Author Topic: Burns Family Jamaica Street  (Read 2419 times)

osulli

Burns Family Jamaica Street
« on: October 18, 2011, 10:46:13 PM »
Could anyone please help with information about the Burns family who lived in Jamaica Street in the Ardoyne between the 1920s and 1960s? I am trying to trace information about any of the following:

Catherine Henry (Nee Burns) and Edward Burns. They were the parents of my grandmother - Mary Margaret Burns. I know that she had a sister - Isabella, or Bella - and a brother Rocky (I don't know his Christian name) who I think was a rag and bone man. She may have also had another brother who died in a house fire in Belfast. I am trying to trace any information relating to my family during the period. My grandmother lived in Scotland before settling in Birmingham - my father and his brothers were all born in Belfast as she returned home every time that she was pregnant.

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

bobdenn

CMcG

Re: Burns Family Jamaica Street
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 04:26:00 AM »
If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

maura

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 10:56:59 AM »
St Peter's R.C. church Belfast 6th Feb 1915
Edward Burns
address 100 Servia street
occupation carter
aged F/A
Father James Burns a carter
Catherine Henry
address 8 Servia street
occupation factory worker
adged F/A
Father Felix Henry a labourer
Witnesses John Short & Mary Henry

maura

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 11:02:10 AM »
Burn's
Census Years
Antrim
Falls
Gibson Street
Residents of a house
Residents of a house 6 in Gibson Street (Falls, Antrim)

Henry's

Antrim
Falls
Tralee Street
Residents of a house
Residents of a house 12 in Tralee Street (Falls, Antrim)

osulli

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 06:14:33 PM »
Thank you to everyone who has replied - that has been a great help. I hadn't known my great grandparents names or the year of their marriage. Genuine thanks.

CMcG

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 07:17:33 PM »
A few more records... with the customary transcription errors:

Type             Civil MarriagesDate Of Marriage       13/01/1880Husband Firstname       FELIXHusband Surname      HENRYHusband Townland / Street   17 TERESA STHusband Occupation       MECHANICHusband Age         21Husband Denomination       Roman CatholicHusband Marital Status   Bachelor (Previously unmarried)Husband Father Firstname    JAMESHusband Father Surname    HENRYHusband Father Occupation    LABOURERHusband Mother Firstname    Husband Mother Surname    Husband Witness Firstname    ROSETTAHusband Witness Surname    MCGUICKANWife Firstname       ELLENWife Surname         MCGUICKANWife Townland / Street   12 MURDOCK STWife Occupation       WEAVERWife Age         22Wife Denomination       Roman CatholicWife Marital Status      Spinster (Previously unmarried)Wife Father Firstname    TIMOTHYWife Father Surname       MCGUICKANWife Father Occupation    MECHANICWife Mother Firstname    Wife Mother Surname       Wife Witness Firstname    MICHAELWife Witness Surname       BARRYDenomination          Comment          REV T QUIN MARRIED IN ST PETER'S.Address1           BELFAST Roman CatholicAddress2              BELFASTAddress2              SHANKILL KNOCKBREDA HOLYWOODAddress4           Antrim

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parish/ District     ST PETER'SDate Of Birth    16/07/1896Date of Baptism / Registration   17/07/1896First name       VERONICASurname       HENRYSex          FemaleDenomination       Roman CatholicFathers Firstname    FELIXFathers Surname    HENRYFathers Occupation    Mother Firstname    ELLENMother Surname    MCGUCKINWitness1 Firstname    JANEWitness1 Surname    LAVERYWitness2 Firstname    Witness2 Surname    Address1       105 ROSS STAddress2       BELFASTAddress3          Address4      AntrimComment1          Comment2          REV J OBOYLE.
If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 07:24:10 PM »
Not so sure about this one, so keep it on file until you can prove or disprove:

Type             Civil MarriagesDate Of Marriage       13/10/1886Husband Firstname       JAMESHusband Surname      BURNSHusband Townland / Street   DERRYLAND HANNAHSTOWNHusband Occupation       FARMERHusband Age         FAHusband Denomination       Roman CatholicHusband Marital Status   Bachelor (Previously unmarried)Husband Father Firstname    JONHHusband Father Surname    BURNSHusband Father OccupationFARMERHusband Mother Firstname    Husband Mother Surname    Husband Witness Firstname    EDWARDHusband Witness Surname    BURNSWife Firstname       CATHERINEWife Surname         MALLONWife Townland / Street   BUDOREWife Occupation       FARMERS DAUGHTERWife Age         FAWife Denomination       Roman CatholicWife Marital Status      Spinster (Previously unmarried)Wife Father Firstname    HUGHWife Father Surname       MALLONWife Father Occupation    FARMERWife Mother Firstname    Wife Mother Surname       Wife Witness Firstname    ISABELLAWife Witness Surname       MALLINDenomination          Comment          G CONWAY P P MARRIED IN ST JOSEPH'S MGR: HUSBAND'S FATHER DECEASED.Address1           BELFAST Roman CatholicAddress2              BELFASTAddress2              SHANKILL KNOCKBREDA HOLYWOODAddress4           Antrim

