Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 246814 times)

marty1953

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #855 on: November 04, 2012, 06:21:41 PM »
Yeah jr56 often over in the east,and your right,it seems small,but I suppose when your young the world looks different,I wonder who's  idea it was too build houses in the grounds of the chapel,can anyone remember  the shop on the Woodstock. Rd it sold everything. Including  canes that use to hang outside,dick treacey  was a very good customer.

jr56

« Reply #856 on: November 06, 2012, 11:55:56 AM »
yeah marty1953 , i vaguely do remember that shop that sold the canes and yer right dick treacy must have had an account there!
Did youse have a dog that used to disappear for ages and then turn up again.....maybe it rode the buses or something ? i might be gettin mixed up in memory....whatever became of the stewarts who lived next door to you ?

marty1953

« Reply #857 on: November 06, 2012, 01:28:52 PM »
yeah jr 56 ,the dog you refered to was the one and only :rex:,he waited outside dowds house at the bend on clonduff dr everyday,when i was at st ants,got knocked down and died,jock stewart died 3 or 4 years ago,think helen his daughter lives in harrowgate st, do you remember mrs stewart. any news on joe davidson.was speaking to murt,who was married to eileen,he hadt heard anything

jr56

« Reply #858 on: November 06, 2012, 11:40:27 PM »
yeah marty1953 , i think i remember mrs stewart dying...maybe bout 67-68 ? no marty i havent heard anything further about Joe Davidson , i must ask the brother. I dont think ive ever met eileen since we got purged. Met murt on the ormeau road bout seven years ago.....a born comanche ! :haha:

road hog

« Reply #859 on: November 07, 2012, 09:20:30 AM »
There was a guy who went to gussies, I think he lived off Clonduff Drive, Freddie Toland was his name, I think he joined the paras. Any one remember him ?
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

crossybelfast

« Reply #860 on: November 07, 2012, 12:12:02 PM »
yeah road hog remember freddy well, i think he did join the paras,but havent heard bout him since i left gussies.

marty1953

« Reply #861 on: November 07, 2012, 04:20:49 PM »
Hello road hog, knew Fred  toland well,yeah he joined the infamous parachute regiment,along with two brothers who lived across the road from him,john, and Thomas  Martin,someone else joined from the estate ,jr 56 can you recall who he was? Someone told me Fred  and john martin served in Ardoyne  and stopped Noel Fitzpatrick at a checkpoint one night,apparently  Noel fitz (not the name everyone  called him) told them were to go.

Marcas

« Reply #862 on: November 07, 2012, 04:29:12 PM »
Just looking back on the thread about the guy who did the 11+ early. If memory serves me right someone did pass it when they were about 8. With a bit of a fight they got him into St Malachys and he had O levels and A levels all done by the time he was 15 ! But the university refused to take him until he was 18. Rumour had it that he went off the rails and ended up in England. Always wondered whatever happened to him and was his life a success

jr56

« Reply #863 on: November 07, 2012, 11:27:19 PM »
Hey marty1953 , yeah i remember freddie and the two martins who lived across the street...i think they all joined the paras about 1970-71  .so ironic as the martins were close blood relations of Sean Martin of short strand legend !
 Hey Marcas the guy you mention was Oliver Goldsmith who was st ants royalty though before my day. His name and achievements were often rolled out to us in a " any of you boys can be a OLIVER GOLDSMITH if you work hard enough " way....wish i had a quid for everytime something similar has been said to me.
  About 4 years ago i was at a prize giving night in st malachys and the main speaker was MARTIN O NEILL and he mentioned Oliver in his reminisce about boarding days in st malachys  ....like yourself , i woulnt mind knowing his story and what became of him.

jr56

« Reply #864 on: November 07, 2012, 11:34:55 PM »
hey marty1953 , i think the other guy who joined up at that time was a wee guy called davy ashwood.....a sound enough wee bloke from what i remember.....think he only stuck it about a year.....asked the brother about joe davidson , he said joe was diagnosed about 7 years ago but doesnt know much else.....was joe a spurs supporter ?

marty1953

« Reply #865 on: November 08, 2012, 12:30:33 AM »
Yeah jr 56, joe was a yid,joe and me went down  to Bangor  and  considered joining a spurs supporters  club, in those days Bangor, was still a place  people went  on their  hols, give it up as a bad job.,think john martin made sergeant  in the brave paras,Thomas  bought him self out then joined up again,after he got blew out by some flossie lol.

marty1953

« Reply #866 on: November 08, 2012, 12:44:51 AM »
Re Oliver  goldsmith. Just googled  him,don't. Know if its the same person but a death  notice is there for  October  12/13 for this year, can't. Recall the name at all.

road hog

« Reply #867 on: November 08, 2012, 09:07:02 AM »
Just looking back on the thread about the guy who did the 11+ early. If memory serves me right someone did pass it when they were about 8. With a bit of a fight they got him into St Malachys and he had O levels and A levels all done by the time he was 15 ! But the university refused to take him until he was 18. Rumour had it that he went off the rails and ended up in England. Always wondered whatever happened to him and was his life a success
Marcas,there is a brother of an infamous man who hailed from the short strand, who did his 11+ early and passed it.
He would have been 9 or 10 at the time. He went to St Mals. Did O levels not sure about A levels. So there was more than 1 bright spark out there.

road hog

« Reply #868 on: November 08, 2012, 09:10:09 AM »
Hello road hog, knew Fred  toland well,yeah he joined the infamous parachute regiment,along with two brothers who lived across the road from him,john, and Thomas  Martin,someone else joined from the estate ,jr 56 can you recall who he was? Someone told me Fred  and john martin served in Ardoyne  and stopped Noel Fitzpatrick at a checkpoint one night,apparently  Noel fitz (not the name everyone  called him) told them were to go.
Marty, I think I remember Noel Fitzpatrick. Did he marry a girl from the strand?

marty1953

« Reply #869 on: November 08, 2012, 10:44:19 AM »
Yeah road hog,Noel  married  Kathleen  Leonard ,who died some years ago.