Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 238134 times)

olelad

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #510 on: April 09, 2011, 09:04:17 PM »
Yip I agree.  If we were in business now we would form a committee to look into it!!  St A's is far past it's heyday though and at the present time is going through some big changes so probably not the right time anyway.

In the meantime I have been kindly given another photo of a class of boys from St A's in the 50's by John Howard.  I am also getting, this weekend, the names of all those boys in the picture submitted by Olelad some time ago with Mr Mulhern and Fr Fullerton in the centre.  Hope to get these both uploaded at the weekend - so keep watching!!

Looking forward to the girl's names, Smith.  Thnks

hopefully the parish will form a comittee to put together a parish reunion but given what i encountered b4 ill not be punting a fortune on it happening. the biggest problem as was pointed out b4 was that no one is getting any younger so the sooner its put together the better !

Me Ould Segoia

« Reply #511 on: April 09, 2011, 09:18:03 PM »
Were you going to say something about Fr Campbell??  It was his anniversary this week.

He was a very good friend of mine.
It is always a great source of amusement to be quoted by a fool, even more so if quoted by a disalusioned "stickie"

Rose8

« Reply #512 on: April 10, 2011, 02:50:07 PM »

He was a very good friend of mine.
He was a lovely man and served St Anthony's very well - only didn't get staying long enough.
From ROSE :)
St Anthony's School story is at:  http://www.saintanthony.co.uk/page4.html

Rose8

« Reply #513 on: April 10, 2011, 03:15:46 PM »
Here is a photo of St A's boys taken around 1957, given me by John Howard who now lives in England.

John has tried to recall the names of his classmates:
 Back L to R:
? ;
 ? Montgomery:
Kevin Doherty I think;
? ;
Gerard Murray (went to St. Marys);
 Joe ?;
 ?;

Front L to R:
Fra McClean; (went to St Malachy's but died of heart attack in 70's);
Vincent Malough; (went to St Mary's - also died early)
George Gent; (RIP killed in car accident in USA)
John Boden;
? Benson; (lived in Jocelyn St)
? Fitzgerald; (lived Willowfield Parade)
John Howard;
? Colman;(two brothers, one called Eamon, think this was the younger)
Odran Flynn;

Rose8

« Reply #514 on: April 10, 2011, 03:44:16 PM »
Have got all the names in this photo, kindly given to me by Mr Mulhern's granddaughter Breda Doherty.  Mr Mulhern had carefully written all the names on the back of the original photo.

St Anthony's Youth Club 1954

Top Row: Mr Mulhern; Dennis McCready; P Lavery; J Curran; M Kerr; B Nulty; W Callinan; S Curran; J McKeown; D Curran; D Roberts; Mr Fitzgerald

2nd Row: B McKeever; Brian Smith; E Graham; Gerard Dolaghan; Fr Fullerton; J Keegan; Frank Dolaghan; J McParland; D Archer

3rd Row: J McRory; G Keegan; T Callinan; T Graham; J hayes; S McKenna; T Hayes

4th Row: T Hayes; B Fitzgerald; D Curran; W McParland; J Magin; Leandra Fitzgerald (Mr Fitzgerald's gdaughter); D Hayes; W Braiden; T Morgan; J Hayes

Hope some of these names ring a bell!!

smith19

« Reply #515 on: April 12, 2011, 07:48:52 PM »
Have got all the names in this photo, kindly given to me by Mr Mulhern's granddaughter Breda Doherty.  Mr Mulhern had carefully written all the names on the back of the original photo.

St Anthony's Youth Club 1954

Top Row: Mr Mulhern; Dennis McCready; P Lavery; J Curran; M Kerr; B Nulty; W Callinan; S Curran; J McKeown; D Curran; D Roberts; Mr Fitzgerald

2nd Row: B McKeever; Brian Smith; E Graham; Gerard Dolaghan; Fr Fullerton; J Keegan; Frank Dolaghan; J McParland; D Archer

3rd Row: J McRory; G Keegan; T Callinan; T Graham; J hayes; S McKenna; T Hayes

4th Row: T Hayes; B Fitzgerald; D Curran; W McParland; J Magin; Leandra Fitzgerald (Mr Fitzgerald's gdaughter); D Hayes; W Braiden; T Morgan; J Hayes

Hope some of these names ring a bell!!

