Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 238310 times)

jr56

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #735 on: October 09, 2012, 10:54:07 PM »
Hi marty53 , aint got the guider anymore , they were the days!. olelad i cant remember the name of that shop but i can remember droolin over a pair of wranglers in their window in the days when we were just startin to think fashion rather than wearin whatever yer ma bought for ye....yeah should have explained that ole kelly wasnt a teacher. anybody remember askin the sergeant in the barracks to let ye out into the yard  to get the ball ? olelad i think i left the school in 67 or 68 not too sure...what year did you leave?

olelad

« Reply #736 on: October 09, 2012, 11:01:56 PM »
Hi marty53 , aint got the guider anymore , they were the days!. olelad i cant remember the name of that shop but i can remember droolin over a pair of wranglers in their window in the days when we were just startin to think fashion rather than wearin whatever yer ma bought for ye....yeah should have explained that ole kelly wasnt a teacher. anybody remember askin the sergeant in the barracks to let ye out into the yard  to get the ball ? olelad i think i left the school in 67 or 68 not too sure...what year did you leave?

i left 69 which means we was at school at the same time. in 68 we moved over to the parish hall in the grounds of the chapel as the school was been refurbed. 67 was when lagan village moved over.
mark taylor, pat mccullough, dessie crilly, aiden corrigan would have been in the year b4 me which means they left in 68.
im sure dessie crillys dad was sexton late 60s ? if that guy kelly was from willowfield dr he was one of 3 brothers who went to the reunion.

olelad

« Reply #737 on: October 09, 2012, 11:04:42 PM »
Hi Olelad, kelly was the sexton,not a teacher,spoke to my brother-in law,he went to St Anthonys,early fifties he remembers the house facing  Harding memorial,according too him the person who owned the house,used too stand at the cable end off the property and wink at passers-by,hence the name daddy [censored] lane,as for the shop with the display of ben shermans,i think it was called  victors?jr56  do  you still have your guilder,ha ha :)

there was also a clothes shop on the corner of tildard st right on the corner facing ardgowen st. they sold wangler jeans not wranglers  :D that other shop was a cut above the rest

jr56

« Reply #738 on: October 10, 2012, 03:05:37 PM »
hey olelad..the kelly man was tall and old even then maybe he was sexton in the early sixties...although that name crilly sounds very familiar ! ....some other guys in my class were jackie fitzpatrick , kevin coleman , sid walsh , paul fullerton , gerry rooney , paul kerr. .and there was a guy called peter murray who i think lived up the rocky road  ....anybody remember there used to be a motorbike club ( hells angels to us ! ) near the junction of the rocky road and manse road...ithink they called it the hellfire club.
 hey marty53 that guy at the corner gable across from harding was jimmy saville.lol.

olelad

« Reply #739 on: October 10, 2012, 05:05:34 PM »
hey olelad..the kelly man was tall and old even then maybe he was sexton in the early sixties...although that name crilly sounds very familiar ! ....some other guys in my class were jackie fitzpatrick , kevin coleman , sid walsh , paul fullerton , gerry rooney , paul kerr. .and there was a guy called peter murray who i think lived up the rocky road  ....anybody remember there used to be a motorbike club ( hells angels to us ! ) near the junction of the rocky road and manse road...ithink they called it the hellfire club.
 hey marty53 that guy at the corner gable across from harding was jimmy saville.lol.

colemans lived up ravenhill ave or a street of it. colm was in my class. not sure were they moved from there but heard lower ormo ?
walshs also lived up that direction. heard someone say they went west belfast ? fitzpatrick again ravenhill ave moved to downpatrick or so i heard anyway. everyone spread all over the place.
the hells angles i remember really well. a mates brother was in it. they had a lock up back of ardgowen st and used to hang about that shop between ravenhill ave and cregagh st. handy to ritches chippy ! some great bikes they had. lots with chopper handle bars really looked the part. that was early 70s.
forgot to say john mcguinness whos you knew moved to england early 80s.

olelad

« Reply #740 on: October 10, 2012, 05:09:49 PM »
just thinking that some of the donnellys from imperial st would have been in and around your ages ? colin was in same class as me and i knocked about with him up until we was put out. think they moved to twinbrook.

jr56

« Reply #741 on: October 11, 2012, 02:14:05 PM »
gary donnelly was in my class for a couple of the early years even though he was older than me...dont know how that worked ...maybe p2 and p3 together for a year or two . One of the donnelly lads died very young and big Gary died in twinbrook about 7 years ago....the ma and da , jimmy and patsy moved over to dunmurry aftr that. F itzpatricks moved to twinbrook from ravenhill and noel still lives there though the rest are elsewhere....jackie lives antrim road somewhere and teaches in a school in the west. I remember the fitzpatrick girl
( Marion maybe ? ) played the lion in the st monicas christmas production of the wizard of oz....she was brilliant. any of yez ever in a fair dig with any of the euston street primary lads ?

citybloke

« Reply #742 on: October 11, 2012, 06:33:57 PM »
Hi Olelad
The Colemans moved across here to England and settled in Rochdale in the early seventies. I used to know the older lads - Eamon and  Brendan who both became teachers.  One of the younger brothers moved to Australia and another I think moved back to the South of Ireland - possibly Colm

olelad

« Reply #743 on: October 11, 2012, 07:00:08 PM »
Hi Olelad
The Colemans moved across here to England and settled in Rochdale in the early seventies. I used to know the older lads - Eamon and  Brendan who both became teachers.  One of the younger brothers moved to Australia and another I think moved back to the South of Ireland - possibly Colm

cheers citybloke. alway of interest to know were ex pupils moved from the parish. cuz so many of us was been put out one min youd have finnished playing and went home only to find next day theyd maybe been put out and forced to move.

olelad

« Reply #744 on: October 11, 2012, 07:04:20 PM »
gary donnelly was in my class for a couple of the early years even though he was older than me...dont know how that worked ...maybe p2 and p3 together for a year or two . One of the donnelly lads died very young and big Gary died in twinbrook about 7 years ago....the ma and da , jimmy and patsy moved over to dunmurry aftr that. F itzpatricks moved to twinbrook from ravenhill and noel still lives there though the rest are elsewhere....jackie lives antrim road somewhere and teaches in a school in the west. I remember the fitzpatrick girl
( Marion maybe ? ) played the lion in the st monicas christmas production of the wizard of oz....she was brilliant. any of yez ever in a fair dig with any of the euston street primary lads ?

i lived every close to euston st ps and knocked about with guys who went there. come the troubles things changed and by 71 it was a them and us. tbh most but not all would have talked when given the chance but it was saftey in numbers by then.
as for the donnelly any word on what colins at ?

olelad

« Reply #745 on: October 11, 2012, 08:03:22 PM »
few names of guys older than me who yous might remember frankie harkins. mark taylor. paul mcmahon. alex wall. sam semple.
there was a guy mullen in our class who lived downshire area and a peter scott up around creagah estate or nearby ? both of which none of us could defo say were they lived or moved. maybe some of you might remember them

road hog

« Reply #746 on: October 11, 2012, 08:04:35 PM »

i lived every close to euston st ps and knocked about with guys who went there. come the troubles things changed and by 71 it was a them and us. tbh most but not all would have talked when given the chance but it was saftey in numbers by then.
as for the donnelly any word on what colins at ?
OLELAD, they talk about "victims" of the troubles, but do people take into consideration the young guys and girls, who, in their estimation were denied their adolescence, and allowed to grow up and mature in the area that they grew up in. What a different place it may have been.   
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

jr56

« Reply #747 on: October 11, 2012, 10:38:04 PM »
Hey olelad , dontnknow what colin donnelly is at these days ....him and his brother are into rockabilly dancin and bodybuiiding but i dont know which is into which !  .i knew alex wall , paul mcmahon and the mullen guy who lived off the montgomery road near lisnasharragh school....another guy who was in our class was martin walker who also lived in clonduff. A guy told me that st anthonys chapel and st colmcilles in ballyhackamore were both " satellite " parishes of st mathews. if that was the case then it sounds like st mathews was the launching point for the expansion of catholics into the east of the city startin well over a hundred years ago. .the early seventies pogroms undid  90% of that in 3 years ! there must have been tens of thousands of us intimidated out.

marty1953

« Reply #748 on: October 12, 2012, 11:45:13 AM »
hi jr 56,laughed my socks off,re the jimmy saville line,just heard it was da mc cartan/joe devine standing winking at people lol,didt know sid walsh was in your class,did he read a famous statement some years ago?,as for jackie fitz ,one of the wittest people i have ever met,god bless all three of you.martin walker,is that geralds younger brother,gerry rooney,john was his brother,(r.i.p),and yes my information was that 4/5 thousand catholic families left the east,there was  a lot of large families,6/8 per household maybe,i read somewhere it was 30,000.40,000 people left a very  small area.any memories about derek marsden?hey phil over at the man u v spurs.met raymond mc cartney,and guess what he supports the yids----what a hero!

crossybelfast

« Reply #749 on: October 12, 2012, 12:12:24 PM »
its great listening to you guys, brings back so many memmories,i remember the carnival at the the rugby ground and the hells angels den can any of yous rememember a teacher called tracey,he smoked big cigars,his class from memory was the building in the chapel grounds,i can still emell those cigars to this day and vintys cooffee of course