Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 264845 times)

olelad

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #1065 on: May 12, 2013, 09:27:53 PM »
Olelad,   Cregagh tartan were our great foe.   As luck would have it I never got a kicking.   If the odds were against us we ran, if not we got our retaliation in first.  Several good slappings were dished out to those miscreants, and methinks they were well deserved.   After 5 years of Gusties we were battle hardened  !!

wot part of the manor was u from  ?

thebell

« Reply #1066 on: June 10, 2013, 09:30:18 PM »
look stop all this chippie talk. id die for a pastie supper
best to all

ritchies on the woodstock was a cracker

olelad

« Reply #1067 on: June 11, 2013, 01:46:50 PM »
look stop all this chippie talk. id die for a pastie supper
best to all

here m8 u alway liked your pastie suppers alright ! none to beat richies back in day. wrapped in the tele, if the vinegar didnt ruin the page you could read the day before headlines

olelad

« Reply #1068 on: June 25, 2013, 06:22:03 PM »
on the main woodstock rd between tildarg st and olgivie st there lived a guy harry boyd although not sure if thats the correct  surname. anyone remember him ?

Rose8

« Reply #1069 on: July 04, 2013, 12:44:10 AM »
was given this pic recently and thought it would bring back some (good or bad) memories of the old chippy!!
From ROSE :)
St Anthony's School story is at:  http://www.saintanthony.co.uk/page4.html

olelad

« Reply #1070 on: July 04, 2013, 02:11:35 PM »
was given this pic recently and thought it would bring back some (good or bad) memories of the old chippy!!

nice one rose and welcome back. wonder wot year that snap was taken ? the chippy isnt how i remember it tbh. i remember well when it first opened around late 70/71 ? and tbh i though it was at the corner of daddy winkers lane and not looking as it does there. had it been done up differant ? funny but now that i see the photo i think the supermaket was on the corner and the chippy next but im confused  :D  one thing im not confused about is that its one chippy i want to no more than once if ever i did at all. agood kicking to match your fish supper was something you could do without !

Rose8

« Reply #1071 on: July 05, 2013, 06:07:34 PM »
wonder wot year that snap was taken ? the chippy isnt how i remember it tbh. i remember well when it first opened around late 70/71 ? and tbh i though it was at the corner of daddy [censored] lane and not looking as it does there. had it been done up differant ? funny but now that i see the photo i think the supermaket was on the corner and the chippy next but im confused  :D   

Och well Tony thats what happens when you get older  :(  things do tend to get a bit "hazy"  ??? ??? . I do believe when it opened that the supermarket (before Stewarts) was on the corner before it moved to its present site at Tesco and I think it would have been sometime in the later 70's as I know in 1974 Radio Rentals had a place there. Interestingly the Cancer Research Campaign shop is still there today and does a roaring business. 
From ROSE :)
St Anthony's School story is at:  http://www.saintanthony.co.uk/page4.html

kato087

« Reply #1072 on: July 18, 2013, 05:32:42 PM »
what a joy its been to find this site, so many memories from my child hood coming back,who am i ,im kathleen maguire i used to live in 17 willowfield drive and like so many other families we left suddenly in 1972 i am the eldest of 9 kids we went to st anthonys and i later went to st monicas ihave lost touch with everyone i knew as a child ,im sure i must know some of you as i recognise a lot of names
here are some random names and thoughts from the past does it ring any bells

