pennywhistle" pic.With regards Nos.38 & 52,I have gone through life thinking it was "Currie".
In your kind directory post,I am reminded that my maternal Granny Lavery (nee Gallagher) had a brother and sister residing in No.s 22 & 39 and finally,relatives wise,my uncle Ernie Rutherford from No.44.They must have "slipped the key" to my cousins.The Blackledges,after they moved to 43?  City Street,2 doors or so from Joey Spiers' shop.

The characters listed on those pages are worthy of a wee documentary.I will single out one man at this point for a wee pen portriat and that is  No.78.."Johnny Smith".On the bright evenings he would , like many others,stand at the front door and simply watch the world go by.He seemed to have a smile and a nod for every passerby.

I remember asking my granda Lavery why all the wee mongrel dogs had short tails, "docked" , as they say nowadays.He explained that the owners had had them "removed".He went on to inform me that for a "3d bit",you could once have gone to Johnny Smith and indicate where you wanted the wee dog's tail to end.Once Johnny had located the relevant joint,he simply BIT OFF THE BIT THAT WAS NOT REQUIRED!!

Ernie Rutherford from City St best man at my Wedding 1962

Pennywhistle

« Reply #3841 on: February 05, 2010, 06:59:06 PM »
now we're getting somewhere with the photo's, great stuff pennywhistle and some class photo's, keep them coming, get the photo's of the bands on  :good:

Seems only fair to go the extra mile for "Ulster Canadian" given the service he provides to us "lesser able" posters on "The Row " thread.

I can claim no credit for the few I hope to post as they come to us via "Flickr" (photo sharing) and were captured by "Neill Vance". I will beg his pardon in advance if copywright is an issue and thank him for capturing the pics.

Leaving the band aspect to the side,I am sure viewers will enjoy the the images of the shops that once stood in Bradbury Place.The detail relates to 1962.
" Kitchen house reared and still,rough as Purdy Oaten ".

Pennywhistle

« Reply #3842 on: February 05, 2010, 07:01:38 PM »

Pennywhistle

« Reply #3843 on: February 05, 2010, 07:03:19 PM »

Pennywhistle

« Reply #3844 on: February 05, 2010, 07:58:33 PM »

And  just for you,"Rangerover"! Courtesy of "Flickr" and no one surely could "take a huffin' fit" over Copytright!!

A small PS.
 Next to  the Boyne Tavern (The Big Boyne), perhaps the first Indian Restaurant in Belfast had just opened up for business, when I was about 14 years old.A tribe of us "wee brats" went in one night and our "Leader, Jim Hurst"),from Eureka Street,sat us down and requested a menu.

After a short "shufty" he ordered pineapple chunks and the waiter,very politely,informed the giggling team that "chunks" were only served as part of a meal.

Quick as a flash he retorted ,"Aye Mister! Pig meal!" and
legged it out the door.As a "wee Paughle" and a bit slow,I was last out the door and the "tail end Charlie" as we legged it down Hope Street towards Gt.Victoria St.

The previously nice waiter was soon in hot pursuit and presumably,paused long enough to pick up the neck of a broken "Guinness" bottle and hurled it after the fleeing gang.

I take my hat off to that man as he was a quare shot.The bottle landed full square on my head but thankfully,didn't draw blood!.

The last I heard of "Hirk",(Jim Hurst) was that he became a "Tankie" in the
5th Inniskillen Dragoons.

"Fare thee well Enniskillen!"

Rangerover

« Reply #3845 on: February 05, 2010, 08:37:54 PM »
Hi Pennywhitle,

Thanks for to Hope Street sign  :smile:
I've often wondered if many people took advantage of the re-development of Sandy Row and took the actual street name plates as a momento ?

The Indian restaurant that you refer to was was formly know locally as the "stew house" and it was a very popular place with lorry drivers from the Ulster Transport depot on the Grosvenor Road.

