Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 328433 times)

Endeavour

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #1605 on: January 01, 2021, 06:55:46 PM »
Hi Pauline , HAPPY NEW YEAR to you hope you are keeping well.still looking for Marie did hear who she is married to , think that is why she is hard to contact.good luck in the future Stuart x

Endeavour

Pauline 71
« Reply #1606 on: February 10, 2021, 04:59:29 PM »
Hi Pauline Haven't had any luck on contacting Marie yet ,heard she is living in Dundalk but can't travel down looking for Marie because of this virus.If and when they beat it I hope to go down there to see if I can find Marie.Hope you are keeping well yourself and stay safe.Stuart.

olelad

« Reply #1607 on: February 11, 2021, 11:28:50 PM »
just been reading afew of the earlier posts on here and the things ive forgotten !!!!! must be old age thats caught up with me.  hows you all doing ?? well i hope. the bell u still around ??

Gus123a

« Reply #1608 on: February 12, 2021, 08:39:55 AM »
Am going back to Belfast hopefully in the summer first time in 30 years ! And only been there 3 times in 40 ! Bet it will have changed but looking forward to it . Was brought up in Greenore st went to st Anthony’s and st augustines . Will be an interesting visit !

Gus123a

« Reply #1609 on: February 12, 2021, 08:40:56 AM »
I am getting old !!! First time in 40 and left in 72 !!

Rose8

« Reply #1610 on: February 12, 2021, 01:22:48 PM »
Sounds like a plan Gus. Hope you manage it with all the restrictions planned for this year!! The place has definitely changed and I’ve lived here all my life!

I’m just recovering from breaking both bones in one leg just before Christmas so pleeeese don’t talk about being old! :o  These “old bones” have taken their time to heal! Im making a bit of progress this week so hopefully I will be nearly back to normal soon (whatever that is  :( )
From ROSE :)
St Anthony's School story is at:  http://www.saintanthony.co.uk/page4.html

Gus123a

« Reply #1611 on: February 12, 2021, 01:46:58 PM »
Thanks Rose and yes who knows at moment but hopefully by summer will be able to at least travel ! Hope your broken bones heal as broken a lot of bones through sport but all a lot of years ago ! Plan to go back and see Greenore st as not been there for close to 49 years !! Seen it on goggle and full of cars ! We used to play football up and down that street !

Rose8

« Reply #1612 on: February 12, 2021, 03:47:55 PM »
All those streets are full of cars now. We lived in Ravenhill Ave and we used to roller skate after school up and down the middle of the road until 5oc when the Coop lorries were returning to their depot. Different days now!

Gus123a

« Reply #1613 on: February 12, 2021, 04:29:19 PM »
Think we have chatted before as you would have known Pearse McCrory who I went to school with ? I live in Southampton now and have done since 72. In those days lots of Belfast guys lived here working in the Merchant Navy

Rose8

« Reply #1614 on: February 12, 2021, 05:22:20 PM »
All those streets are full of cars now. We lived in Ravenhill Ave and we used to roller skate after school up and down the middle of the road until 5oc when the Coop lorries were returning to their depot. Different days now!
Yes, we did Gerry. Sorry I didn’t recognise your pseudonym and I’ve mislaid your email address! My brother Dennis confirmed that it was your dad who taught him to drive (he was in his thirties when he learned). He and his family lived in Killowen St then and he used to go into Harts off licence by the back door on Sundays! Think that’s where he met your dad.

Gus123a

« Reply #1615 on: February 12, 2021, 05:57:16 PM »
That’s where he would have met him !! Will try and message you privately with my email address

olelad

« Reply #1616 on: February 14, 2021, 02:14:11 PM »
can anyone remember the row of shops where the red rooster cafe was ???  what else was there ?? i might be wrong but was there a small supermarket there ??

Rose8

« Reply #1617 on: February 14, 2021, 03:45:27 PM »
Cancer research had and still have a large charity shop at the corner of Daddy Winkers Lane and Red Rooster was beside it. On the other side of the lane.was the 26th Scout Hall and to the left was Stewart’s Supermarket which eventually became Tesco and is now a B& M store.

olelad

« Reply #1618 on: February 14, 2021, 06:03:12 PM »
Cancer research had and still have a large charity shop at the corner of Daddy Winkers Lane and Red Rooster was beside it. On the other side of the lane.was the 26th Scout Hall and to the left was Stewart’s Supermarket which eventually became Tesco and is now a B& M store.

hi rose.  im thinking of back b4 1972. yes the scout hall was defo there cuz i was in it for a short while.  across the top of the lane there used to be a big house ( think someone said it was a denists )  it was knocked down and what there is now was built back then with the red rooster cafe being there. a gang from dromore st named themselfs after it. but i cant think of what other shops was beside it.

thebell

« Reply #1619 on: February 16, 2021, 09:02:14 PM »
just been reading afew of the earlier posts on here and the things ive forgotten !!!!! must be old age thats caught up with me.  hows you all doing ?? well i hope. the bell u still around ??
Hey ole lad The Bell is about mate, Good you see you are too, I popped over for the day a while back before all this lock down stuff, H ad a pasty supper in the chippy almost opposite where the rooster was. A FIVER ! They had to pick me of the floor.
Looking at roses comments, we used to use that scout hall sometimes for st john ambulance training as well as harding memorial school. remember that ?
  Look after yourselves. M

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy