Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 239345 times)

bradbhoy

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #765 on: October 16, 2012, 09:54:33 PM »
Hi lads and lasses of St Anthony's.  Just discovered this forum Saturday and it has taken until now to read from the start! I'm one of the older ones, attending from 1948 until 1955.  Remember Vinty and Harry well but I'm sure my first teacher in the infants was Miss Lee whose name I haven't seen mentioned. Suppose I could be wrong though, memory going a bit. I went to St Mary's in 56 with Brian McKeown from Upper Frank St, Gerry Dollaghan from the Parade(is he still about the parish) and Pat McVeigh from Cregagh Estate
BTW Hat doffed and many thanks to olelad for being the driving force on here for SIX years!!!

olelad

« Reply #766 on: October 17, 2012, 12:18:13 AM »
hey marty53 , id say your ma could give bernadena as good as she got all day long... a wee whirlwind ! lol.....aye, the beard is living in the west alright but i dont think hes keepin the best these days , tell ye when i see ye. his brother gerard is livin glenavy direction. what about hugh ( bucher ) burns ? do ye ever hear anything bout him ? that st that olelads talkin bout ( ran from ladas drive to motgomery road...elsie bests chippie on the corner ) there was a guy in our class from that st...kevin hill.

thats the guy. heard he still lives there

olelad

« Reply #767 on: October 17, 2012, 09:19:08 AM »
Hi lads and lasses of St Anthony's.  Just discovered this forum Saturday and it has taken until now to read from the start! I'm one of the older ones, attending from 1948 until 1955.  Remember Vinty and Harry well but I'm sure my first teacher in the infants was Miss Lee whose name I haven't seen mentioned. Suppose I could be wrong though, memory going a bit. I went to St Mary's in 56 with Brian McKeown from Upper Frank St, Gerry Dollaghan from the Parade(is he still about the parish) and Pat McVeigh from Cregagh Estate
BTW Hat doffed and many thanks to olelad for being the driving force on here for SIX years!!!

welcome aboard m8. wot part of the parish did u live ? thanks for reminding me ive spent 6 long years on here ! :o i need me head looked at  :)

olelad

« Reply #768 on: October 17, 2012, 01:54:13 PM »
heres afew other guys who went to st anthonys which you may remember . pat frizzell,  micky kelly. eugene quickley. frankie hawkins. mark taylor.

bradbhoy

« Reply #769 on: October 17, 2012, 06:53:20 PM »

welcome aboard m8. wot part of the parish did u live ? thanks for reminding me ive spent 6 long years on here ! :o i need me head looked at  :)

Lived in Donard Street Ravenhill Road from 1946 until I got married in 1972 and moved to Glengormley.  Sort of frying pan and fire comes to mind and I ended up in Doncaster in 1977. The wife still has a few relatives about the Falls so I get back every now and then.

marty1953

« Reply #770 on: October 17, 2012, 06:54:12 PM »
Hi Bradbhoy,did you have a brother called Gerard ?and a sister called Patricia ,think you might know my brother- law jim tumelty?---------- Olelad you were saying about the last reunion and the pp.are you talking about the present incumbent ?

bradbhoy

« Reply #771 on: October 17, 2012, 07:14:42 PM »
heres afew other guys who went to st anthonys which you may remember . pat frizzell,  micky kelly. eugene quickley. frankie hawkins. mark taylor.
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]If that was for me, no sorry I don't remember any of them. there was a Kelly family that lived at the bottom of My Lady's Road but no Mickey. The mother Mary was widdowed and married Dessie Kearney from the Drive in later life. Moved away to Twinbrook I think.[/size]
[size=78%]Marty....No brothers or sisters i'm afraid. I had cousins from same address Mary and Johnny McGavock who went to the school 5 or6 years after me[/size]

marty1953

« Reply #772 on: October 17, 2012, 09:55:52 PM »
Hey jr56 heard a story,about the infamous vp from gusties,the story goes he's  driving along the knockbreda dual carriageway ,he spots four lads mitching,and scoopes  the said lads,two from lisnasharragh,one from gusties,and one from the tech ,frankie beggs,Robbie Gray ,can't  recall the other name,anyway the mad vp delivers,two lads in too l/ sharragh,where they are soundly beaten,was the other lad you?

