Author Topic: The old rag and bone merchants  (Read 1378 times)

unityflats

The old rag and bone merchants
« on: November 08, 2011, 06:23:54 AM »
These were hardy people they worked through all weathers.
Having hot coffee is my habitual pleasure(with milk and 2 sugars.

tboy

Re: The old rag and bone merchants
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 08:16:52 PM »
These were hardy people they worked through all weathers.
er ahem etc. the merchants didn't work out in all weathers it was the likes of yerself dear ;)

johnnymac

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 10:54:45 PM »
The rag and bone men of yesteryear were real characters. The one that I remember best was Dennis (Dinny) Hanna. He had to push the cart himself when the horse wasn't well. In the late 1950's he was a common sight in west Belfast dispensing balloons or sometimes cups for bundles of rags. Later he would sort the clothing into:

1. Good quality stuff that could be sold on through a clothes dealer.
2. Woollen garments that could be sold to a local merchant who also accepted scrap.
3. Rags that were only worth about 20% of the price of woollens.

But for us kids it was Dinny's horse that was the main attraction. We loved to grab handfuls of grass to feed it.

moondog2

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 10:17:14 PM »
SAMMY DANKER RAG STORE IN THOMAS STREET WAS OUR LOCAL

unityflats

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 01:53:17 AM »
The old rag and penny men were legends
Having hot coffee is my habitual pleasure(with milk and 2 sugars.

patrick clarke

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 10:33:40 PM »
paddy caulfield..he lived next door to us in letitia street..he was a quiet lonly man who liked a drink
we are all here for a short time

Janinejay94

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 11:33:49 PM »
Dennis (dinny hanna) was my granda from Ballymurphy Crescent, so good to see he’s still remembered and I appreciate hearing so many lovely stories about him and especially being able to tell my mum about all the lovely stories people remember about her dad, if anyone’s got any photos or any other stories please do send in would love to hear more

Allcut

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 02:19:06 PM »
Dennis (dinny hanna) was my granda from Ballymurphy Crescent, so good to see he’s still remembered and I appreciate hearing so many lovely stories about him and especially being able to tell my mum about all the lovely stories people remember about her dad, if anyone’s got any photos or any other stories please do send in would love to hear more
I knew your grandfather very well and all the family, I'm trying to remember the oldest daughters name but it's been a long time, Mary is the name that keeps coming to me but I can't recall, I lived at number 2 Ballymurphy Drive and if your mum was the oldest girl she will remember me very well, your grandmother would always open the window when I was passing and ask me if "Want a wee feg son?" Lovely lovely family  :)

Janinejay94

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 09:27:47 PM »

Awk that’s good to hear some we stories all about them the oldest girl in the family was Bride then the second I think your talking about is Marie and the 3rd one is my mummy Jeannie, awk it’s good to hear about some we memories and people still remember especially about her mummy as she passed away when my mummy was at a young age, my mummy said was you one of the cackles

Allcut

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2021, 09:37:02 PM »

Awk that’s good to hear some we stories all about them the oldest girl in the family was Bride then the second I think your talking about is Marie and the 3rd one is my mummy Jeannie, awk it’s good to hear about some we memories and people still remember especially about her mummy as she passed away when my mummy was at a young age, my mummy said was you one of the cackles
Hi, no, I knew Bridie very well, just couldn't recall the name, I was one of the Corrs, my mother's name was Florrie she was a great friend.of your grandmother, your grandparents lived beside the Dickson's, beside them was McCullough, and just across from them was us, all good neighbours  ::)

Janinejay94

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2021, 09:39:59 PM »
Yes my mummy said she knows use now your mummy and her mummy where very close friends,  she said is there a Danny in your family she just about remembers she’s not to sure lol

Allcut

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2021, 09:43:41 PM »
Yes my mummy said she knows use now your mummy and her mummy where very close friends,  she said is there a Danny in your family she just about remembers she’s not to sure lol
Lol...yes, I'm Danny, glad she remembers me and hope that everyone is keeping well in these uncertain times

Janinejay94

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2021, 09:50:21 PM »
Yes she says she remembers you and you had a sister too she remembers, she said your mummy sat in her house many nights with her mummy with cups of tea and she remembers your mummy knitting she loved knitting and your mummy tried to learn my mummy lol she said she was a lovely woman, she said the clan is doing great hope use are also doing good at these uncertain times

Allcut

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2021, 08:30:30 AM »
Yes she says she remembers you and you had a sister too she remembers, she said your mummy sat in her house many nights with her mummy with cups of tea and she remembers your mummy knitting she loved knitting and your mummy tried to learn my mummy lol she said she was a lovely woman, she said the clan is doing great hope use are also doing good at these uncertain times
Yes, I had two sisters both unfortunately passed away now, my mother.was great at the knitting, alway a pair of knitting needles on the go lol could knit for Ireland she loved it, I was thinking and it's Bridie I remember very well, blonde hair if I've got it right, but I can assure you that the whole family were a lovely family and that "Wee feg" from your grandmother bwas always very welcome lol  :D

Allcut

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2021, 08:33:16 AM »
Please give my regards to your whole family, especially Bridie  ::)