Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 244234 times)

citybloke

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #1485 on: April 08, 2019, 05:46:18 AM »
Hiya, Sorry I'm not sure if anyone is still posting on this thread, but my dad grew up on Dromore St, but moved down to Willowfield Drive when the troubles kicked off. My dad and grandad worked in the Cregagh Inn and a few other local bars before it kicked off. My dad's called Patrick Magee if that rings a bell?

Hi
My grandparents lived at number 20 Dromore Street. They moved to Dromore Street from Dublin around 1963/4.
They both died in 1967 following a road accident. They were happy and content whilst living there but I don't think they would have lasted long there once the troubles kicked off!

Although we visited my grandparents regularly I don't recall the names of any other residents of the street.

olelad

« Reply #1486 on: April 08, 2019, 10:22:06 PM »
Hi
My grandparents lived at number 20 Dromore Street. They moved to Dromore Street from Dublin around 1963/4.
They both died in 1967 following a road accident. They were happy and content whilst living there but I don't think they would have lasted long there once the troubles kicked off!

Although we visited my grandparents regularly I don't recall the names of any other residents of the street.

Dromore st had quite a bad gang early 70s.  cant recall any of there names. just have bad memories of them.

citybloke

« Reply #1487 on: April 09, 2019, 05:29:49 AM »
Dromore st had quite a bad gang early 70s.  cant recall any of there names. just have bad memories of them.

Yes I know the area changed once the troubles started. Our association and knowledge of Dromore Street and the surrounding area finished circa 1967.

olelad

« Reply #1488 on: April 10, 2019, 10:51:47 PM »
Yes I know the area changed once the troubles started. Our association and knowledge of Dromore Street and the surrounding area finished circa 1967.

you got out just in time. id say by 71 that gang from there was  in there prime. bad gits they was.

Rose8

« Reply #1489 on: April 11, 2019, 12:49:46 PM »
[/quote

Hiya, Sorry I'm not sure if anyone is still posting on this thread, but my dad grew up on Dromore St, but moved down to Willowfield Drive when the troubles kicked off. My dad and grandad worked in the Cregagh Inn and a few other local bars before it kicked off. My dad's called Patrick Magee if that rings a bell?
Yes I knew Pat and his parents. They were lovely and my mum used to do the flowers in the church and call with Mrs Magee for a cup of tea and chat every week.  My mum was Mrs O’Connor from Ravenhill Avenue.
From ROSE :)
St Anthony's School story is at:  http://www.saintanthony.co.uk/page4.html

marty1953

« Reply #1490 on: April 11, 2019, 05:49:55 PM »
The Boyle’s lived in Dromore St.
Geraldine and Danny Boyle?
Their Father helped in St Anthony’s and St Luke’s when they moved too Twinbrook.

olelad

« Reply #1491 on: April 11, 2019, 09:03:28 PM »

that mob at Dromore st where the first lot I seen that put bleach down the seams of there jeans. not a big deal but that's one thing I can remember about them the other is the bloody good kicking I got from one of them . Iwas  on my bike and had stopped in loopland when one of that lot pulled me of my bike and kicked the [censored] out of me.

olelad

« Reply #1492 on: September 07, 2019, 12:07:27 AM »
was up the rd today. the cop shop beside were the school was has been knocked down and I take it, its houses that r being built there now and daddy winkers pk is gone. ok there is a small play area there now but not in the place of the old pk.

Rose8

« Reply #1493 on: September 07, 2019, 12:57:18 AM »
Yes all change there now Tony. I think they’re actually building apartments on that site in Willowfield Drive. You hardly know any of the shops either, they’ve changed hands so many times!

marty1953

« Reply #1494 on: September 07, 2019, 10:20:32 AM »
Was talking too an ex member off The Woodstock Tartan..he recalled a few runin’s with the gang from Dromore St.
Rosie is his boss...a hard working respectable businessman...things do change.

Rose8

« Reply #1495 on: September 07, 2019, 10:52:43 AM »
Was talking too an ex member off The Woodstock Tartan..he recalled a few runin’s with the gang from Dromore St.
Rosie is his boss...a hard working respectable businessman...things do change.
Do I know him?

marty1953

« Reply #1496 on: September 07, 2019, 12:38:44 PM »
Depends on your age Rose.....Geordie Rose was one of the leaders of The Woodstock Tartan,he’s around 65 now same as myself,tho I’m 66 in October.

bjay

« Reply #1497 on: September 07, 2019, 08:16:39 PM »
Remember him.  Was he from Chesham Parade?

olelad

« Reply #1498 on: September 07, 2019, 11:17:07 PM »
Depends on your age Rose.....Geordie Rose was one of the leaders of The Woodstock Tartan,he’s around 65 now same as myself,tho I’m 66 in October.

was he from cregagh estate ?

Number26

« Reply #1499 on: September 07, 2019, 11:20:08 PM »
Nope