olelad

« Reply #773 on: October 17, 2012, 10:48:52 PM »
Hi Bradbhoy,did you have a brother called Gerard ?and a sister called Patricia ,think you might know my brother- law jim tumelty?---------- Olelad you were saying about the last reunion and the pp.are you talking about the present incumbent ?

indeed i am. you ever meet him ?

marty1953

« Reply #774 on: October 17, 2012, 11:17:54 PM »
Hi olelad , I  have indeed  met the pp, saw an interesting article on goggle,re a court  case involving  him and parishioner  from  another parish,somebody left money too  the pp ,a niece  of the  deceased contested  the will and  it went too court,have  a look at the article if you get a chance

jr56

« Reply #775 on: October 17, 2012, 11:57:36 PM »
hey marty53 , yeah i remember that incident with hairy dan. .therwas also a day when rup gray and myself were on the hike and for some reason we went into gusties for rup to get his coat or something and hairy dan appeared from nowhere and gripped us both ! well i was havin none of it and tried to claim diplomatic status on the basis that i didnt attend gusties and therefore what business was it of his! ( still with me M,lud ) he held me with his left hand and caned rup with his right !  i tried to break free from him but he was too strong and ordered me to hold my hand out to be slapped. .i wouldnt do it and he threatened to call the cops at ladas drive as i was trespassing ! i told him to do whatever he thought best and we eyeballed each other for a couple of seconds and then he walted me across the shoulders with the cane and i managed to get away....when i was about twenty yards away and knew i could outrun him we went at it again verbally and i was shocked at the language he used and mine wasnt lizzies english either. .i was about 12 or 13 at the time and was shaking with anger and fear. .i know that if it had been two years later i would have got into him so im glad i wasnt 15 or 16. .i met him at a function about 3 years before he died and....youve guessed.....he was a decent man.
 hey olelad, i knew frankie hawkins when he was a kid....think they lived about cherryville st? he ended up lenadoon direction.....think i remember that his brother seamas was murdered by the british army

olelad

« Reply #776 on: October 18, 2012, 05:52:53 PM »
hey marty53 , yeah i remember that incident with hairy dan. .therwas also a day when rup gray and myself were on the hike and for some reason we went into gusties for rup to get his coat or something and hairy dan appeared from nowhere and gripped us both ! well i was havin none of it and tried to claim diplomatic status on the basis that i didnt attend gusties and therefore what business was it of his! ( still with me M,lud ) he held me with his left hand and caned rup with his right !  i tried to break free from him but he was too strong and ordered me to hold my hand out to be slapped. .i wouldnt do it and he threatened to call the cops at ladas drive as i was trespassing ! i told him to do whatever he thought best and we eyeballed each other for a couple of seconds and then he walted me across the shoulders with the cane and i managed to get away....when i was about twenty yards away and knew i could outrun him we went at it again verbally and i was shocked at the language he used and mine wasnt lizzies english either. .i was about 12 or 13 at the time and was shaking with anger and fear. .i know that if it had been two years later i would have got into him so im glad i wasnt 15 or 16. .i met him at a function about 3 years before he died and....youve guessed.....he was a decent man.
 hey olelad, i knew frankie hawkins when he was a kid....think they lived about cherryville st? he ended up lenadoon direction.....think i remember that his brother seamas was murdered by the british army

frankie must have been around your age ? only learned through here they went to lenadoon. never knew his brother rip. think it was omeath st they lived in. magees was another family from there who went to st anthonys.

olelad

« Reply #777 on: October 18, 2012, 05:54:49 PM »
Hi olelad , I  have indeed  met the pp, saw an interesting article on goggle,re a court  case involving  him and parishioner  from  another parish,somebody left money too  the pp ,a niece  of the  deceased contested  the will and  it went too court,have  a look at the article if you get a chance

sure i read about this afew years back in a sunday rag. guy came across as a fair enough chap but bloody useless for anything we was looking  :)

olelad

« Reply #778 on: October 19, 2012, 10:46:37 AM »
did u guys get much trouble with tartans up in castlereagh ? we was plagued with them on the woodstock as youd expect. every time you went out the door someone was looking to knock your b. .s in !

crossybelfast

« Reply #779 on: October 19, 2012, 11:07:50 AM »
they where a nightmare i think they used to hang about the ranch as it was known then it was the  ex-servicemens club, but smithfield on a saturday was worse. by the way jr56 ithink it was frankies brother rory that was murdered