The Indian restaurant didn't last long, in fact the guy who owned it used to say "the people of Sandy Row are like magpies because they take all of my knives & forks"  :D

But there was a sinister side to this guy because he ended up going to jail and I think he was maybe deported for running what was known then as RACHMANISM, in otherwords he was exploting poor people by overcharging them high rents in properties that he owned , I think he had properties in Donegal Pass.

It was proven in court that he was using very heavy handed tactics, threating his tennants with violence from his heavies.

Rangerover

« Reply #3846 on: February 05, 2010, 08:47:17 PM »
G'day Ulsterdigger,

So as you worked in Clealands can you put me out of my misery and tell what those glass marbles where used for PLEASEEEEEEEEEE  :D

Burnsey used to guard them with his life lollllll

hi pennywhistle/ rangerover
great photo of clealands my first job after leaving school was there remember burnsey well he was foreman in the store his son harry was a printer harry was married to one of the Burke's from linfield rd his brother inlaw john Burke worked there 
harry cardwell was the van driver they had a  battery operated van ithink was a first of its type 
remember that machine but have a senors moment trying to remember what it was used for thanks again for the memories

ulsterdigger

carbolicsoap

« Reply #3847 on: February 05, 2010, 09:08:53 PM »
This Indian restaurant....I was talking to a lady the other day and she mentioned this.I think she said it was called The Taj Mahal....does that name ring any bells?

andy

« Reply #3848 on: February 05, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
CARBOLICSOAP,   thank you for the hunter st, directory 1955,  the lendrums in 41,
                        stalfords in 45 where my uncles, aunts, and cousins.
                        the wife and i where married on 8/1/1955 and they where all at
                        the after do, in bentham st where we lived [no,59] this year we
                        celebrated 55 tears married,  and we are still in love
yy u r yy u b i c u r yy 4 me

andy

« Reply #3849 on: February 05, 2010, 09:33:50 PM »
RANGEROVER,     you are right about the guy who owned the indian, 2 of his
                       heavies got a doing in apsley st off the pass by 4 brothers
                       and he was told to back of or else,   he was a sleze bag.
yy u r yy u b i c u r yy 4 me

Pennywhistle

« Reply #3850 on: February 05, 2010, 10:10:08 PM »
Hi Pennywhitle,

Thanks for to Hope Street sign  :smile:
I've often wondered if many people took advantage of the re-development of Sandy Row and took the actual street name plates as a momento ?

The Indian restaurant that you refer to was was formly know locally as the "stew house" and it was a very popular place with lorry drivers from the Ulster Transport depot on the Grosvenor Road.

The Indian restaurant didn't last long, in fact the guy who owned it used to say "the people of Sandy Row are like magpies because they take all of my knives & forks"  :D

But there was a sinister side to this guy because he ended up going to jail and I think he was maybe deported for running what was known then as RACHMANISM, in otherwords he was exploting poor people by overcharging them high rents in properties that he owned , I think he had properties in Donegal Pass.

It was proven in court that he was using very heavy handed tactics, threating his tennants with violence from his heavies.

You're not kiddin'!!

I have full recall of the aforementioned "gentleman" from The "Sub-Continent"!
 I was too afraid to mention the element that you introduced.But yes,you are right on the money!

The person you referred to was mentioned in the "Belfast Tele" as I well remember,for failing to appear in court and a "Bench Warrant" was issued for his arrest,due to his failure to appear in Court ,following summonses for using threatening behaviour, towards his "Tenants". His last known address was off the Moss Road ,Lambeg. ( I'm starting to feel like "Old Moore's Almanac" here)!!

As you rightly pointed out,he bought furniture in the local auctions and soon moved in as the old "Sandy Rowites" began to quit the wee streets and employed the local "Heavies" to collect the rent which was way , way, beyond what was affordable or indeed ,just.

In one escapade,it was "alleged" a firearm was produced,which lead to his (non-appearance) before the( "Beak") and I must stress,this was long before "The Troubles". Sadly,The "Row" wasn't short of "hard chaw's" and many were soon to find their element come the "Summer of '68" and beyond.

