Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 238348 times)

macdoak

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #390 on: January 19, 2011, 01:10:02 PM »
i remember des crilly from the school and joseph rea...vague memories thereafter...do remember failing the 11plus in spectacular fashion...some things never leave you...

olelad

« Reply #391 on: January 19, 2011, 09:38:52 PM »
i remember des crilly from the school and joseph rea...vague memories thereafter...do remember failing the 11plus in spectacular fashion...some things never leave you...

dessie crilly wasnt in fact in our class. he was a year older than us. meet him about 4 years ago. joesph rea was in our class and went to gusties like most of us. think they moved to ormo rd from the cregagh estate. no one knows what became of him ?

olelad

« Reply #392 on: January 19, 2011, 09:50:50 PM »
class reg p7 69.
colin donnelly
robert semple
paul ohara
vincent weir
thomas mccullough
brian collins
danny o reilly
colmn coleman
clem mcilhatton
tony rutherford
gerard turley
gerard murray
david carlisle
francie rehill
tony mcloughlin
john marks
joesph rea
aiden corrigan
brian grant
geberial mcguigian
micky oneil
joe beattie
gerry christian
terrance dawson
paul gracey
desmond mulligan
kenny eccles
kevin mcanally
peter scott
billy mcmullan
brendan mullan
danny burns ?
martin halliday ?

33 names there. 2 at the end isnt 100%. we alway reckoned on about 35 or so in the class so there abouts.

aiden that the class reg as put together by us that have been in touch over the last 5 years. there may be afew short, maybe not but its very close either way.

macdoak

« Reply #393 on: January 20, 2011, 03:58:12 PM »
was the class not 68? in 69 i was already in other school from the previous september of 1968...i definitely did my 11plus that year and moved on in September...remember  lot of those names now and wonder were they all are...remember harry hart and vinty...i assume both dead now...sadly..

olelad

« Reply #394 on: January 20, 2011, 07:30:34 PM »
was the class not 68? in 69 i was already in other school from the previous september of 1968...i definitely did my 11plus that year and moved on in September...remember  lot of those names now and wonder were they all are...remember harry hart and vinty...i assume both dead now...sadly..

yes both teachers are dead. harry passed away ayear or 2 back.

that been the case then you missed moving over to the chapel hall as the school moved there for renovation work. all of us from p1 to p7 was stuck in the hall. while the new girls school opened. who all do you remember from the reg ?

olelad

« Reply #395 on: January 21, 2011, 04:24:37 PM »

ive been reminded that up untill june 68 in the boys section it was the norm for classes to double up. ie...p6/p7+p5/p4 shared the same classroom. so it might be n fact you was in p7 while we was in p6 yet still in the same class room. that might explain you leaving in 68 and therefore not in the class of 69.

macdoak

« Reply #396 on: January 22, 2011, 10:41:39 PM »
yeah...that must be it...def left in june 1968..do recal the mixed classes on each side of the room..

olelad

« Reply #397 on: January 23, 2011, 05:21:11 PM »
yeah...that must be it...def left in june 1968..do recal the mixed classes on each side of the room..

must take your name of the reg  :D to be fair thats were a mix up can happen with the classes mixed back then. we moved to the chapel hall in the chapel ground for the start of our last term there in 68/69. there was partitions dividing the classes in there which had the habit of been kicked down once the teacher turned his back. poor harry had his work cut out. funny but i cant remember vinty been there ? . theyd never get away with the likes these day. good craic mind

smith19

« Reply #398 on: January 25, 2011, 12:04:09 PM »

yes both teachers are dead. harry passed away ayear or 2 back.

that been the case then you missed moving over to the chapel hall as the school moved there for renovation work. all of us from p1 to p7 was stuck in the hall. while the new girls school opened. who all do you remember from the reg ?

I've just found Belfast Forum and it is wonderful. I can go back with Harry Harte to the day he started teaching in St.Anthony's. I was a pupil until 1953 and passed "Qually" and went on a daily journey across town to the great learning halls of St.Malachy's College. Harry started a gaelic football team and we played our first game on the pitch at Nazareth House Ravenhill Road. We played in sky blue shirts and had a few good players although none of us had ever played gaelic before. I have a photo of the team and may try to post it. There is a "Seamus Curran" mentioned in some correspondences in this feather. He was one of our stars. My star did not shine too brightly!! Anyone of this vintage about?

smith19

« Reply #399 on: January 25, 2011, 02:07:57 PM »
i used to hang around the stumps over 50 years ago there was a wee gang of us the boyds.weirs.galloway.harts.kerr.mc meechan.connely. :girl_blum:

I lived 30 years in Willowfield Crescent - almost 50 years ago and knew the neighbourhood very well, but never remember a part of Carlingford being referred to as "the stumps". Must have been a very local term. Don't remember the Hacketts of Ranelagh Street, but do you remember the Lundy's?? or the Currys and Duffys of Carlingford Street.

oxo

« Reply #400 on: January 25, 2011, 05:34:14 PM »
the stumps that i was talking about were in carlingford street facing creagh street there was 3 of them made of concrete i do remember the lundys if it is the same ones they lived a few doors from us in ranelagh st.the duffys that i knew lived in carlingford  st beside the stumps the boyds lived in roseberry gardens lewis gallaway lived in carlingford st his house had a big shop window but it was not a shop also the hawkins lived in omeath st.  those were happy days.

olelad

« Reply #401 on: January 25, 2011, 09:01:04 PM »

I've just found Belfast Forum and it is wonderful. I can go back with Harry Harte to the day he started teaching in St.Anthony's. I was a pupil until 1953 and passed "Qually" and went on a daily journey across town to the great learning halls of St.Malachy's College. Harry started a gaelic football team and we played our first game on the pitch at Nazareth House Ravenhill Road. We played in sky blue shirts and had a few good players although none of us had ever played gaelic before. I have a photo of the team and may try to post it. There is a "Seamus Curran" mentioned in some correspondences in this feather. He was one of our stars. My star did not shine too brightly!! Anyone of this vintage about?

when we meet harry he spoke of the gaelic team. great guy.

olelad

« Reply #402 on: January 25, 2011, 09:01:49 PM »

I lived 30 years in Willowfield Crescent - almost 50 years ago and knew the neighbourhood very well, but never remember a part of Carlingford being referred to as "the stumps". Must have been a very local term. Don't remember the Hacketts of Ranelagh Street, but do you remember the Lundy's?? or the Currys and Duffys of Carlingford Street.

one of the duffys has posted on this thread

oxo

« Reply #403 on: January 25, 2011, 11:35:01 PM »
still looking ruth irvine.  ardgowen st.   friend [frances] :angel:

smith19

« Reply #404 on: January 26, 2011, 01:25:06 PM »

when we meet harry he spoke of the gaelic team. great guy.

I obviously only knew him as a child and pupil and lost touch when I left school and Willowfield, but he was the most gentle of gentlemen that I ever knew. I only heard that he died only within the past couple of years. May he rest in peace. I'm sure there are many of his pupils who would agree.