Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 241485 times)

Rose8

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #675 on: June 07, 2012, 10:33:13 AM »
Hi Rose8
Recall the following names from my time in St. A's. during the 1950's

As the Television series asks - "Where are they now?"
Hi there, sending you a PM with more details - you must have been at St A's when I was there??
From ROSE :)
St Anthony's School story is at:  http://www.saintanthony.co.uk/page4.html

proinseas

« Reply #676 on: June 14, 2012, 10:08:55 AM »
I was there in the 60's I remember Marion Collins ,,sandra Duffin, Una walker, angela taggart, Denise Mc leasse,  Imelda Faluna,marina watson, geraldine Linden, frances Sheppard, angela grun.  funny how names come flooding back.

ogilvie107

« Reply #677 on: August 30, 2012, 06:52:57 AM »
I have just found Belfast forum and was interested on the comments on St Anthonys.
I was baptised,made my first communion and was confirmed there. I remember the currans from Willowfield Drive I knew Seamus from the
the church and then the Credit. Jimmy Burns's sister Mollie is my godmother.she is still alive anad living in a nursing home in Holywood.
I used to help Hugh Kelly(the sexton) sell the Sunday papers in the wee kiosk at the side of the chapel(Willowfiled Crescent side).
Memories

olelad

« Reply #678 on: September 10, 2012, 10:08:14 PM »
things have dried up quite a bit  ??? no gossip at all.

marty1953

« Reply #679 on: September 12, 2012, 07:06:50 PM »
was amazing to see the the photos of harry hart,a born teacher and a lovely man,dont recall miss kennedy,but remember miss morton,where was mr treacy from? he relied far to much on his cane,and eating chocolate ,in front of the class,it made everyone envious.great to see the chapel flourishing.yes good memories,but i do recall the kids who lived on our estate (castlereagh) always thought the pupils,from around the chapel,were looked at in a different light,ie; pupils getting tutored in the convent,after school? ps. castlereagh estate comprised of,clonduff dr,tullyyard way,carncaver road,carney cresent,camlough place ardkeen cresent,epsie way, killarn close. unforortunately we where part of the forty thousand exodus,from east belfast.

ogilvie107

« Reply #680 on: September 13, 2012, 02:25:03 AM »
My sister and I went to Lagan villageSchool in Richardson Street. It later closed and puils had t go to St. Anthonlys.
Although St Anthonys was closer to us my mother declared the nuns were too cruel. We had just 3 classrooms with a gas fire and gas lights. That was in the 50's. there were a lot of children from the short Strand , anderson st. etc.The head mistress Miss Byrne came in from Bangor everyday on the bus.

olelad

« Reply #681 on: September 16, 2012, 09:18:48 PM »
was amazing to see the the photos of harry hart,a born teacher and a lovely man,dont recall miss kennedy,but remember miss morton,where was mr treacy from? he relied far to much on his cane,and eating chocolate ,in front of the class,it made everyone envious.great to see the chapel flourishing.yes good memories,but i do recall the kids who lived on our estate (castlereagh) always thought the pupils,from around the chapel,were looked at in a different light,ie; pupils getting tutored in the convent,after school? ps. castlereagh estate comprised of,clonduff dr,tullyyard way,carncaver road,carney cresent,camlough place ardkeen cresent,epsie way, killarn close. unforortunately we where part of the forty thousand exodus,from east belfast.

72 saw the biggest exodus from the parish. i knew the number was high but 40.000 ! 40 years ago.

marty1953

« Reply #682 on: September 18, 2012, 08:35:07 PM »
re exodus from east belfast,my information is that,5,000 catholic families had to leave the east,it was the biggest movement of people in  an area 10/15 square miles,in western europe,ballybeen,comber rd.cregagh est,braniel,clarawood,tullycarnet,ardcarnet,castlereagh rd, castlereagh est.woodstock rd,upper n/ards rd,beersbridge rd, bloomfield,cregagh rd,orangefield,plus all the catholic business,(pubs,greengrocers.etc.

ogilvie107

« Reply #683 on: September 19, 2012, 06:24:11 AM »
That must have been during the Big Strike. Where sis all those people go to.I was then living in england but very worried about my mother, father and brother.
They were fine though.

olelad

« Reply #684 on: September 19, 2012, 02:05:47 PM »
re exodus from east belfast,my information is that,5,000 catholic families had to leave the east,it was the biggest movement of people in  an area 10/15 square miles,in western europe,ballybeen,comber rd.cregagh est,braniel,clarawood,tullycarnet,ardcarnet,castlereagh rd, castlereagh est.woodstock rd,upper n/ards rd,beersbridge rd, bloomfield,cregagh rd,orangefield,plus all the catholic business,(pubs,greengrocers.etc.

thats correct the exodus of catholics put out from the east was the highest movement of people in europe a fact lost on many people ! st anthonys parish lost 97% of its flock

marty1953

« Reply #685 on: September 19, 2012, 04:14:22 PM »
re exodus east belfast,still proud of where i was born and reared,a lot of happy memories(watching the glens draw with benfica,that would be the equivalent of holding barca to a draw in this age).imagine kids going to a school like st anthonys nowadays,outside toilets,heating that went on and off,a wicked nun,being taught in storeroom at the side of the chapel,the girls in the parochial hall.midnight mass at christmas time is a good memory, i recall some of our protestant neighbours,in st anthonys at midnightmass.

olelad

« Reply #686 on: September 19, 2012, 04:29:09 PM »
re exodus east belfast,still proud of where i was born and reared,a lot of happy memories(watching the glens draw with benfica,that would be the equivalent of holding barca to a draw in this age).imagine kids going to a school like st anthonys nowadays,outside toilets,heating that went on and off,a wicked nun,being taught in storeroom at the side of the chapel,the girls in the parochial hall.midnight mass at christmas time is a good memory, i recall some of our protestant neighbours,in st anthonys at midnightmass.

7-30 mass every sunday which is a thing of the past these days. outside bogs was the norm to most back in the day. pint of milk or was it half pints ? playing footie in the play yeard with a tennis ball. which when went over the wall into the girls side no one ever dared even get a leg up to ask for it back. normally the girls threw it back right away.  :) like what you said we had no say in where we was born and reared in. no matter where we all ended up those memorys be they good or bad or part of us, part of our history.

ogilvie107

« Reply #687 on: September 20, 2012, 07:11:36 AM »
I remember that milk it was a third of a pint, Frozen in the winter and off in the summer. I went to Lagan village in Richardson Street.
Every winter I hoped it would be cold enough for the pipes to freeze in the outside toiltes as that meant a day off.
When my mother died in 1979 there were more protestants in the congregation the catholics which Fr Stewart acknowledged.

Rose8

« Reply #688 on: September 20, 2012, 05:27:34 PM »
When my mother died in 1979 there were more protestants in the congregation the catholics which Fr Stewart acknowledged.
Fr Stewart has been retired for a number of years now but still helps out in St Anthony's from time to time.
From ROSE :)
St Anthony's School story is at:  http://www.saintanthony.co.uk/page4.html

marty1953

« Reply #689 on: September 26, 2012, 09:46:30 PM »
was speaking to my brother-in law,jim tumelty from glendower st/earl haigh gds.he said there was never a pub at the corner of ardgowan st,it was always an off license,anyone remember the mc culloughs who lived in ardgowan st. ???