Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 246678 times)

olelad

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #360 on: January 10, 2011, 08:12:38 PM »
what was the name of the bar/off licence at the corner of ardgowen st woodstock rd ?   i remember been in it once or twice and it seemed very small and narrow.

dchips

« Reply #361 on: January 11, 2011, 01:21:07 AM »
I just read this thread start to finish. I was rared in Carlingford Street, and still live in the area. I'm only 33, so a good while after most of yourselves. Its amazing for me to read all this, but I feel a bit sad to say that my family must have moved into our house in Carlingford street after probably one of the catholic families were made to leave. I think it was probably late 60 early 70's when my family moved there, it was certainly before I was born.
Its great to hear you all loved growing up there, its strange for me to hear how the community used to be, for me growing up in the area there was no catholics of my age at all, someone mentioned popes row, we still call that row of houses popes row, from what we were told growing up it was mostly catholics that lived there, may still be ?

We played in the grounds of the Chapel, and in the grounds of the Convent, or "the home" as we called it, the care taker even used to let us keep our bonfire wood there. I never knew that the Chapel was St, Anthony's and I've live no more than a couple of streets away from it almost all my life. I knew the school was St.  Anthony's as we did a cross community scheme, Nettlefield and St Anthony's it was called CRIS, Community Relations in Schools, really this was the first contact I had with anyone from the catholic community. Almost all the pupils there where from the Short Strand, I still remember some of them.

We played in all the same place previously mentioned, The Chapel, the home, daddy winkers, over the park (Ormeau).
The stumps is still the stumps, and so is popes row. Mary's chippy is still a chippy, had a good few different owners now, when it was still Mary's it was always lovingly referred to as Greasy Mary's, a pastie and line please.
Someone mentioned Tailors, I take it that was on the road facing Ardenvohr St. We still call it Tailors, even though its a Mace now, and I have never know it as anything other than a sweet/tobacconist shop, but still Tailors none the less. The auld laundry hasn't been there for some years now, we also collected cheesers there, infact some of the trees are still there.
Does anyone know what the bit of waste ground between Tildarg and Ogilvie street was originally used for ?
Who ever it was that mentioned the Regans and the Sloan's, I know of both families, and you must be about the same age as me, so we may well know each other.
Did anyone live in Carlingford street, the only person who I know was there before us was our next door neighbour, Mr. Monroe, I never knew his first name, he was a lovely old man, had this way of telling you off so that you knew you'd done wrong, but you never felt put upon. He past away when I must have been 6 or 7. If I ask my da he'd probably be able to tell me who else lived there before us, but I just don't know. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who used to live in Carlingford street.

p.s.
The wine store on the corner of Ardgowan street is still a wine store, I never knew it as anything other than a Russel Cellars, I do remember it when it was narrow and long, the door used to be right on the corner. I'll ask my mother in law, as she used to work in it in the 80's.

David

naumai

« Reply #362 on: January 11, 2011, 03:16:47 AM »
Intresting post dchips,must say marys chippie was never known as greasy marys when Mary Meli was the owner, I think the Meli's were put out early in the troubles.

dchips

« Reply #363 on: January 11, 2011, 10:16:02 AM »
Hi naumi

I don't think it was the original Mary that owned it then, it was never that bad cos we still all went to it, on a Friday evening the queues used to be down Imperial street,  it was just what it was called Greasy Mary's. Even now some people still call it greasy Marys. Then just across the road on the corner of Roslyn Street and Ipmerial street was a wee shop, that was Molly's to us. I used to stand and try and read the old white writing on the side of the wall, it was prices for parafin, someting and 6 it was.

David

syriana

« Reply #364 on: January 11, 2011, 12:41:43 PM »
what was the name of the bar/off licence at the corner of ardgowen st woodstock rd ?   i remember been in it once or twice and it seemed very small and narrow.

In the 1980's I think the bar was called The Eastender - I can't remember what it was called before then.  There also used to be a bar at the Cregagh Road junction with Ravenhill Avenue in the 1960's, was it The Cregagh Inn? - I'm not sure.  I also remember a small potato crisp factory near The Paragon called Knowles.
No answer is an answer.

dchips

« Reply #365 on: January 11, 2011, 01:34:40 PM »
The bar upstairs is still the Eastender, in my memory there was no bar there before the Eastender. The Cregagh Inn was demolished in the 80's probably mid 80's.  I don't know about Knowles, there used to be a factory behind the Paragon, was it in there ?

