Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 328432 times)

thebell

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #1575 on: June 07, 2020, 04:39:04 PM »
Hi Briege,

So sorry to hear about your Michael. We used to go to St Agustines with a third Michael who lived on ravenhill Ave just opposite carlingford st.
Well thats the direction we set off but often didnt get there and ended up way out near Prudysburn, very apt.
What we didnt get up too. happy days.

Briedge

« Reply #1576 on: June 07, 2020, 05:04:22 PM »
It’s good to have those precious happy memories! I sometimes look on Street view at the old streets where we used to live. How narrow they are when they used to feel so wide! Our spirits are still there! No one can erase that!

olelad

« Reply #1577 on: June 07, 2020, 10:04:58 PM »
Grampian Avenue is on the Holywwod Road, not too far from the arches. It was in fast a pipe bomb and not a shooting that killed the gentleman in 1973.

cheers bjay. that's an area I know very little about. only time I remember going there was a trip with my class at gusties to some book shop on the Hollywood rd. cant remember much else about it.

olelad

« Reply #1579 on: June 08, 2020, 10:27:58 PM »

CarlAnscombe

« Reply #1580 on: June 09, 2020, 01:10:31 PM »
Does anyone have any photos or information for St Anthony’s school in 1940-1957 or have any school photos or pictures around that time my partners grandfather was there and left in 1957 to move to the uk and it’s his 80th and we are tracing his routes please email me if you do thank you :) his name is John Joseph McDonnell  :D

CarlAnscombe

« Reply #1581 on: June 09, 2020, 01:35:17 PM »
I’ve been sent a pm but cannot reply to it? My email is on my profile  :D

bjay

« Reply #1582 on: June 09, 2020, 10:06:56 PM »
Wish any new club every success but it is something of an uphill battle, There are few schools in the East to draw talent from. Bredagh on the Ravenhill Road is the biggest club in Ulster and Carryduff a few miles up the road is apparently the second biggest in terms of membership.  St Brides is a few miles south west.  Competition in other places.  But from little acorns, big things grow.

olelad

« Reply #1583 on: June 09, 2020, 10:29:12 PM »
Wish any new club every success but it is something of an uphill battle, There are few schools in the East to draw talent from. Bredagh on the Ravenhill Road is the biggest club in Ulster and Carryduff a few miles up the road is apparently the second biggest in terms of membership.  St Brides is a few miles south west.  Competition in other places.  But from little acorns, big things grow.

bredagh is it something to do with st gusties. or whatever its called these days ??  id become a member for sure. might even get picked for a ole crocks game. will be an uphill struggle but hope it goes ahead

Marcas

« Reply #1584 on: June 10, 2020, 03:33:51 PM »
A lot of the established clubs in the West of the city are struggling to attract kids and in a lot of cases are amalgamating right up to Minor and U21 level to compete in championships. The stats show if just another 5% of primary kids started to play there wouldn't be enough clubs in Belfast. But that's not the case at the minute. So East Belfast GAA team will probably start as a Senior team and play in Cherryvale or Ormeau Park. I'm sure theres people playing a bit of soccer, basketball or rugby who would be ideally suited to play Gaelic games. Personally I'd prefer the team in the Antrim leagues but that's just me !

Charlie bloomer

« Reply #1585 on: June 10, 2020, 06:18:11 PM »
Hi all
My name is Charlie Bloomer known as Phonsie Francie Bloomer
Born Dec 1946 educated at St.Anthonys 1951 to 1959 then on to St.Malachys college
Lived in Loopland Road Cregagh Belfast 1946 to 1971
Does anybody remember me
God Bless you all

Endeavour

« Reply #1586 on: June 12, 2020, 09:09:45 PM »
Hello Pauline Stuart here just to let you know that I am not sure how these messages work. I have put a couple of messages on Re st Anthony's parish east Belfast on page 104 and another one on personal messages page 1.If you still read the forum and have a few minutes to spare plus any interest you could have a bit of a read .If you can t be bothered don't worry about it.Hope you are keeping yourself safe and well  Good  luck. Stuart!.

olelad

« Reply #1587 on: June 12, 2020, 09:48:03 PM »
A lot of the established clubs in the West of the city are struggling to attract kids and in a lot of cases are amalgamating right up to Minor and U21 level to compete in championships. The stats show if just another 5% of primary kids started to play there wouldn't be enough clubs in Belfast. But that's not the case at the minute. So East Belfast GAA team will probably start as a Senior team and play in Cherryvale or Ormeau Park. I'm sure theres people playing a bit of soccer, basketball or rugby who would be ideally suited to play Gaelic games. Personally I'd prefer the team in the Antrim leagues but that's just me !

not sure were they'll play but id travel to watch them play. hope they do start a team in the east, but it have better be in the down league lol

Rose8

« Reply #1588 on: June 12, 2020, 10:37:50 PM »
Hello Pauline Stuart here just to let you know that I am not sure how these messages work. I have put a couple of messages on Re st Anthony's parish east Belfast on page 104 and another one on personal messages page 1.If you still read the forum and have a few minutes to spare plus any interest you could have a bit of a read .If you can t be bothered don't worry about it.Hope you are keeping yourself safe and well  Good  luck. Stuart!.
Sorry, can’t find your earlier posts? PMs need to go to a named person?
From ROSE :)
St Anthony's School story is at:  http://www.saintanthony.co.uk/page4.html

Rose8

« Reply #1589 on: June 16, 2020, 07:02:27 PM »
Sorry, can’t find your earlier posts? PMs need to go to a named person?
Sorry, forget this. Misread the previous post!! Old age is creeping on🥴
From ROSE :)
St Anthony's School story is at:  http://www.saintanthony.co.uk/page4.html

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy