Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 237364 times)

olelad

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #1380 on: August 13, 2017, 04:50:00 PM »
http://youtu.be/Ycw5ZjP0-n0

seen this on another site. it plays onto civil rights in america.

was wondering were most of those who lived in the lower woodstock moved to ??? quite a few lived there.???????????????

kfosulliv

« Reply #1381 on: August 28, 2017, 11:19:12 PM »
Hello
I am trying to trace the Kellys at Ardpatrick Gardens, I think they are related to me and I am doing some family history.
Did they live at 28 Ardpatrick Gardens and was their father Michael Kelly?
I am a daughter of Michaels first cousin so I would be their second cousins. Anyone know how I might get in touch with the Greg mentioned on this forum?

Thanks

Rose8

« Reply #1382 on: August 30, 2017, 02:42:19 PM »
To Kfosulliv
Have sent you a private message.
From ROSE :)
St Anthony's School story is at:  http://www.saintanthony.co.uk/page4.html

olelad

« Reply #1383 on: February 23, 2018, 10:37:35 AM »
just heard the news about the death of paul gracey on 12 feb. he was in the same class as me at st anthonys until 1969. RIP

Marcas

« Reply #1384 on: July 31, 2018, 11:34:00 AM »
Was reading an article about Irish speakers in East Belfast and came across the Morton Family. The Mortons, an Irish speaking Catholic family lived in No 3 Clara St until 1955. The father, Richard Morton was a teacher at St Malachy's Christian Brothers Primary in Oxford St. He was highly respected in the area as he helped local people with literacy problems to fill out various official forms.

Richard was self - taught in Irish and he married Brid Mic Dhiarmada (Bridget McDermott), who was a native speaker from the Glenties in Donegal. They reared their children entirely through Irish. No effort was made to hide this from their neighbours in Protestant East Belfast. Richard was very proud of the language and always called the children in for dinner in Irish.

At that time only three or four families spoke Irish at home in Belfast. Few local Protestants knew the Irish language even existed. The children of Richard and Grid were Antaine, Diarmaid, Bridgín, Máire Róisín and Áine. I wonder if Áine Morton was my P1 teacher in St Anthony's back in the day ?

olelad

« Reply #1385 on: August 09, 2018, 04:18:38 PM »
Was reading an article about Irish speakers in East Belfast and came across the Morton Family. The Mortons, an Irish speaking Catholic family lived in No 3 Clara St until 1955. The father, Richard Morton was a teacher at St Malachy's Christian Brothers Primary in Oxford St. He was highly respected in the area as he helped local people with literacy problems to fill out various official forms.

Richard was self - taught in Irish and he married Brid Mic Dhiarmada (Bridget McDermott), who was a native speaker from the Glenties in Donegal. They reared their children entirely through Irish. No effort was made to hide this from their neighbours in Protestant East Belfast. Richard was very proud of the language and always called the children in for dinner in Irish.

At that time only three or four families spoke Irish at home in Belfast. Few local Protestants knew the Irish language even existed. The children of Richard and Grid were Antaine, Diarmaid, Bridgín, Máire Róisín and Áine. I wonder if Áine Morton was my P1 teacher in St Anthony's back in the day ?

never heard of them tbh. where abouts did they live

Shopkins

« Reply #1386 on: October 10, 2018, 05:47:19 PM »
St. Anthony's parish celebrates 80th anniversary on 16th October 2018. Anyone free to join us would be very welcome

olelad

« Reply #1387 on: October 18, 2018, 09:55:32 PM »
St. Anthony's parish celebrates 80th anniversary on 16th October 2018. Anyone free to join us would be very welcome

only just after seeing this/ pity I missed it. was there many at it ???????

olelad

« Reply #1388 on: November 03, 2018, 07:33:13 PM »
went to watch Cliftonville play glentoran today. just wanted to ask if anyone still supports glentoran after being put out of the east. I did support the glens until the raise of the red army late 70s. by the way the reds won 1 nil.

olelad

« Reply #1389 on: November 11, 2018, 06:53:56 AM »
went to watch Cliftonville play glentoran today. just wanted to ask if anyone still supports glentoran after being put out of the east. I did support the glens until the raise of the red army late 70s. by the way the reds won 1 nil.

tomorrow night the reds play newry city at 7.45. I will be at this game if anyone would like to meet up b4 the game I will be at the street which leads to the turnstills at 7.30. I will be the guy with the walking stick as I have abad leg injury. hope some of yous will turn up.

olelad

« Reply #1390 on: November 11, 2018, 08:34:17 AM »
tomorrow night the reds play newry city at 7.45. I will be at this game if anyone would like to meet up b4 the game I will be at the street which leads to the turnstiles at 7.30. I will be the guy with the walking stick as I have abad leg injury. hope some of yous will turn up.

marty1953

« Reply #1391 on: November 12, 2018, 04:06:59 PM »
Hi,Olelad,got a booklet on it.
My sister got me it.
Will try and get you a copy.
How can I put a pic up?

Rose8

« Reply #1392 on: November 12, 2018, 05:11:15 PM »
only just after seeing this/ pity I missed it. was there many at it ??? ??? ?
Yes Tony, sorry only replying to this now, but we had a great crowd in the church on the night and the choir were in full voice helped along by the new sound system recently installed.

We had quite a lot of newspaper cuttings, early plans and photographs of the church and parishioners from earlier years which got a lot of interest, especially from visitors who didn’t know the history.  At the refreshments afterwards, served in the old girls school at the bottom of The Crescent, lots of people (including myself) met up with old friends and classmates.

I see you are still able to go to a “footie” match so hope you are keeping ok. :)
From ROSE :)
St Anthony's School story is at:  http://www.saintanthony.co.uk/page4.html

olelad

« Reply #1393 on: November 12, 2018, 11:35:20 PM »
Yes Tony, sorry only replying to this now, but we had a great crowd in the church on the night and the choir were in full voice helped along by the new sound system recently installed.

We had quite a lot of newspaper cuttings, early plans and photographs of the church and parishioners from earlier years which got a lot of interest, especially from visitors who didn’t know the history.  At the refreshments afterwards, served in the old girls school at the bottom of The Crescent, lots of people (including myself) met up with old friends and classmates.

I see you are still able to go to a “footie” match so hope you are keeping ok. :)

only just lol. not long back and feeling the pain. sorry I missed the event at the chapel, would defo liked to have went to it. maybe the next one. glad you had agood time.

marty1953

« Reply #1394 on: November 13, 2018, 05:37:38 PM »
Olelad,can’t recall when I last watched an Irish League game.
Try too watch my Junior club on a Saturday.
Still like the Glens,after all those yrs away from the East,don’t know why,but there you go.