David

syriana

« Reply #366 on: January 11, 2011, 01:49:08 PM »
I think so David - not sure.  Knowles also had a shop front property on the same block but the display windows were always covered.  It was a long time ago 1940/50's.  As a small boy I remember being curious because I'd never tasted potato crisps - hard to believe.  I suppose it was the good old days when crisps used to be potato flavoured.
No answer is an answer.

olelad

« Reply #367 on: January 11, 2011, 09:21:51 PM »
I just read this thread start to finish. I was rared in Carlingford Street, and still live in the area. I'm only 33, so a good while after most of yourselves. Its amazing for me to read all this, but I feel a bit sad to say that my family must have moved into our house in Carlingford street after probably one of the catholic families were made to leave. I think it was probably late 60 early 70's when my family moved there, it was certainly before I was born.
Its great to hear you all loved growing up there, its strange for me to hear how the community used to be, for me growing up in the area there was no catholics of my age at all, someone mentioned popes row, we still call that row of houses popes row, from what we were told growing up it was mostly catholics that lived there, may still be ?

We played in the grounds of the Chapel, and in the grounds of the Convent, or "the home" as we called it, the care taker even used to let us keep our bonfire wood there. I never knew that the Chapel was St, Anthony's and I've live no more than a couple of streets away from it almost all my life. I knew the school was St.  Anthony's as we did a cross community scheme, Nettlefield and St Anthony's it was called CRIS, Community Relations in Schools, really this was the first contact I had with anyone from the catholic community. Almost all the pupils there where from the Short Strand, I still remember some of them.

We played in all the same place previously mentioned, The Chapel, the home, daddy winkers, over the park (Ormeau).
The stumps is still the stumps, and so is popes row. Mary's chippy is still a chippy, had a good few different owners now, when it was still Mary's it was always lovingly referred to as Greasy Mary's, a pastie and line please.
Someone mentioned Tailors, I take it that was on the road facing Ardenvohr St. We still call it Tailors, even though its a Mace now, and I have never know it as anything other than a sweet/tobacconist shop, but still Tailors none the less. The auld laundry hasn't been there for some years now, we also collected cheesers there, infact some of the trees are still there.
Does anyone know what the bit of waste ground between Tildarg and Ogilvie street was originally used for ?
Who ever it was that mentioned the Regans and the Sloan's, I know of both families, and you must be about the same age as me, so we may well know each other.
Did anyone live in Carlingford street, the only person who I know was there before us was our next door neighbour, Mr. Monroe, I never knew his first name, he was a lovely old man, had this way of telling you off so that you knew you'd done wrong, but you never felt put upon. He past away when I must have been 6 or 7. If I ask my da he'd probably be able to tell me who else lived there before us, but I just don't know. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who used to live in Carlingford street.

p.s.
The wine store on the corner of Ardgowan street is still a wine store, I never knew it as anything other than a Russel Cellars, I do remember it when it was narrow and long, the door used to be right on the corner. I'll ask my mother in law, as she used to work in it in the 80's.

David

interesting post . seems we all liked are chippy's  :D the one most popular was between ardgowen st and hillboro gardens. (think its been discussed on this thread)
as for the bar/off sales at the corner of ardgowen st. not sure if it was a public bar or just of sales ? but either was a son of the owner went to st pats ? he was a couple of years older than me. as far as i can remember gunmen went in and i think he got shot in the arm. after that they left. must have been around late 71 early 72. heard he was a car sales man ? cant remember there name.
the eastender isnt were this place was as it isnt directally on the corner of ardgowen st/ woodstock rd. shannons shop was across the entry at the back of off/sales

dchips

« Reply #368 on: January 11, 2011, 09:28:15 PM »
Hi olelad
That is the Eastender, the entrance isn't on the corner but you can look out the window directly on the corner of Ardgowan/Woodstock. It takes up the whole top floor above whats now russels.

David

olelad

« Reply #369 on: January 11, 2011, 09:46:08 PM »
Hi olelad
That is the Eastender, the entrance isn't on the corner but you can look out the window directly on the corner of Ardgowan/Woodstock. It takes up the whole top floor above whats now russels.

David

cheers david. back then i think there was a side door in ardgowen st with the main enterance right on the corner with the main rd. long many years ago !

dchips

« Reply #370 on: January 11, 2011, 11:02:44 PM »
No problem olelad, thats the way it used to be, even after they renovated it the first time the entrance to the wine store was still on the corner, maybe 6 or 7 years ago they changed it so the entrance was on the woodstock.

David

naumai

« Reply #371 on: January 12, 2011, 06:14:43 AM »
dchips,seeing as you are on the ground ,so to speak.do you know who owned the cosy bar,I knew him and and just can't remember his name.its 14 years since I was last there. I'm from imperial st.

dchips

« Reply #372 on: January 12, 2011, 09:27:32 AM »
The Townsley's own the bar. Bobby, then Billy (brothers), now Billy's son.

David

naumai

« Reply #373 on: January 12, 2011, 07:47:08 PM »
thats them ,does one of them have an false leg?

grannyspice

« Reply #374 on: January 12, 2011, 10:29:26 PM »

cheers david. back then i think there was a side door in ardgowen st with the main enterance right on the corner with the main rd. long many years ago !
Olelad you are quite right but give me a wee bit of time and I'll try to find out for you. I remember it too and I asked Seamus Curran last night so leave it with us.