Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 237568 times)

olelad

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #615 on: February 29, 2012, 04:26:05 PM »
hello olelad, no love i was'nt,
i went to Lagan Village school for a short time,
it was early 50s are teacher was the head one there
 I think she had red hair. ;) :-* :-*

bit to far back for me  ;)  but i do remember the school as the odd time i went to meet a cousin who went there. ill never forget how dark the place was.

citybloke

« Reply #616 on: February 29, 2012, 04:53:28 PM »
I went to Lagan Village around 1954. I only have vague memories of the school. From what I can remember there were three classrooms on the ground floor. There was a corridor whch ran along outside these classrooms. The toilets were across the playground. I left about 1956 and went to Oxford Street.

olelad

« Reply #617 on: February 29, 2012, 04:59:48 PM »
I went to Lagan Village around 1954. I only have vague memories of the school. From what I can remember there were three classrooms on the ground floor. There was a corridor whch ran along outside these classrooms. The toilets were across the playground. I left about 1956 and went to Oxford Street.

i alway thought it was one large room on the ground floor with stairs stuck in the middle leading up to god knows what. but then again i was only at the place a few times.

jr56

« Reply #618 on: March 01, 2012, 11:57:38 PM »
i dont know what happened to vinty but it is interesting that a former pupil of st anthonys now lives in his old home on the mountpottinger road.

i seem to remember the name in large letters (maybe red) and im sure harry told us at the reunion he used to have afew swift halfs in there from time 2 time.

does anyone know whatever became of vinty ? maybe some of the guys from the strand might know ? i seem to remember hearing he had to retire early due to ill health ?

jr56

« Reply #619 on: March 02, 2012, 12:07:15 AM »
i remember a guy called John Wallace who lived in Tullyard way or maybe it was carncaver road.....was that the same guy?

spacetinker

« Reply #620 on: March 03, 2012, 08:29:43 PM »

Hi Citybloke. .54?....you must remember some of these wee lads.
http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=16066.0

I always remember the milk warming on the heating pipes in winter.
Long time ago now eh?

Happy trails.  .Tink

citybloke

« Reply #621 on: March 03, 2012, 09:47:46 PM »
Yes spacetinker I remember three of those lads - Kevin Doherty, John Murray and Alex Duggan. Like myself, John and Alex both lived in Madrid Street. Kevin lived off Thompson Street - I can't remember the name of the actual street.

olelad

« Reply #622 on: March 04, 2012, 08:36:55 PM »
i dont know what happened to vinty but it is interesting that a former pupil of st anthonys now lives in his old home on the mountpottinger road.

whos the ex pupil

Belfast1

« Reply #623 on: March 04, 2012, 09:58:58 PM »
Hi JR56,
Yes that is my uncle John.  As a child he lived at number 78 Tullyard Way.  I would be very interested to hear any news you could tell me of him.  He was only 16 when he died in '72, and I was only 6.  I was told he was my "guardian angel".  I will try to send you a personal message on this forum and would greatly appreciate anything about him that you could share with me.  I would post a picture I have of him from from St. Anthony's but I can't work out how to do it :-(
Thanks in advance from North America.

jr56

« Reply #624 on: March 04, 2012, 11:25:31 PM »
olelad...im reluctant to put her name up without asking her.

jr56

« Reply #625 on: March 04, 2012, 11:44:04 PM »
i will e mail you
Hi JR56,
Yes that is my uncle John.  As a child he lived at number 78 Tullyard Way.  I would be very interested to hear any news you could tell me of him.  He was only 16 when he died in '72, and I was only 6.  I was told he was my "guardian angel".  I will try to send you a personal message on this forum and would greatly appreciate anything about him that you could share with me.  I would post a picture I have of him from from St. Anthony's but I can't work out how to do it :-(

smith19

« Reply #626 on: March 05, 2012, 12:20:50 PM »

the guys you mentioned in the team, do you know were they was from back then ? its all been said b4 on this thread about harry hart. i was one of the lucky ones who meet him at the reunion and everyone said the same of him great guy,great teacher. i like the rest all said of all the teachers wed had he was the best and that takes some doing as alot of had been to many schools since st anthonys.
Did anyone take any photos at this reunion? I would delight in seeing them.

smith19

« Reply #627 on: March 05, 2012, 12:22:19 PM »
Hi JR56,
Where was Tullyard Way, was it off the Woodstock Road?

jr56

« Reply #628 on: March 05, 2012, 01:15:26 PM »
Hi Smith 19. .Tullyard way is in a estate at the top of the castlereagh road where it meets the knock dual carriageway.Up until 1972 there were between 55-70 catholic families in the estate of about 360 houses.Most of the kids from these families went to st anthonys  as this was the parish.Some people called the place clonduff estate.

olelad

« Reply #629 on: March 05, 2012, 10:03:23 PM »
olelad...im reluctant to put her name up without asking her.

no probs m8