Sorry Rosemary but I cannot help with the 1957 photo. But I can help with this one - which I sent to you. Well done in getting most of the names. Slight mispelling in back row - W. Callaghan lived in the White City, and B.McKeever in row 2 was B.McKeown, wee brother of Jackie in the back row. You also have T.Hayes and J.Hayes in both rows 3 and 4, and you missed out my delightful smiling little brother Noel in front of E.Graham in row 2 and behind T.Callinan in row 4. Wasn't Mr.Mulhern very far sighted. Does anyone remember him playing Santa Claus at the Church Christmas bazaar  during which times Iwould remember the "Heyday"? Almost every one rings a bell, and a very loud and happy one!! Keep them coming.

olelad

« Reply #516 on: April 13, 2011, 06:54:11 PM »
was that guy hayes from willowfield ?

Rose8

« Reply #517 on: April 13, 2011, 07:55:13 PM »

you missed out my delightful smiling little brother Noel in front of E.Graham in row 2 and behind T.Callinan in row 4.
Sorry about missing out your wee brother Noel, I took the names from mr Mulhern's list but I know the photo was supplied by your good self.  The names of the girls in the photos you sent of your sisters are almost complete (again given to me by Breda Doherty (nee Magee) who is in the line-up herself beside Stephanie, so should get that on the site very soon.   

smith19

« Reply #518 on: April 13, 2011, 09:26:44 PM »
was that guy hayes from willowfield ?
Yes the family lived in 9 Willowfield Crescent in the 50s, 60s etc. James, Terence and Desmond, and sister Mary, a lovely family. Dad James was manager of My Lady's Inn for some time then.

Dub

« Reply #519 on: April 15, 2011, 11:22:24 AM »
Just spotted my old friend Billy Braiden in the 1954 picture. We went to Barney together and were great fishing and shooting pals for years.( I should add the shooting was wildfowling and game). The D Archer in the photo looks like another Barney schoolmate but his name was Pat Archer from St Anthony's.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                All the best, Dub.
If you don't read the papers you are not informed.
If you do read the papers you are misinformed.( Mark Twain.)

Rose8

« Reply #520 on: April 15, 2011, 01:18:59 PM »
Just spotted my old friend Billy Braiden in the 1954 picture. We went to Barney together and were great fishing and shooting pals for years.( I should add the shooting was wildfowling and game). The D Archer in the photo looks like another Barney schoolmate but his name was Pat Archer from St Anthony's.                                                                                                                                                                                                             
It's great to get updates of names for the photo Dub.  I was pals with Maureen Braiden while at school but believe she went to live in Cushendun.  It's possible that D Archer was in fact your Pat Archer, as the names on the back of the original photo written up by Mr Mulhern isn't quite accurate, as Smith has pointed out. Am trying to get as much info on the photos as I can so I can post them on St Anthony's website.  Where was Barney btw??

Dub

« Reply #521 on: April 15, 2011, 02:08:40 PM »
It's great to get updates of names for the photo Dub.  I was pals with Maureen Braiden while at school but believe she went to live in Cushendun.  It's possible that D Archer was in fact your Pat Archer, as the names on the back of the original photo written up by Mr Mulhern isn't quite accurate, as Smith has pointed out. Am trying to get as much info on the photos as I can so I can post them on St Anthony's website.  Where was Barney btw??

Hi Rose8.   Barney was the name we gave to St Patrick's (Barnageeha ) at the top end of the Antrim Road.( it has its own thread on this site)  I met up with Billy and Pat at the school reunion about three years ago. Billy lives outside Lisburn and Pat lives in Annalong. I am living in Dublin. I used to go over to Billys house beside St Anthony's a lot  before Billy got married .  I have a photo from St Colemans school in the Market, and Billy is in that photo beside me . We must have been about five years old in it. His Mum came from the Market and knew my mother well. His parents had a a house in Cushendall and Billy, a few other friends and myself used to fish the rivers  in the Glens every weekend during the fishing season. ( happy days!!)
                                                                                                                                       All the best, Dub.
If you don't read the papers you are not informed.
If you do read the papers you are misinformed.( Mark Twain.)

olelad

« Reply #522 on: April 15, 2011, 05:23:20 PM »
Yes the family lived in 9 Willowfield Crescent in the 50s, 60s etc. James, Terence and Desmond, and sister Mary, a lovely family. Dad James was manager of My Lady's Inn for some time then.

im sure one of them lives lurgan direction these days.

olelad

« Reply #523 on: April 17, 2011, 03:49:38 PM »
anyone know when vinty started and left the school ?

Rose8

« Reply #524 on: April 17, 2011, 04:10:52 PM »
Here goes with girls' school pics from St Anthony's (around 1946) with some names.  If anyone can add to these names please post.

L to R: Ivy Quinn; ??; Pat McGraw; ??; Marie Smith; Stephanie Smith