CRILLYS AND MC CREADYS  NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOURS GERALDINE MCCREADY IS MY BROTHERS GODMOTHER ,I REMEMBER MOYA MCCREADY GETTING A LIFT HOME WITH A BAND I THINK IT WAS DAVE DEE DOZY ETC WE THOUGHT IT WAS THE BEATLES MR MCCREADY USED TO GIVE US MONEY FOR SWEETS AFTER MASS EVERY SUN
THE DAWSONS NO 9 VINCENT AND PEGGY AND ALL THEIR SONS AND THEIR ONLY DAUGHTER SUE WHO WAS A GREAT FRIEND
MARINA AND PHILIP WATSON THE WEIRS VINCENT BRIAN BETTY AND COLIN
THE CRAIGMILES LIVED IN THE BARRACKS
GORDONS CHEMIST ON THE CORNER
HUGH FINLAY AND HIS SISTERS TINY AND EILEEN
SISTER BERNADINA  A SADIST AND A TYRANT  WE COULDNT WEAR TROUSERS EVEN ON A SATURDAY SHE WOULD COME INTO YOUR HOUSE AND HIT YOU. SISTER MARY FRANCIS MY FIRST TEACHER
MCMANUSS SHOP  WILDYS SHOP WENT TO SCHOOL WITH PATRICIA
BRIAN GRANT I REMEMBER THE DAY HIS FAMILY MOVED INTO THE DRIVE
CLEMENT MCILHATTON HE TAUGHT ME AND SUE DAWSON HOW TO SMOKE
I REMEMBER A MAN ON A BIKE SELLING BLEACH
MARY AND PATRICIA MARTIN  TWINS
PATRICIA BARDON  SHE LOVED DANCING SHE ACTUALLY HAD TAP SHOES VERY POSH 
PHILOMENA MALLON  JOYCELYN STREET THE PHONE BOX AT THE TOP OF THE STREET
A LOVELY GIRL CAROLINE CANT REMEMBER HER SURNAME LIVED IN
WILLOWFIELD GARDENS
MARY SHORT  MOVED EITHER TO ARDOYNE OR ANDY TOWN
DADDY WINKERS LANE
SCHOOL TOUR TO CUSHENDALL
WE WERE ON SONGS OF PRAISE WITH THE BOYS FROM ST AGUSTINES FROM ROWALLEN GARDENS
LOVE TO HEAR FROM SOME OF YOU, IT MUST BE QUITE UNUSUAL FOR SO MANY PEOPLE TO MOVE AWAY FROM THEIR CHILDHOOD NEIGHBOURHOOD

bjay

« Reply #1073 on: July 18, 2013, 07:11:25 PM »
Knew a young lady named Josephine Maguire originally from that locality  :(

Buckets

« Reply #1074 on: July 18, 2013, 10:35:41 PM »
what a joy its been to find this site, so many memories from my child hood coming back,who am i ,im kathleen maguire i used to live in 17 willowfield drive and like so many other families we left suddenly in 1972 i am the eldest of 9 kids we went to st anthonys and i later went to st monicas ihave lost touch with everyone i knew as a child ,im sure i must know some of you as i recognise a lot of names

CRILLYS AND MC CREADYS  NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOURS GERALDINE MCCREADY IS MY BROTHERS GODMOTHER ,I REMEMBER MOYA MCCREADY GETTING A LIFT HOME WITH A BAND I THINK IT WAS DAVE DEE DOZY ETC WE THOUGHT IT WAS THE BEATLES MR MCCREADY USED TO GIVE US MONEY FOR SWEETS AFTER MASS EVERY SUN
THE DAWSONS NO 9 VINCENT AND PEGGY AND ALL THEIR SONS AND THEIR ONLY DAUGHTER SUE WHO WAS A GREAT FRIEND
SISTER BERNADINA  A SADIST AND A TYRANT  WE COULDNT WEAR TROUSERS EVEN ON A SATURDAY SHE WOULD COME INTO YOUR HOUSE AND HIT YOU. SISTER MARY FRANCIS MY FIRST TEACHER
WILLOWFIELD GARDENS
DADDY [censored] LANE
WE WERE ON SONGS OF PRAISE WITH THE BOYS FROM ST AGUSTINES FROM ROWALLEN GARDENS
LOVE TO HEAR FROM SOME OF YOU, IT MUST BE QUITE UNUSUAL FOR SO MANY PEOPLE TO MOVE AWAY FROM THEIR CHILDHOOD NEIGHBOURHOOD

Yes, names ring bells,  my Grandmother Julia Callinan lived at no. 5 Willowfield drive, (until 1972) I used to go there a lot.
Mike. 

olelad

« Reply #1075 on: July 18, 2013, 11:14:05 PM »

WILLOWFIELD GARDENS
DADDY [censored] LANE

know a lot of the names mentioned there.  good old clem champion smoker  :D  clem posts on here from time 2 time.

bjay

« Reply #1076 on: July 20, 2013, 04:20:06 PM »
I recall Joe Mallon, Jocelyn Street, from St.Augustines.  One of the Dawson boys started 'Gusties at the same time, 1967.

