Author Topic: the best bar in belfast  (Read 19461 times)

moondog2

Re: the best bar in belfast
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 01:46:28 PM »
John Hewitt.

Hasn't been discovered by tourists yet.

Great music, friendly barstaff.  Frequented by people of all ages - musicians, writers, artists, a few eccentrics, and the general after-work drunks.

Unlike the Duke of York which now has bouncers! Sad really.  It was a great bar for many years.  now it's a parody of itself.
 :)       THE JOHN HEWITT JUST VOTED BEST TOURISTS BAR   :drinks:
 :party:

machinehead

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 07:56:47 PM »

Hahaha....Voted by the owners?

You do get tourists in the John Hewitt but nowhere near the numbers that are crammed into the Duke of York.  Most of the Hewitt regulars know each other to some extent - even if it's just a nod or hello.
It's a great wee pub. :)

moondog2

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 09:41:49 PM »
YES WE DO PASS PLEASENTRIES ,,,BETTER THAN  A GRUNT OR HOLD ON TILL I SEE THIS RACE, >:D ,,,NO TV /RADIO IN HEWITTS

buttercup

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 09:04:22 PM »
 At last a bar without all those disturbing T.v.s, conversation killers , will be back in Belfast in the summer next year and definately go to John Hewitts . :-* 

andytownbob

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 08:14:03 PM »

Pastie Bap

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 10:34:05 AM »
Hewitt is very variable with what's on and hence the crowd.  It can be great craic or pretentious to the point of being irritating.  Overall definitely one of Belfast's better bars though.

Duke Of York is a good spot outside of the weekend evenings when it's packed past the point at which I can be arsed with it.

If you can make the door, which is an odd science, the Spaniard is pleasant spot for a few.

Taphouse (ex-Fly) if you fancy watching rugby.

Out of the City a bit, Horatio Todds has a nice atmosphere about it but it's a bit "plastic-y" in the decor stakes.

Overall I can't really pick a "best" as it depends on my mood & what I'm out for (session with the mates, few with the Mrs., watch sport...)
Cosmically you are exactly where you're supposed to be.

Jack The Kipper

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 07:47:08 AM »
At last a bar without all those disturbing T.v.s, conversation killers , will be back in Belfast in the summer next year and definately go to John Hewitts . :-*

It's not for me, they don't sell Smithwicks, but they do sell 'Yuppie' beers that no one seems to drink...strange.
God bless you President Trump.

BeakerRingo

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2012, 05:48:48 PM »
Gonna have to say Auntie Annie's. I know it lost a lot of business when Filthy's opened but it's been my regular haunt for years. Great Guinness, great bar staff, bouncers who aren't (censored ).
Decent spot for live music too.
I could dance with you til the cows came home.  On second thoughts, I'd rather dance with the cows til YOU came home.

pedrobnb

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2012, 12:49:07 PM »
VBar. Used to be there every Saturday like clockwork when I lived there. Great music (on a Sat anyway), great girls, a smashing time.

Lavery's is not bad for a pint and a round of pool either.

oilyrag

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2012, 02:37:20 AM »
the last time I was in Auntie Annies , I was ok until I went into the loo , the stench , bejezus ,nearly made  me throw up. ... what a waist of 9 pints of guinni that would 'ave been.
so drunk to hell I left the place , sometimes crawling sometimes walking

BeakerRingo

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 12:39:18 PM »
the last time I was in Auntie Annies , I was ok until I went into the loo , the stench , bejezus ,nearly made  me throw up. ... what a waist of 9 pints of guinni that would 'ave been.

:bad:   :D
I could dance with you til the cows came home.  On second thoughts, I'd rather dance with the cows til YOU came home.

