Author Topic: Athletic Stores  (Read 4684 times)

Mo Wilson

Re: Athletic Stores
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 09:52:58 PM »
Hi CMcG
There's no hiding place!!
Great info.
Many thanks
MO

Mo Wilson

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 09:55:21 PM »
Hi jmac
Can't be sure about Arthur Street
but have an open mind

MO

CMcG

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 10:27:24 PM »
Was SS Moore's not in Arthur St.?

Your grey matter is fine jmac, here's the 1959 directory:

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Seaviewite

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 06:28:22 AM »
SS Mores always was in Arthur Street although it has moved along a bit.

The Athletic Stores was in Wellington Place on the corner of Queen Street.  It was a wonderful store in those days 50's, 60's and into the 70's.
The basement was a "wonderland" for fans of the lesser sports and had some toys as well games and especially Subbuteo. Table Tennis, Badminton, Squash etc it featured them all.
Was blown up/bombed/burned out sometime in the early 70's. A sad day for me, I love to browse the place.
When at Thy call my weary feet I turn
The gates of paradise are opened wide
At Goodison I know a man can learn
Rapture more rich than Anfield can pr

Bread Basket

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 02:50:16 PM »
There will be lots of ex-coppers who remember the exact location the Athletic Stores in Wellington Place. .as I saw quite a few loading up their vehicles with some pluck after it was involved in a Bomb / Fire in the early seventies. Not quite as bad as what went on after the Co Op in York Street got the same treatment.
Tut Tut.   :o :o

bridge ender

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 04:36:11 PM »
the athletic stores in Wellington was on the corner of Queen St was a very large store before it was bombed in the 70s

BE
Life is lived forwards and understood backwards.

Mo Wilson

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2011, 04:55:50 PM »
Hi CMcG

Sorry not sure what thread I was on earlier but came across one of your photos, of your dad and two friends, and you were wondering exactly where it was taken.
Don't know if you have since found out but it would seem to be Royal Avenue, the Bank of Ireland building, with the white facade, can be seen in the background, at the corner of Royal Ave.and North Street. It was very common to have these street photos taken, I have several of my parents and myself.

Cheers

MO

CMcG

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2011, 06:27:56 PM »
Hi CMcG

Sorry not sure what thread I was on earlier but came across one of your photos, of your dad and two friends, and you were wondering exactly where it was taken.
Don't know if you have since found out but it would seem to be Royal Avenue, the Bank of Ireland building, with the white facade, can be seen in the background, at the corner of Royal Ave.and North Street. It was very common to have these street photos taken, I have several of my parents and myself.

Cheers

MO

Yes, I always thought it must be in the Donegall Place / Royal Avenue area, just because of the size of street. I thought the white background was City Hall but I have to admit, it could be the Bank of Ireland. Changed times and fashions!
If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

BigAl94

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 07:14:39 PM »
I remember that the basement used to flood when there was a spring tide, family bought first tent there in the early 60's.

norma

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 09:15:56 AM »
My grandfather started the Athletic Stores and his three sons Victor, Edwin (My father ) and Eric inherited the business from him .My father died at the age of about 40 and the two other brothers remained.
My Grandfather came from a farming family near Killinchy and family lore has it that he would walk daily to the outskirts of Belfast in his bare feet carrying his boots to save them, only wearing them to the "Stores" which he built up.
The first day he opened he stood all day waiting for a customer but no one came until he was ready to close at 9 oclock at night a woman came through the door asking to buy a "penny stamp"
My grandfather said he served her "like royalty" and wore the gold sovereign she gave in payment on his watch chain all his life.After he dies my grandmother wore it on her bracelet but in later life it fell off and she thought it was gone forever,
She lived in the family house "Roslyn" on the corner of Ward Avenue and Ballyholme road and one day weeks later my father was walking home and saw something glinting in the gutter---it was the bracelet!
When she died the the bracelet was taken up to the Athletic Stores and put in the safe for safe keeping, Then the "Stores" was bombed and everything was lost ----except for the bracelet and sovereign which miraculously was found in the rubble.
It then came to me and eventually I gave it to my son to be passed on to his children.Sadly it was stolen from his home and has never been seen since.
I am now in my eighties and live happily in Italy.
Norma Joseph (Blakely)