The rest,as they say,  is HISTORY!!

As a footnote,I well mention one of my Da's sisters,my aunt Millie,from Clementine Street.She lost her husband,"Davy Bradshaw" but later married a "Davy Shanks". Between the two marriages and like many a widow,she earned her keep
doing what had to be done and "skivvied" were the work was to be found.

Fair play to her.

She got such a job in the aforementioned "eatin' house" and lost the wee number after the owner legged it.

The premises remained closed after the owner  absconded and following complaints of a "quare whiff" from the premises,workers from the Sanitary Dept.,from the City Hall,forced an entry into the building.My aunt Millie confirmed that the back yard was full of empty "Master McGrath" tins.And No!, she didn't get her "lying week"!!!!!

"How much is that doggie in the window,,WOOf WOOF".

In all fairness,I  have happily had a good feed in the "Ashoka",the big "Indian" Restaurant that is (or was ) facing the premises that once was "The Majestic" cinema on the Lisburn Road!

In closing,my aunt Millie,kept a "bantie [censored]" in her "coal hole" and I was slack-jawed"  as a wee lad, when this wee rooster strutted about the floor.

I hope and pray that the "big boul" of lovely broth that I was once served,was not all the tastier for "SCROGER" ,as she "Christened him" being in that lovely mix.!

Pennywhistle

« Reply #3851 on: February 05, 2010, 11:04:09 PM »
 :hi: "ANDY"! I see that between posts that the" FORUM CHIEF-OF-STAFF"  HAS CENSORED PART OF MY PURPLE PROSE!. I am using your LATEST POST  TO VERY
QUICKLY APOLOGISE  for my lapse into what once was a common term,that is reference to the gender of a male fowl  !!!! I must revisit the Political Correctness Manual"!! :read:

"SORRY CHRIS" ! Hope I haven't accured penalty points on my "FORUM LICENCE"

Rangerover

« Reply #3852 on: February 05, 2010, 11:09:17 PM »
Master McGrath Dog Food..... I bet you have a lot of people who had eaten an "Indian" in that joint scratching their heads now  :D

A liitle off topic I know, but do you remember some of the first restuarants that stayed open late in Belfast ?

The ones that I recall are the Moka in North Street, the Venice Cafe at Carlisle Circus, it was a famous "pit stop" for showbands, Kens Cafe at the Bridge end, lets face it Belfast was not geared up for late night dining in those days lolll

And finally if you needed petrol late at night it was like looking for water in the sahara desert =)))

The only two filling stations that remained open all night in those days were Harry Fergusons in Authur Street and another filling station in Oxford Street , just about where the Waterfront Hall is built.
And it was strictly petrol only, there were no shops attached to garages in those days, gosh when you think back, between those famous "Belfast Sundays" where everything was closed and the severe lack of late night services we were far behind the times in Belfast.

carbolicsoap

« Reply #3853 on: February 05, 2010, 11:14:40 PM »
:hi: "ANDY"! I see that between posts that the" FORUM CHIEF-OF-STAFF"  HAS CENSORED PART OF MY PURPLE PROSE!. I am using your LATEST POST  TO VERY
QUICKLY APOLOGISE  for my lapse into what once was a common term,that is reference to the gender of a male fowl  !!!! I must revisit the Political Correctness Manual"!! :read:

"SORRY CHRIS" ! Hope I haven't accured penalty points on my "FORUM LICENCE"

I don't think you should worry about it too much....certain words are banned and will automatically come up as censored.If you cross the line,they will let you know! ;)

carbolicsoap

« Reply #3854 on: February 05, 2010, 11:16:39 PM »
Master McGrath Dog Food..... I bet you have a lot of people who had eaten an "Indian" in that joint scratching their heads now  :D 

The people of Sandy row never looked as good....they all had shiny coats. :D