Ulsteryank

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 01:20:41 PM »
Kelly's Cellars used to be my favourite, but it has changed a bit in the last couple years.  I used to go because it was your typical pub without a t.v with good trad session, but last I was in it was more touristy than what it was, there was hip-hop playing on the digital jukebox thing, and the band that came on played American folk songs. Not a bad night, but I went solely looking for a trad session, and also the nice upstairs bit where I took a few Irish classes in front of the fire is now an Indian restaurant .

Maddens was a good alternative, which is still kicken I see, but when it is it's hard to get a pint, and when it's not I just end up listening to stories for ages. When that happened I used to go to the Sitting Room, which I saw was closed now?

I saw Auntie Annies mentioned. Used to live almost opposite of it, and would stop in everytime I did a Tescos run. I remember it would get bummed up with varying drink prices, so if Filthy's did take some of the business I might try stopping by more often  :)

oilyrag

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 11:28:48 AM »
I was in John Hewitts a couple of weeks ago. Thought great a group in the 'pen' fiddles and banjo should be some good music. We sat on the elevated chairs and table in the far corner ,a good people watching spot and directly across from the 'pen'. To cut a long story short the place smelt of dirty mop , and the bad mannered crowd wouldn't shut the f##k up when the group started, infact the volume of chitchat increased.After a few Guinni left the place and went around the corner to the Duke of York.
It was flippen mobbed , there were more outside in the alley way than inside. Popped into the Dark Horse diagionally opposite , and quickly found a table and listened to a solo guitarist / singer. Nice place until it was toilet time , unbelievable there is only one bog and for both sexes so its quicker to go back out down the alleyway and use the Duke of Yorks. The females bog opposite had a couple of hard nosed female door people guarding the entrance taking 50p from any girl that wanted to use the facility.
Down the road to the Spaniard pub, good job there was no 'cat swinging' competion on , me grannys coal hole is bigger. This head the ball came up and started talking, more like an interegation , where ya from , what ya doing here.When he went outside to use the phone we scooted across the road to the Cloth Ear , used by the folk from the Merchant Hotel , that may want to mix with the peasants. loads of space and plenty of talent to eye ball.
Best place I found for space, people, entertainment was Benedicts.

Sally Ann

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2012, 04:27:37 AM »
Ulsteryank, have to agree with you 100% regarding Kelly's Cellars now!

Maybe I'm gong back more years than you've being about, Ahem! LOL Like I'm talking 1970's - 80's! :)

When I worked in Town, met me Ma there most everyday for lunch - BTW, yep!  I still lived at home with her!  :D  Thing was, with us both working in Town, then the aul bowl of stew was suffice for us as the days dinner! Neither of us had to make one, or do the washing up when we got home!  ;) That aside.

Most Thursday & Friday nights there was the Trad session upstairs, with such groups as Pinch of Snuff, The Freemen, Wolfhounds, Blackthorn etc., etc..  Plus I, and whoever was with me, never had to pay in as the Doorman / Bouncer knew us as regulars - happy days!  It was the place I met with my cousins in on a Friday after work, and if I managed to get all my house chores done in time, off I went on a Saturday afternoon - I wasn't even a drinker pre sť then, -  a bottle of cider & a bottle of Gui, would have done me for hours!  It was the craic and the characters that drew people to the place.  Sadly, yes, it has now being bastArdised in every form and fashion, to suit, or fit in with, the Touristy Crowd - just like the Crown Bar has.

More to the point, there is NO-where hardly, that one can now go too, to simply sit listen, and enjoy a good aul Irish Traditional Music Session!  Back in the days I'm speaking off, from Castle St, right the way up the Falls, to Andytown / Glen, there was some pub or club, which would have had sessions going every night of the week!  Even the August Festival - sure you'd have to be from some far off land to get a ticket till the gigs now!  ::)
I only got drunk, I never got stupid!

oilyrag

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2012, 05:09:57 AM »
SALLY ANN nice right up , couldn't agree more. There used to be a spot behind the old town hall , think it was called The Pound.....people used to listen to music them days and have the good manners ta button it. .ah happy days , must be getting old.