Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 244104 times)

marty1953

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #825 on: October 25, 2012, 07:19:10 PM »
Thanks rose,did you have a brother called George  ,strange the police station beside the chapel,didt protect  st Anthony's  better.

Rose8

« Reply #826 on: October 25, 2012, 08:38:55 PM »
Thanks rose,did you have a brother called George  ,strange the police station beside the chapel,didnt protect  st Anthony's  better.

No marty, my bro was Dennis.  The night of that attack, there was a large crowd surrounding the barracks protesting so i guess the police were well occupied.  It was some of this group that broke away to do the damage to th P.house.  I guess it couldn't have been predicted!!
From ROSE :)
St Anthony's School story is at:  http://www.saintanthony.co.uk/page4.html

marty1953

« Reply #827 on: October 25, 2012, 09:19:48 PM »
Hi rose,when you look at the history of st ants,the unionist people never wanted a chapel built,the chapel was always a source  off great resentment ,so it was always  going to be a. Target ,as was st Matthews ,st Mary's  on the hill,and several more chapels,as for the protest outside the barracks,some of the people inside the barracks,had a lot in common  with the mob outside.

olelad

« Reply #828 on: October 26, 2012, 12:52:12 PM »
there was i believe attacks on the chapel during its building. a pigs head stuck on the railing ! so no doubt there wasnt wide spread appeal of it been built. when you look back and think of the number of catholics forced out from the east its hard to take. biggest forced movement of people since 2nd world war at the time.

jr56

« Reply #829 on: October 26, 2012, 02:45:13 PM »
anybody remember a vertically challenged wee man who stood about the castlereagh road called " wee alfie " ?  he was about the same size as me when i was about seven and he always sported a walking stick which he wasnt sfraid to use if any kid gave him a bit of lip !

Rose8

« Reply #830 on: October 26, 2012, 03:25:51 PM »
there was i believe attacks on the chapel during its building. a pigs head stuck on the railing ! so no doubt there wasnt wide spread appeal of it been built. when you look back and think of the number of catholics forced out from the east its hard to take. biggest forced movement of people since 2nd world war at the time.
and despite all the attempts through the years to get rid of it, the church is still there!

marty1953

« Reply #831 on: October 26, 2012, 04:28:27 PM »
Yeah jr56 I  remember "wee Alfie ",his temper was like his size,his nephew lived in camlough place,Dennis  small,he worked in the purity brand on prince regent road,lol,the castle cinema must have been the lousiest cinema in Belfast ,never liked that part of east Belfast ,a bit like the cinema depressing.

olelad

« Reply #832 on: October 26, 2012, 06:00:25 PM »
Yeah jr56 I  remember "wee Alfie ",his temper was like his size,his nephew lived in camlough place,Dennis  small,he worked in the purity brand on prince regent road,lol,the castle cinema must have been the lousiest cinema in Belfast ,never liked that part of east Belfast ,a bit like the cinema depressing.

talking of wee men and the castle did he ever hang around there ? for some reason i seem to remember a miget hanging around that part of the castlereagh rd ?

olelad

« Reply #833 on: October 26, 2012, 06:01:13 PM »
and despite all the attempts through the years to get rid of it, the church is still there!

indeed it is rose with the best choir in belfast  ;)

Rose8

« Reply #834 on: October 26, 2012, 06:10:07 PM »

indeed it is rose with the best choir in belfast  ;)

awww thank you, Olelad, i'll pass that on ;)

jr56

« Reply #835 on: October 27, 2012, 12:26:38 AM »
yeah olelad , wee alfie used to stand about outside the castle and outside the pet shop on the other corner of clara street ? anybody remember dobsons dairies on the montgomery road opposite the cregagh tech ? most f those streets round there were called after famous british battles or generals ( nawwwwwh reeeeally ) and we used to go in the back of dobsons at night through a street called bapaume avenue and liberate more orange juice than we could handle. .anybody else?

road hog

« Reply #836 on: October 27, 2012, 07:58:30 AM »
A friend or mine at the time,from the strand,his Father was manager of the castle, Tommy Hughes his name was
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

marty1953

« Reply #837 on: October 27, 2012, 05:17:41 PM »
Hi olelad  can't  get the personal message thread going,spoke to pat this morning,give him him info on how to join the forum,and yes those people you named,he knew them all except semple,Dobson's dairy,used to call in on the way home from school and pretend we where doing a project  for homework ,and at the end of the tour they would give you freebies,jr56 do you recall. The little forays in to Cantrell &Cochrane,cream soda,orangeade,brown lemonade.

Rose8

« Reply #838 on: October 27, 2012, 05:53:31 PM »
Thought I would just mention, Dobson's Dairies is now a large estate of  "town" houses. Also someone mentioned the wee hall facing the dairies on Montgomery Rd? This has been flattened & a new larger brick hall now being built in its place. 

crossybelfast

« Reply #839 on: October 27, 2012, 10:38:05 PM »
i used go to the castle every saturday morning,it was bedlam inside there.and wee alfie selling the telegraph at the top of clara st, does anybody remember the conlons from clara st.?