Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 244138 times)

frankie.m

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #720 on: October 05, 2012, 10:04:03 PM »
i lived in clonduff dr,jr 56 lived in tullyard way,yeah great memories of the east,and we have`t started about the summers spent in castlereagh glen,and going to t-more baths. :)
hi marty would your last name be mcnally

jr56

« Reply #721 on: October 06, 2012, 12:03:22 AM »
Hey Marty1953 ye called that whole side of clonduff spot on...cant think of any house ye didnt cover..sharp memory ! wow " hands off cuba " on mersey street wall ! thats a cracker. Do you remember the craic we had in LORD ROBERTS MEMORIAL WORKSHOPS ? in the summer before the grass had been cut and it was still 2 feet high we were commandos every night and that was after a two hour game of football at montgomery stadium ( the outer field beside hughes tool company ) fifteen a side some nights and no sectarian trouble in those hazy days of the mid sixties...where would ye get it.ha.

marty1953

« Reply #722 on: October 06, 2012, 10:56:25 AM »
what a great description,of life in castlereagh,yes those were the summers when it seemed,it would never  rain,and the football played at the side of hughes tool co.now gone in to legend,sectarianism was a town in russia,lord roberts field  played havoc with my hayfever,the swing up the glen was great craic,and the tramp who reputedly lived there,think he made an appearance one day,while we exploring the river.

olelad

« Reply #723 on: October 06, 2012, 07:35:37 PM »
at the reunion i think the only guy from clonduff area who went was john marks who was in the same class as me at st anthonys. also from the class of 69 was gerry christian, francie rehill and tony mcloughlin rip. also from that area was david carlisle rip who we never found out were they lived but reckon it was up around castlereagh ? maybe you guys remember those guys ?
meet john mcguinness in craigavon who also lived up there.

marty1953

« Reply #724 on: October 06, 2012, 08:02:40 PM »
was in the same class as john mc guiness at gusties,he lived in tullyard way,think artie rehill might  have been in the same class,knew leo christain,and his oldest brother terence also john marks had a brother called francie and patrick,cant recall his sisters,bernadette maybe?jr 56 remember "dereks shop ---- what a character,bleached blonde hair,hush puppies,and a cravat,he  makes julian simmons,from utv look butch,jr56 do you remember where jimmy young lived,and his partner jack lol,and going to the house at halloween,never give you money,just nuts,lol

frankie.m

« Reply #725 on: October 07, 2012, 03:37:47 PM »
marty i had a aunt and uncle lived on clonduff dr a long time ago my cousin jim was my best man at my wedding i left belfast 1964 came to canada  i do remember the whole family there was 3 boys and 4 girls   i came from shortstrand.

olelad

« Reply #726 on: October 07, 2012, 07:48:02 PM »
any of you clonduff guys remember a large house on the cregagh rd facing harding ps. right on the corner of daddy winkers lane ? must have been late 60s while it lay empty we played many aday in it. old spray cans we found in planty and filled them up with water and sprayed each other ! god knows what had been used in them b4 we found them ? i also remember us all heading up there only to find the place on fire. the shops which our built there now was the result of that fire. a chippy was on the corner called the red rooster. a gang from dromore st even named themselfs after that joint. think the large house was a denists. just wondering does anyone remember it in use.

jr56

« Reply #727 on: October 07, 2012, 11:53:08 PM »
hey Marty1953 , you right those summer days were the best of our lives , two slices o toast ( probably with stork on it )  and yer ma shoving ye out the door " dinners at half five dont come back before that unless yer bleeding " out on to the street and every day brought a new adventure. The McGuinnes s had a three legged boxer dog called spike.
 Olelad i remember that big house your talking about we thought it was haunted ! Do you remember that ther used to be a carnival or something in the grounds of the rugby club on daddy censored lane ? ther were 2 ways we could walk home from school the first way was to walk through to the castle flix and then straight up the castlereagh rd ( usually got the bus ) and the other way was up the cregagh road ,through daddy censored lane , through marshalls rd and out onto montgomery rd and onto clonduff we always stopped for a plunder at the wee river at the ladas drive end of the lane do you remember that river ?
 i remember bunkin into the ambassador about 69 and watchin this film called helga. .it was the first film that ever showed an actual childbirth ! i was as sick as a dog !
 i think the reihills moved to fermanagh. Totes mclaughlin was killed in a road accident way down in wicklow or thereabouts. Im pretty sure that David Carlisle lived way up the ballygowan rd at ryan park beside the cemetry i think he may be dead as well,

marty1953

« Reply #728 on: October 08, 2012, 10:38:44 AM »
hi jr56 ,cant recall the house facing harding mem,but i do remember the big house at the corner of ballygowan rd,(john dory chippie is there now),we were in it one day when members of the co-op,followed robbie burns,and retrived various items,that belonged to the co-op,cue bedlam and the wrath of my ma 3 days latter,my ears were sore for a week!

