Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 241022 times)

Kaitren_mc

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #210 on: March 03, 2010, 08:15:02 PM »
i started st anthonys in 1989 and left in 1996 all 7 members of my class came from the strand lol i think we were the smallest class in the school
i think a reunion should be held me and a few friends were talking about organising one at one stage but we never got around to it

olelad

« Reply #211 on: March 03, 2010, 08:23:43 PM »
i started st anthonys in 1989 and left in 1996 all 7 members of my class came from the strand lol i think we were the smallest class in the school
i think a reunion should be held me and a few friends were talking about organising one at one stage but we never got around to it

afew of us 5 years ago put together a reunion of sorts. we advertised it in the andytown news and afew parish newsletters were we knew people from our parish moved to back then. word of mouth etc etc. we even had harry hart and a miss kennedy there. we staged the reunion in the crown bar and those of us who went had a cracking time. the parish priest in my opinion could and should have done more. what im not sure  :D but he never seemed to grip the concept.  but we had agreat time putting it together. we meet in the crown 4 or 5 times with differant ex pupils turning up. i meet all of my old mates from the school and those who i hung around with bar a couple. in all go for it and ill give a hand if yous want.

olelad

« Reply #212 on: March 03, 2010, 09:23:57 PM »

afew of us 5 years ago put together a reunion of sorts. we advertised it in the andytown news and afew parish newsletters were we knew people from our parish moved to back then. word of mouth etc etc. we even had harry hart and a miss kennedy there. we staged the reunion in the crown bar and those of us who went had a cracking time. the parish priest in my opinion could and should have done more. what im not sure  :D but he never seemed to grip the concept.  but we had agreat time putting it together. we meet in the crown 4 or 5 times with differant ex pupils turning up. i meet all of my old mates from the school and those who i hung around with bar a couple. in all go for it and ill give a hand if yous want.

it would seem time flys by quicker than i thought and the reuion was about 8 years ago ! ::)

girl from the block

« Reply #213 on: March 03, 2010, 09:37:56 PM »
Could never understand why kids from the strand were sent to st anthonys when ther was 2 good schools within the area :scratch_ones_head:

olelad

« Reply #214 on: March 03, 2010, 09:48:06 PM »
Could never understand why kids from the strand were sent to st anthonys when ther was 2 good schools within the area :scratch_ones_head:

there was alway ones from the strand at st anthonys although not in high numbers. in the 70s/80s they was probably encouraged to go there to keep the school afloat ? think i pointed out afew from the strand who were inour class in 69. they were at lagan village b4 been moved over to us lot.   

Kraffy

« Reply #215 on: March 04, 2010, 11:30:01 AM »
Not a catholic but always remember going past the church, sometimes the nuns would pass me, always said hello. Many years ago.

olelad

« Reply #216 on: March 04, 2010, 08:18:39 PM »

went and checked throught my emails and the reunion plus harry harts birthday meet was back in 2004. the photos of harry was from 26 june 04.

Kaitren_mc

« Reply #217 on: March 05, 2010, 12:41:10 AM »
i think if all that trouble didnt flare up in 2005 the school would still have good numbers to this day

ole lad how did you get the class registration ??

olelad

« Reply #218 on: March 05, 2010, 05:12:17 PM »
i think if all that trouble didnt flare up in 2005 the school would still have good numbers to this day

ole lad how did you get the class registration ??

good question. i didnt . that was put put together by meself, clem and robert all from the class of 69. between us we came up with all but 3 of the names you see in that post. another lad from the class put in the final 3 names. in saying that we all said at the reunion that there much have been between 33 to 35 guys in the class? we have 33 names which were defiantly in the class. but there maybe one or two names short ? my hunch is weve got the full list ?
i tryed to get the offical class reg. but both the parish and catholic schools board (or whatever it is) had no records from the school. one person said in those days the prin probably took them , stored them away. died and there family probably came across them and burned them ? i kid you not. public records hadnt anything either. so agood memory from yourself and afew other class mates is a must  :smile:

olelad

« Reply #219 on: March 06, 2010, 12:48:49 PM »

good question. i didnt . that was put put together by meself, clem and robert all from the class of 69. between us we came up with all but 3 of the names you see in that post. another lad from the class put in the final 3 names. in saying that we all said at the reunion that there much have been between 33 to 35 guys in the class? we have 33 names which were defiantly in the class. but there maybe one or two names short ? my hunch is weve got the full list ?
i tryed to get the offical class reg. but both the parish and catholic schools board (or whatever it is) had no records from the school. one person said in those days the prin probably took them , stored them away. died and there family probably came across them and burned them ? i kid you not. public records hadnt anything either. so agood memory from yourself and afew other class mates is a must  :smile:

forgot to add that as you were at the school alot later on. theres agood chance they kept records alot better than in our day.

Kaitren_mc

« Reply #220 on: March 06, 2010, 03:30:05 PM »
i think mr mc glade works in harberton so im sur it wouldnt be hard contacting him he should hav all the info

olelad

« Reply #221 on: March 06, 2010, 03:41:37 PM »
i think mr mc glade works in harberton so im sur it wouldnt be hard contacting him he should hav all the info

that would be your first port of call alright. he should be able to point you in the right direction. good luck.

for me id like to now add the old address to the names.  :D im a glutting for punishment

Kaitren_mc

« Reply #222 on: March 07, 2010, 01:27:12 PM »
lol good luck till ya

olelad

« Reply #223 on: March 07, 2010, 07:30:15 PM »
lol good luck till ya

ill need it alright  :smile:  passed the old st monicas today and as you said its still standing only with st josephs now on it. so is gusties knocked down ? if so lucky i got there in time to get that photo. a memory which will stay with me forever and a day !  :D

olelad

« Reply #224 on: March 09, 2010, 06:17:15 PM »
anyone remember or even know who owned the model shop on the cregagh rd facing oberon st ?