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parish/ District     HANNAHSTOWN ROCK & DERRIAGHYDate Of Birth    26/03/1894Date of Baptism / Registration   26/03/1894First name       EDWARDSurname       BURNSSex          MaleDenomination       Roman CatholicFathers Firstname    JAMESFathers Surname    BURNSFathers Occupation    Mother Firstname    CATHERINEMother Surname    MALLONWitness1 Firstname    ALEXANDERWitness1 Surname    WALLACEWitness2 Firstname    ROSEWitness2 Surname    MALLONAddress1       TURNAROYAddress2      Address3           LisburnAddress4      AntrimComment1          Comment2          REV B MCCARTAN œ0 2 6.

breenbox

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 08:14:19 PM »
Could anyone please help with information about the Burns family who lived in Jamaica Street in the Ardoyne between the 1920s and 1960s? I am trying to trace information about any of the following:

Catherine Henry (Nee Burns) and Edward Burns. They were the parents of my grandmother - Mary Margaret Burns. I know that she had a sister - Isabella, or Bella - and a brother Rocky (I don't know his Christian name) who I think was a rag and bone man. She may have also had another brother who died in a house fire in Belfast. I am trying to trace any information relating to my family during the period. My grandmother lived in Scotland before settling in Birmingham - my father and his brothers were all born in Belfast as she returned home every time that she was pregnant.

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Burns family are well known in Ardoyne. They did live in Jamaica Street and 'Rocky' was a rag man. I believe his brother did die in a house fire. I think Rocky had two sons went to the same school as myself.. only ever knew them by their nicknames 'skin' and 'fat' Burns.
I moved away from Ardoyne a long time ago, so, sorry I can't be of more help.
Your best bet is to try one of the Ardoyne threads, someone on there will definately be able to help you. Good luck.
You'll never plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

breenbox

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 08:48:02 PM »
1980  Belfast Sreet directory has a John Burns at 125 Jamaica Street, occupation shown as a dealer.
You'll never plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

[email protected]

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 05:16:24 AM »
I'm not sure if this post that I'm leaving will ever be seen by anyone with any interest but I lived in Alliance Avenue in Ardoyne as a child from the very early 70's until 82-3. One of my best friends there was Sean (Seany) Burns. His mother was Bell/ Isabell Burns. Daughter of well known rag and bone man Rocky Burns. She and her family (Sean,Sharon,Alan and Mark) lived 3 doors up from the shops at the very bottom of the street. Everybody knew Bell. She had two brothers who she always spoke of ( John and Gerard ) or (Fat and Skin) as they were known, and a sister who I think was called Mary.  Bell has passed away a few years ago, Gerard was killed by persons allegedly connected with paramilitarism in the early-mid 90's. John moved to Antrim town and was someone I never met. Her children still live around the area.

Arder68

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2021, 09:25:27 PM »
I'm not sure if this post that I'm leaving will ever be seen by anyone with any interest but I lived in Alliance Avenue in Ardoyne as a child from the very early 70's until 82-3. One of my best friends there was Sean (Seany) Burns. His mother was Bell/ Isabell Burns. Daughter of well known rag and bone man Rocky Burns. She and her family (Sean,Sharon,Alan and Mark) lived 3 doors up from the shops at the very bottom of the street. Everybody knew Bell. She had two brothers who she always spoke of ( John and Gerard ) or (Fat and Skin) as they were known, and a sister who I think was called Mary.  Bell has passed away a few years ago, Gerard was killed by persons allegedly connected with paramilitarism in the early-mid 90's. John moved to Antrim town and was someone I never met. Her children still live around the area.

Arder68

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2021, 09:41:35 PM »
The Burns family lived in Jamaica Street In number 125 I think Bell was the daughter of Rocky who was a Rag and Bone man. BELL'S son shauny and her daughter Sharon I think live in Ligoniel now. JOHN also known as Fat moved to Antrim in the mid 80's but has since pasted away. Gerard also known as Skin was murdered in the late 80's early 90s apparently by members of the Paramilitaries . There was a fire at the house in Jamaica Street in which a Lady and young boy died if I'm not mistaken Alan was the boys name he was only 2or 3 years old and the Lady was Bell's mother I was about 6-7years old at the time so around 1974-75. I hope this helps.