Chattie

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 09:42:59 AM »
Welcome to the forum Norma.  What a fascinating story.  When I passed the Qually I was taken to the Athletic Stores to get the tennis racquet and hockey stick which were required for grammar school.  Sadly, I had no talent at either sport, but I still remember the excitement of being 'fitted' for the right length of hockey stick (Indian head was the preferred style) and the right weight and heft of tennis racquet - a wooden one with a press to guard against warping.  This was 1962 and the shop was in Wellington place, on the corner of Queen Street.

BigAl94

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 09:56:03 AM »
The store beside C&A in Donegall Place was Thorntons which also sold sports goods and toys. It closed down in the mid 60's, I remember buying Scalextric bits and pieces at bargain prices in the closing down sale!

norma

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2014, 11:07:44 AM »
Just a further post about the Athletic Stores and Wellington Place---The shop next door was "Morgan's"a very stylish dress shop which belonged to My Mother's cousins----so Wellington Place was very much a "Family Business" for both sides of my family!
Norma Joseph ( Blakely)

Giannineo

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2014, 11:32:02 AM »
The store beside C&A in Donegall Place was Thorntons which also sold sports goods and toys. It closed down in the mid 60's, I remember buying Scalextric bits and pieces at bargain prices in the closing down sale!
you must have been in the queue with me-it was anoounced on telly that the store was clsoing the following day and everything was half price.I was there first thing in the morning  and bought Scalextric  and a hockey bag.I met Mrs. Thornton many year later in Broughty Ferry by Dundee.

Giannineo

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2014, 11:42:21 AM »
My grandfather started the Athletic Stores and his three sons Victor, Edwin (My father ) and Eric inherited the business from him .My father died at the age of about 40 and the two other brothers remained.
My Grandfather came from a farming family near Killinchy and family lore has it that he would walk daily to the outskirts of Belfast in his bare feet carrying his boots to save them, only wearing them to the "Stores" which he built up.
The first day he opened he stood all day waiting for a customer but no one came until he was ready to close at 9 oclock at night a woman came through the door asking to buy a "penny stamp"
My grandfather said he served her "like royalty" and wore the gold sovereign she gave in payment on his watch chain all his life.After he dies my grandmother wore it on her bracelet but in later life it fell off and she thought it was gone forever,
She lived in the family house "Roslyn" on the corner of Ward Avenue and Ballyholme road and one day weeks later my father was walking home and saw something glinting in the gutter---it was the bracelet!
When she died the the bracelet was taken up to the Athletic Stores and put in the safe for safe keeping, Then the "Stores" was bombed and everything was lost ----except for the bracelet and sovereign which miraculously was found in the rubble.
It then came to me and eventually I gave it to my son to be passed on to his children.Sadly it was stolen from his home and has never been seen since.
I am now in my eighties and live happily in Italy.
Norma Joseph (Blakely)
Wonderful story and what a great shop.We were a sporty family and were always in and out of the store and S.S.Moores, Joe Boylan who restrung our badminton racquets,  and Thorntons.I always wanted the huge Dunlop Max Ply Tennis racket dispalyed in the shop window.I remember when the store was on fire when it was bombed( a moronic and senseless act).A television reporter was nearby  and describing the scene  of how one of Belfast's landmarks was on fire. He said that a very sad aspect was  seeing people walk by paying little attention as the bombings were an everyday and common place event.
                 I was fortunate to get good discount in S.S.Moores as the boys went to Methody and gave a hefty discount to Methody pupils. I could have spent many hours in The Athletic Stores deciding on  which hockey stick, cricket bat, badminton racquet, table tennis bat  or whatever and there was always good advice on hand .