Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 237238 times)

olelad

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #750 on: October 12, 2012, 01:18:07 PM »
its great listening to you guys, brings back so many memmories,i remember the carnival at the the rugby ground and the hells angels den can any of yous rememember a teacher called tracey,he smoked big cigars,his class from memory was the building in the chapel grounds,i can still emell those cigars to this day and vintys cooffee of course

if he wore glasses then its the same guy. worst teacher i ever got !  :) someone told me that room was svp held there meetings. think he taught us in p4. he left after that year to god knows were.

crossybelfast

« Reply #751 on: October 12, 2012, 01:33:07 PM »
i think your right re svp, cant remember if he wore glasses or not.just remember the smell of those cigars.

olelad

« Reply #752 on: October 12, 2012, 02:06:02 PM »
i think your right re svp, cant remember if he wore glasses or not.just remember the smell of those cigars.

think it was the same guy alright. thank god harry hart taught us right to we finnished there.
 also the classes were mixed together ie p6/p7. p5/p4. so while you were in the same class room as someone you wasnt as far as the class register goes. thats why they opened the girls school in the convent ground to ease the over crowding.

crossybelfast

« Reply #753 on: October 12, 2012, 02:10:18 PM »
remember harry hart very well a real gentleman, i was taught by miss morton who got married and became mrs conway,this might be before your time olelad.

jr56

« Reply #754 on: October 12, 2012, 02:14:30 PM »
 ??? hey marty 53 , yeah the same sid and your right gerry rooneys brother was john who was also an ex pupil...john was killed in a accident in twinbrook in 74. Gerald Walker was indeed martins brother and also a ex pupil.he died sometime in the mid seventies...so sad.
 I think the guys are talkin about Dick Treacy ( bout as interestin as a cup of porridge ) he should have been lecturing on insomnia  .he could send me to sleep in 3 minutes!  .another teacher that taught us in that class at the side of the chapel was Frank Dolaghan who lived along Jocelyn.....he wasnt the worst....i think he believed in all of us. I ve just read that back to myself and realised that ive said something positive about a teacher ! .in the first couple of years after leaving i would never have said anything like that ( except for harry hart who was too good for this world ! ) and looking back now miss o kane and miss morton were okay as well ! rose-tinted glasses or what ?  .hey olelad you seem to be the main thread thru all of this so what about another re-union ?

crossybelfast

« Reply #755 on: October 12, 2012, 02:41:35 PM »
yeah jr56 i remember now it was dick by name and by nature i suppose, i remember the rooneys,but i remember peter who was a great artist think he lived in the strand

olelad

« Reply #756 on: October 12, 2012, 03:46:10 PM »
??? hey marty 53 , yeah the same sid and your right gerry rooneys brother was john who was also an ex pupil...john was killed in a accident in twinbrook in 74. Gerald Walker was indeed martins brother and also a ex pupil.he died sometime in the mid seventies...so sad.
 I think the guys are talkin about Dick Treacy ( bout as interestin as a cup of porridge ) he should have been lecturing on insomnia  .he could send me to sleep in 3 minutes!  .another teacher that taught us in that class at the side of the chapel was Frank Dolaghan who lived along Jocelyn.....he wasnt the worst....i think he believed in all of us. I ve just read that back to myself and realised that ive said something positive about a teacher ! .in the first couple of years after leaving i would never have said anything like that ( except for harry hart who was too good for this world ! ) and looking back now miss o kane and miss morton were okay as well ! rose-tinted glasses or what ?  .hey olelad you seem to be the main thread thru all of this so what about another re-union ?

another reunion ! good god no  :D great idea but tbh i wouldnt have the time as b4. it was great meeting up with clem, robert and joe who i went 2 school with and hadnt seen them since 72. we put in alot of work going here and there putting it altogether and result was agreat day out. meeting old mates and meeting new ones. everyone had a lead on this one or that one. were they moved to. wot they at now. i found it all interesting and i took the job on of putting together our class register class of 69. which as youd see is near complete. not only the names but were they lived and were they moved to. job not finnished so hence my ever ending interest on the thread. clem mcilhatton is the guy who has the most knowledge of the parish and alot of what im spouting is info i got of him. although we all had memorys which the other had forgot. i was also lucky that i meet all but 3 of guys id ran around with most when living in the east. but if anyone wants to put a reunion together id do wot ever i could to help. my opinion and that of the guys who helped on the last one is. the parish priest needs to be the driving force behind one but we found him not that interested in the parish history and only interested in whats there now and not the ones who was there b4. rose knows alot of whats going on in the parish these days and maybe he will have a change of mind but i wouldnt bank on it. ok guys a bit long winded but thats that of me chest  :D

olelad

« Reply #757 on: October 12, 2012, 03:48:37 PM »

you know what i think this is the guy i remember. stout bloke glasses. god i hated him teaching. i ran out of his class and i was put of re for life after that  :D