olelad

« Reply #729 on: October 08, 2012, 09:22:40 PM »
hey Marty1953 , you right those summer days were the best of our lives , two slices o toast ( probably with stork on it )  and yer ma shoving ye out the door " dinners at half five dont come back before that unless yer bleeding " out on to the street and every day brought a new adventure. The McGuinnes s had a three legged boxer dog called spike.
 Olelad i remember that big house your talking about we thought it was haunted ! Do you remember that ther used to be a carnival or something in the grounds of the rugby club on daddy censored lane ? ther were 2 ways we could walk home from school the first way was to walk through to the castle flix and then straight up the castlereagh rd ( usually got the bus ) and the other way was up the cregagh road ,through daddy censored lane , through marshalls rd and out onto montgomery rd and onto clonduff we always stopped for a plunder at the wee river at the ladas drive end of the lane do you remember that river ?
 i remember bunkin into the ambassador about 69 and watchin this film called helga. .it was the first film that ever showed an actual childbirth ! i was as sick as a dog !
 i think the reihills moved to fermanagh. Totes mclaughlin was killed in a road accident way down in wicklow or thereabouts. Im pretty sure that David Carlisle lived way up the ballygowan rd at ryan park beside the cemetry i think he may be dead as well,

we wasnt sure were the carlisles lived but knew it was up that direction. david sadly died afew years back and as you say tony mclaughlin died in a car crash. they moved to downpatrick from clonduff. rehills as say moved to fermanagh.
interesting the 2 directions yous mainly used going home from st anthonys. i seem to remember the guys going straight up the cregagh rd.
do you remember aiden corrigan ? they had a shop on the corner of ballygowen rd b4 moving down the castlereagh rd.
at the reunion we meet mark and terrance o hara who lived on the castlereagh rd maybe you remember them ?
i dont remember the fair at daddy winkers lane but i do remember malone rugby club house been built 68 ? and the flats straight across from the pk. we spent lots of time up there and only got put of as the troubles started. a fair few kickings was dished out around there.

jr56

« Reply #730 on: October 08, 2012, 10:56:35 PM »
hey Marty1953 , i certainly remember that big house on the corner of the ballygowan road and the carriageway and i remember the incident your talkin g about. .manys a bar of choc enjoyed ( stole ) from that establishment ! when they flattened it and built shops the corrigans that olelad mentions had one of the shops before they moved down the castlereagh road....i think the Corrigans were armagh people.
             Gerry Christian was a couple of years behind me at st anthonys and i still see Gerry now and again he is living round the markets i think. Terence O Hara was in my class and his older brother Mark was in my brothers class. They lived on the castlereagh road and live about the glen road now. Still see them about now and again. D oes anybody remember mister Kelly would have cuffed ye with his cap if ye were messing about in the chapel grounds ? does anyone remember a guy who lived about two streets from the school called joe mallon....he was in our class....or paddy stephenson who lived in a street opposite the castle cinema?      What about the legend that Finty Mulhall threw up to everybody.....the one ! the only ! passed his qually when he was three....OLIVER GOLDSMITH.HAHA.

marty1953

« Reply #731 on: October 09, 2012, 10:20:23 AM »
very funny story re, vinty mulhall(little caesar)remember the mallons,o`hara, the corrigans are Fermanagh people,and the shop on the ballygowan rd,can still recall the shop been boycotted,by the ulster folk,the green bus stop was about 100 yds up the road,the fare was 2d compared to the red bus (3d),we got ourselves 4 carmels,in cunninghams shop with the penny you saved,and some abuse from fanny mc roberts.what about lily beggs,candy apples ha ha.

olelad

« Reply #732 on: October 09, 2012, 03:54:34 PM »
hey Marty1953 , i certainly remember that big house on the corner of the ballygowan road and the carriageway and i remember the incident your talkin g about. .manys a bar of choc enjoyed ( stole ) from that establishment ! when they flattened it and built shops the corrigans that olelad mentions had one of the shops before they moved down the castlereagh road....i think the Corrigans were armagh people.
             Gerry Christian was a couple of years behind me at st anthonys and i still see Gerry now and again he is living round the markets i think. Terence O Hara was in my class and his older brother Mark was in my brothers class. They lived on the castlereagh road and live about the glen road now. Still see them about now and again. D oes anybody remember mister Kelly would have cuffed ye with his cap if ye were messing about in the chapel grounds ? does anyone remember a guy who lived about two streets from the school called joe mallon....he was in our class....or paddy stephenson who lived in a street opposite the castle cinema?      What about the legend that Finty Mulhall threw up to everybody.....the one ! the only ! passed his qually when he was three....OLIVER GOLDSMITH.HAHA.

gerry christian was a half decent footballer back in the day. heard he was living in the markets. corrigans opened a shop on the castlereagh rd not that far away from the castle cinema. moved to omagh from belfast.  oharas living in west belfast as u say. the name joe mallon rings a bell but tbh cant place a face or memory to him.
wot year did u leave st anthonys ? cant remember a kelly teacher. we was lucky in that harry hart seemed to teach us from p4 up

olelad

« Reply #733 on: October 09, 2012, 04:43:30 PM »
there was a decent clothes shop between my ladys rd and the rex which alway seemed to have there front window decked out with ben sherman shirts. anyone remember it and maybe a name ?

marty1953

« Reply #734 on: October 09, 2012, 10:22:44 PM »
Hi Olelad, kelly was the sexton,not a teacher,spoke to my brother-in law,he went to St Anthonys,early fifties he remembers the house facing  Harding memorial,according too him the person who owned the house,used too stand at the cable end off the property and wink at passers-by,hence the name daddy winkers lane,as for the shop with the display of ben shermans,i think it was called  victors?jr56  do  you still have your guilder,ha ha :)