Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 247990 times)

olelad

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #780 on: October 19, 2012, 11:14:17 AM »
they where a nightmare i think they used to hang about the ranch as it was known then it was the  ex-servicemens club, but smithfield on a saturday was worse. by the way jr56 ithink it was frankies brother rory that was murdered

how many brothers did frankie have ? i only knew frankie he was a couple of years older than me.

crossybelfast

« Reply #781 on: October 19, 2012, 11:20:58 AM »
i only new frankie  hes the same age as me, and rory who was a bit older, used to drink in richardsons thats how i got to know him, but i think he migtht have 1 other not to sure. havent seen frankie in a long time

marty1953

« Reply #782 on: October 19, 2012, 11:25:24 AM »
Re tartan gangs,the Woodstock  tartan where very active,and numerous ,led by the great "trade unionist"Geordie  rose,had the misfortune  too Be in the ranch on Montgomery  rd one night,when they attacked the main entrance,whith a battering ram(a telegraph pole)' lo and behold in the nick of time the guardians  of law and order from castlereagh  arrived and cracked a few skulls,can I  add  the skull cracking was carried out by British paratroopers,who happened to be stationed  in the infamous castlereagh  Interrogation  centre at the time.

olelad

« Reply #783 on: October 19, 2012, 11:26:29 AM »
i only new frankie  hes the same age as me, and rory who was a bit older, used to drink in richardsons thats how i got to know him, but i think he migtht have 1 other not to sure. havent seen frankie in a long time

i did know frankie but only just. most catholics in the area all knew each other, but not to say well.
as was said b4 one min you left your mates and they or you could have put out and gone by next morning no goodbyes anything.

crossybelfast

« Reply #784 on: October 19, 2012, 01:31:34 PM »
hi marty i remember that incident very well you can laugh about it now i suppose, but scary at the time. many a time iv had to run for my life when they spotted me,the same people i played football with not that long before. sad times

marty1953

« Reply #785 on: October 19, 2012, 02:28:44 PM »
Hi crossey ,I  recall another incident ,a very good friend  of mine( David  Meighan) and myself  had got a chip in Mayfair  ave,George  best ma owned the chippie,when this guy runs past us,blood streaming from his head,he shouted threats at us that he was going to get the Woodstock. Tartan,who at that time used to hang about the red rooster ,anyway Meekys brother was in the ranch  that night so we decided too get him out,in light of what occurred  the last time they attacked the ranch,by the time jimmy decided to come out,the tartan gang appeared at the top of Mayfair  ave,and were spread out all across the road,it was like a scene from Zulu ,we took to out heels and had to hide in Stirling. Ave in someone's  garden,we were lucky ,Pearse mc Rory was murdered in ravenhill ave ,four mts later,by people who started life in the tartan.

crossybelfast

« Reply #786 on: October 19, 2012, 02:37:38 PM »
yes marty i remember that chippie, i had forgot bestys ma owned it,i havent seen davy or jimmy either in a long time. think they moved to twinbrook same time as the fullertons i believe,what ever happened to the brennans think they lived at clonduff ?

marty1953

« Reply #787 on: October 19, 2012, 02:51:15 PM »

[size=78%] Hi crossy,the Brennan's  moved to twinbrook ,jimmy was wounded in a gun attack on Kennedy way,David  lives near the serpentine  rd and had a stroke last year.[/size]

crossybelfast

« Reply #788 on: October 19, 2012, 03:12:42 PM »
sorry to here about david having a stroke,hope hes keeping better,think i remember something bout jimmy being shot,but it must have been quite a while ago.

olelad

« Reply #789 on: October 19, 2012, 05:25:33 PM »
the red rooster chippy at the corner of daddy winkers had a gang from dromore st named after it and it was they who hung about there. we had plenty of trouble from them down the years. the worst kicking i got wasnt that far from there. it was the street which ran from the cregagh rd to loopland facing the bowling club. funny enough i remember running into frankie hawkins as i made me way home feeling all me sores. could have been alot worst as afew wanted to drag me down the entry to dish out more pain. thankfully afew stopped it.

any of yous remember a club/disco on ladas dr ? i remember been up playing footie with afew others at the hockey pitchs across the rd from whatever this joint was. a large crowd was there and afew started to run towards us to which we took flight. heard it was a club or something like that.  by the way what was the ranch ?

marty1953

« Reply #790 on: October 19, 2012, 05:48:49 PM »
HI olelad,the ranch was a disco on Montgomery rd,I think it was also used as the b
British legion,must have been there during ww2, it was ancient ,the health and safety people today,would have closed it down,but before things turned really bad,it was the place to be,Monday  nights where best,take it from me olelad the tartan hung about the red rooster,and yes I recall that club on ladas dr, it was across the road from the filling station,went too it once,it got wrecked one night by the tartan , did  anyone ever go too st bernadettes on a Sunday  night ? It was great.

olelad

« Reply #791 on: October 19, 2012, 06:02:50 PM »
HI olelad,the ranch was a disco on Montgomery rd,I think it was also used as the b
British legion,must have been there during ww2, it was ancient ,the health and safety people today,would have closed it down,but before things turned really bad,it was the place to be,Monday  nights where best,take it from me olelad the tartan hung about the red rooster,and yes I recall that club on ladas dr, it was across the road from the filling station,went too it once,it got wrecked one night by the tartan , did  anyone ever go too st bernadettes on a Sunday  night ? It was great.

that dromore st mob tartan no differance. well there was in that they bleached the w on the back of there wrangler jeans and did call themselfs the red rooster gang ! i was gonna put a smiley at the end of this but there wasnt anything funny about this lot.

crossybelfast

« Reply #792 on: October 19, 2012, 09:14:53 PM »
yeah marty would never have missed sunday nights.everytime i hear that dave edmunds song i here you knockin,i think of st bernadettes,olelad i think that was cregagh youth club beside the old firestation,i used to play for them

marty1953

« Reply #793 on: October 19, 2012, 10:16:16 PM »
Yeah crossy,st bs was part off growing up,and your right dave Edmunds  will always remind me off st bs,do you remember ft Mullan stopping people dancing to close,and no  kissing lol  !

olelad

« Reply #794 on: October 19, 2012, 10:23:33 PM »
marty did  u or any of the guys go watch glentoran 2nds up at there pitch which was somewhere up from ladas dr ? we had started going up there to watch them. safer than the oval.