Geoff Watters

« Reply #1077 on: August 09, 2013, 06:51:22 AM »
Just looking back on the thread about the guy who did the 11+ early. If memory serves me right someone did pass it when they were about 8. With a bit of a fight they got him into St Malachys and he had O levels and A levels all done by the time he was 15 ! But the university refused to take him until he was 18. Rumour had it that he went off the rails and ended up in England. Always wondered whatever happened to him and was his life a success
That might be me . . . I was at St Anthony's from 1958 to 1963 and left at the ripe old age of 8 to go to St Malachy's.  I'm Geoffrey Watters and we lived at 70 Willowfield Gardens, across from St Anthony's. All five of us went to primary school there -- Margaret, John, me, Eamonn and Caroline. My sisters both remember Sister Bernadina as a bitch on wheels. I only remember her screaming at me one time when I went round to the girls' playground to retrieve a ball that had gone over the wall. Once was enough.
A big Thank You to olelad for keeping this thread going for so long.  I stumbled across it a few days ago and the memories it has brought back are priceless. I recognize quite a few names and all the places. We were told to leave in October 1972. My dad Gerry and Eamonn, then 15, packed what they could into the car and got out before being burned out. I was already away in London at university and missed all the fun. Apparently some gunmen burst into a neighbour's house and shot it up one Saturday night. They moved out the next morning, Dad and Eamonn the day after. Our Protestant neighbours just watched and said nothing. We had always been friendly with them all, but that didn't matter any more. I didn't go back to Belfast for about 10 years and have visited only a few times since.
I was at St Malachy's till 1971. I did my O-levels at 13 and they made me do them again at 14 to kill time since I couldn't have gone to college at 15 anyway. Then I took A-levels at 16. Still too young, so I went to Methody for a year and took them again. Finally got into King's College London at 17 where I got a degree in French and Latin, not exactly off the rails I hope! I was at Methody in Jan 1972 when Bloody Sunday happened and I remember the stony silence at school the day after (I was one of only three fenians in the place at the time). But at least the Methody uniform might have saved me a few kickings on the Woodstock Road that year.
I remember walking home from the city centre one night in 1972 (no buses because of a curfew) and finding a barricade of cars across Woodstock Road at My Lady's Road. East Belfast was a no-go area. One of the cars was my da's! The proud defenders of Ulster's freedom had taken it off him at gunpoint earlier that evening. They found a rosary in the glove compartment and had painted 'taig car' along one side of the car. I was standing there looking at it when my dad came along and suggested we just go home. Good advice! The surprise outcome was that a cop from the Willowfield Barracks recovered the car and had it cleaned up and returned intact.
That reminds me of the Kerrs who had the fish shop a few yards away from where that barricade was. I've seen a few mentions earlier, thought I'd add my memory of doing judo with Bobby at a youth club up the Shankill Road. I would have been too scared to go there on my own but I would have fancied my chances against all comers if I was on his team. He skipped a couple of belts and scared the crap out of the hard men up there. I think he went a bit too far when he threw a black belt off the mat when the guy was trying to demonstrate some move or other. Never dared to call him Kipper myself. His dad was the best singer in the chapel too, all the other male voices kind of faded out when he started to sing.
So I was born in 1954 and left in 1972, but the place has never left me in spite of the bitterness at being kicked out for no reason other than being Catholic. I never really realised how common that experience was in East Belfast, always thought the people of the Falls and Ardoyne had the worst of it. Glad to see the spirit in these pages is so positive, and hope to see many more posts in the future!
By the way that swimming teacher at Templemore Avenue was Aaron Currie.
And I just had the thought that many of the posters here probably sat in the same pew waiting to make their confessions on some Saturday morning forty odd years ago!

bjay

« Reply #1078 on: August 09, 2013, 03:42:49 PM »
Geoff,   Methody has changed beyond recognition since your days there.   At times it is over 20% Catholic.       Same with Victoria College.  Inst takes pupils from the Falls and Markets, and BRA is full of Ardoyne kids.
Catholic children attending these type of schools scared the Bishops so much that they opened the biscuit tin and made money available to build a Catholic grammar school in South / East Belfast.
Aquinas Grammar School was built on the old St. Augustines site on the Ravenhill Road.  You may find this hard to believe but boys and girls share the same classroom nowadays.

Geoff Watters

« Reply #1079 on: August 09, 2013, 07:04:58 PM »
Glad to hear it, bjay. I didn't mean to be critical of Methody, I found the people there very civilised and enjoyed my time there. It was just that day nobody seemed to know what to say to me, and what could they say? So it dawned on me that this 'troubles' thing was not going to blow over, and that leaving would be for the best. Then suddenly I had nothing to come back to. All my family had dispersed, even my da's pub was destroyed by a bomb (after he had sold it).
I'm happy to hear that segregated education is on the way out, the sooner the better. It always seemed so unnatural, as did the separate boys' and girls' schools.
When were you at St Anthony's?