Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 237549 times)

Rose8

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #585 on: January 26, 2012, 05:48:28 PM »
as for the pubs. well there was one on the corner of ardgowen st. one on the corner of beersbridge rd/woodstock rd and another on the corner of omeath st or greenore st. cant name them at all. i remember back in 69 the one on the corner of the beersbridge been burned out.
The one on Ardgowan St corner is now Eastenders (can't remember what it was before that).  The one at Omeath St was Harts (their two girls were at school with me). It was an off-licence but regulars used to drink in the back room.  The one at Beersbridge belonged also to a catholic family who went to school at St A's (can't remember their name).  There was another one just past Ravenhill Ave, the Cregagh Inn, which was my Dad's local.

The apartments and houses are almost finished and we'll be glad to see the builder's fencing come down.
From ROSE :)
St Anthony's School story is at:  http://www.saintanthony.co.uk/page4.html

olelad

« Reply #586 on: January 26, 2012, 06:00:14 PM »
The one on Ardgowan St corner is now Eastenders (can't remember what it was before that).  The one at Omeath St was Harts (their two girls were at school with me). It was an off-licence but regulars used to drink in the back room.  The one at Beersbridge belonged also to a catholic family who went to school at St A's (can't remember their name).  There was another one just past Ravenhill Ave, the Cregagh Inn, which was my Dad's local.

The apartments and houses are almost finished and we'll be glad to see the builder's fencing come down.

i remember the cregagh inn but didnt include it as its not on the woodstock. i also remember a re teacher of ours having afew beers in harts bar.

olelad

« Reply #587 on: January 27, 2012, 10:24:08 AM »
shows that there isnt many pubs on either the woodstock or cregagh rds.

Rose8

« Reply #588 on: January 27, 2012, 01:16:10 PM »
shows that there isnt many pubs on either the woodstock or cregagh rds.
Don't forget the ones off the Woodstock - 2 in My Lady's Road and 1 in Carlingford St!!

Rose8

« Reply #589 on: January 27, 2012, 01:44:37 PM »
This photo of the St Anthony's Gaelic Football Team in 1953 was posted on this forum some time ago but I just got another copy via email from Odette Rafferty's brother, Paul,  with some names he remembers from that time.  Anyone recognise anyone else in the photo??

olelad

« Reply #590 on: January 27, 2012, 05:56:01 PM »
great photo rose. harry hart is the only one i know there. b4 my time that one. id love to see a photo of vinty

olelad

« Reply #591 on: January 27, 2012, 05:56:49 PM »
Don't forget the ones off the Woodstock - 2 in My Lady's Road and 1 in Carlingford St!!

just as many of the rd than on it.

smith19

« Reply #592 on: January 28, 2012, 01:57:14 PM »
This photo of the St Anthony's Gaelic Football Team in 1953 was posted on this forum some time ago but I just got another copy via email from Odette Rafferty's brother, Paul,  with some names he remembers from that time.  Anyone recognise anyone else in the photo??

The missing links   BACK ROW  TERENCE MULHALL NEPHEW OF FINTY.  VERNON BRAITHWAITE, BRIAN SMITH, JOE PRICE.
NEXT ROW     BERTIE NULTY NOT McNULTY, JOHN CURRAN, GODFREY HANNIGAN 
NEXT ROW   JOHN MULHALL (BROTHER OF TERENCE AND NEPHEW...)  DENNIS CURRAN (BROTHER OF JOHN)  ??  JACKIE McKEOWN, DAN PRENTICE, ANDY GOODWIN.
NEXT ROW  BRIAN McKEOWN (BROTHER OF JACKIE)  ??  GERALD DOLLAGHAN, GERALD O'LOUGHLIN, BILLY CALLAGHAN,  FRANCIS DOYLE.
A few still missing, does anyone know of their present whereabouts?? Those clad in the light coloured (sky blue) shirts were the first team. Those in darker were the reserves. Sadly I was one of them. A wonderful man and teacher was "Harry" Hart and he introduced Gaelic football to the school and started the team, which brought great excitement and interest to the school and we had some fine players. He lived to a grand old age and died in recent years. 

smith19

« Reply #593 on: January 28, 2012, 02:07:39 PM »

The pub at Beersbridge - The Tramway Bar, owned partly by a Mr.Frank Ward helped by sons Sean and Frankie who lived in one of the houses on Woodstock Road, directly opposite Willowfield Parade. I'm not sure if any attended St. Anthony's, maybe sisters. As another testifies it was one of the first - if not the first pub - to be burnt out in 1969.

olelad

« Reply #594 on: January 28, 2012, 04:35:04 PM »
The pub at Beersbridge - The Tramway Bar, owned partly by a Mr.Frank Ward helped by sons Sean and Frankie who lived in one of the houses on Woodstock Road, directly opposite Willowfield Parade. I'm not sure if any attended St. Anthony's, maybe sisters. As another testifies it was one of the first - if not the first pub - to be burnt out in 1969.

was it by any chance also  known as the roseberry or something like that >

olelad

« Reply #595 on: January 28, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
The missing links   BACK ROW  TERENCE MULHALL NEPHEW OF FINTY.  VERNON BRAITHWAITE, BRIAN SMITH, JOE PRICE.
NEXT ROW     BERTIE NULTY NOT McNULTY, JOHN CURRAN, GODFREY HANNIGAN 
NEXT ROW   JOHN MULHALL (BROTHER OF TERENCE AND NEPHEW...)  DENNIS CURRAN (BROTHER OF JOHN)  ??  JACKIE McKEOWN, DAN PRENTICE, ANDY GOODWIN.
NEXT ROW  BRIAN McKEOWN (BROTHER OF JACKIE)  ??  GERALD DOLLAGHAN, GERALD O'LOUGHLIN, BILLY CALLAGHAN,  FRANCIS DOYLE.
A few still missing, does anyone know of their present whereabouts?? Those clad in the light coloured (sky blue) shirts were the first team. Those in darker were the reserves. Sadly I was one of them. A wonderful man and teacher was "Harry" Hart and he introduced Gaelic football to the school and started the team, which brought great excitement and interest to the school and we had some fine players. He lived to a grand old age and died in recent years.

the guys you mentioned in the team, do you know were they was from back then ? its all been said b4 on this thread about harry hart. i was one of the lucky ones who meet him at the reunion and everyone said the same of him great guy,great teacher. i like the rest all said of all the teachers wed had he was the best and that takes some doing as alot of had been to many schools since st anthonys.

smith19

« Reply #596 on: January 28, 2012, 07:09:26 PM »

I only knew it as The Tramway and that was its name when incinerated.

smith19

« Reply #597 on: January 28, 2012, 07:16:18 PM »

The London Bar ?? Arms, and My Lady's Inn.   The Cosy Bar in Carlingford Street   Hic!

olelad

« Reply #598 on: January 29, 2012, 12:39:33 PM »
I only knew it as The Tramway and that was its name when incinerated.

i seem to remember the name in large letters (maybe red) and im sure harry told us at the reunion he used to have afew swift halfs in there from time 2 time.

does anyone know whatever became of vinty ? maybe some of the guys from the strand might know ? i seem to remember hearing he had to retire early due to ill health ?

Paul McCarthy

« Reply #599 on: January 29, 2012, 05:48:12 PM »

going back a bit further...does anyone remember the off licence in Portallo Street. Used to be run by my grandfather Mr Terry Brady. He brought up a family of 10 there. I believe there was an informal bar in the kitchen. The girls had to ''keep dick'' and let them know if a peeler was coming by (unless iit was a peeler who would have a drink there himself that is!)