jr56

« Reply #758 on: October 13, 2012, 12:11:46 AM »
hey olelad understand bout the reunion , no prob , maybe marty 53 might consider the proposition ! Anyway, the banter about treacy brought back a memory that has made me chuckle all day , bear with me !
    About 16-18 years ago i was in Sarsefields gaa club one saturday night and was out in the bogs , i was standing at the urinal and realised that the guy standing beside me was a old st ants man. His name was marty lundy and i remembered that he was from the mount and went to our school . He was the big act in the club that night , his band were well known at the time they were called KATMANDU. Instead of introducing myself and telling him the connection i said to the wall " HARRY HART LET A FART "  yer man took a quick glance and said back " VINTY TRIED TO CATCH IT , TREACY HID BEHIND THE DOOR AND HIT IT WITH A HATCHET ! "  i laughed and so did he, though we never said another word , cause he rushed out and went straight back onto the stage.
   A minute later i sat back down at our table and everyone was silent and looking a bit bewildered and i thought to myself why are they all looking so freaked ? .my wife then said " what was all that about in the toilets ? "  i said " what " she said " farts and hatchets and all that stuff "   .i looked up at the stage and lundy was smilin down at the table. .he had one of those radiomicrophone jobbys on and every word that passed in those toilets came out through the big speakers in the main hall  .where would you get it !

olelad

« Reply #759 on: October 13, 2012, 06:50:03 PM »
hey olelad understand bout the reunion , no prob , maybe marty 53 might consider the proposition ! Anyway, the banter about treacy brought back a memory that has made me chuckle all day , bear with me !
    About 16-18 years ago i was in Sarsefields gaa club one saturday night and was out in the bogs , i was standing at the urinal and realised that the guy standing beside me was a old st ants man. His name was marty lundy and i remembered that he was from the mount and went to our school . He was the big act in the club that night , his band were well known at the time they were called KATMANDU. Instead of introducing myself and telling him the connection i said to the wall " HARRY HART LET A FART "  yer man took a quick glance and said back " VINTY TRIED TO CATCH IT , TREACY HID BEHIND THE DOOR AND HIT IT WITH A HATCHET ! "  i laughed and so did he, though we never said another word , cause he rushed out and went straight back onto the stage.
   A minute later i sat back down at our table and everyone was silent and looking a bit bewildered and i thought to myself why are they all looking so freaked ? .my wife then said " what was all that about in the toilets ? "  i said " what " she said " farts and hatchets and all that stuff "   .i looked up at the stage and lundy was smilin down at the table. .he had one of those radiomicrophone jobbys on and every word that passed in those toilets came out through the big speakers in the main hall  .where would you get it !

great story m8. in my day it was gallagher standing behind the door  :D think he lived on roseberry rd and while he never taught me a cousin and few mates had him as teacher and a bit of a fire brand by all acounts.
seems everyone who went to st anthonys has a version it. wonder how the girls side went  :)
any of yous remember the woods from cregagh estate. didnt go to st anthonys but were at gusties and there was a guy who lived of the first street at the roundabout as ladas drive joins cregegh rd.  irwin maybe ?
the lundys from the mount. was they a large family whos back would have been just behind the houses on the woodstock facing radnor st ?

marty1953

« Reply #760 on: October 14, 2012, 02:16:30 PM »
Jr 56  where did seamy beard,and gerard Majella go,think gee, went to gusties,but what primary did they attend,any news on jo davidson someone said he was suffering from motor neuron condition,yeah remember treacey well liked to cane pepole a lot,one day he was going too cane pat boyd rip.when pat took off,pursued by sean mc grattan,and micky o hara,never saw him again.

olelad

« Reply #761 on: October 14, 2012, 05:23:31 PM »
talking of school reunions im not long back from one. spent most of it with another guy who was at gusties. small world  :)

jr56

« Reply #762 on: October 15, 2012, 12:16:01 AM »
hey mart53....i dont know where them two boyos went to school ! im sure it would have been st ants and yet i cant recall any of them ever talkin bout school. I didnt know joe davidson wasnt too good ! must ask the brother...he was more joes mate and age....christ that motor neurone disease is the one you just dont wanna get  .id take any of the cancers anyday before that if i had a choice ! i will always remember joes ma callin him in for dinner....the boomin austrian gulder YOOOOSEFFF !  ....i hope he is okay.
    aye i  think i remember hearing about pat boyd ( dumpa diva ) doin a runner. .another st ants legend was oul annie fullerton trailin the vale off bernadina.
      i was at lundys house once in the early sixties....sorta remember it was near the big house in the middle of the mount ( lord mountpottingers house i think ) .any of yez remember the whole class gettin marched down to cherryville st school for an examination by the nittynurse ! .hey crossey , yeah peter rooney was a great artist though they lived in the cregagh est...peter has been living in glengormley for donkeys.

marty1953

« Reply #763 on: October 15, 2012, 08:38:25 PM »

Yeah jr56 I recall the big Austrian  well , I used too get bantered about my ma's free state accent, very sad how Joe's ma died, my ma had one or two run in's with bernadena like the time she all most pulled her veil off outside the convent,and told father Fullerton  unless he got rid of her that me and my sis would end up in lisnasharragh ps lol,is seamy beard living in the west.

jr56

« Reply #764 on: October 15, 2012, 11:37:55 PM »
hey marty53 , id say your ma could give bernadena as good as she got all day long... a wee whirlwind ! lol.....aye, the beard is living in the west alright but i dont think hes keepin the best these days , tell ye when i see ye. his brother gerard is livin glenavy direction. what about hugh ( bucher ) burns ? do ye ever hear anything bout him ? that st that olelads talkin bout ( ran from ladas drive to motgomery road...elsie bests chippie on the corner ) there was a guy in our class from that st...kevin hill.