Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 237277 times)

jr56

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #795 on: October 19, 2012, 10:54:23 PM »
Hey marty53 , crosseybelfast , and olelad. Yeah crossey i coulnt swear on the hawkins man maybe it was rory , though i think there was a seamas , and yer right olelad they did live in omeath street. yeah we had our troubles with the tartan too and also the " newton boys "
who hailed from the newtonards road !  two of the main " men " were a guy called victor docherty and some wee turd called aggie....we came across them in the grounds of orangefield school and just about got away one night there must have been 30 of them all with hachets and knives .brave boys !
 funny enough that yez mention the ranch.... i was in it one night and a tribe of them came in and were like a war party....mickey oneill fro the strand ( a hard wee nut who ran the place ) who usually stood up to them knew to close the place right away , running the gauntlet through them trying to get out onto the mongomery road two of them grabbed me and were just about to " start " when another one who i knew to nod to called them off and saved my bacon....he was a major player round that time ...his name was billy locke...ta billy. " i hear you knockin but you cant come in , i hear you knockin go back where you been " some memories there crossey!....remember goin to the oval and gettin lifted over , chips in templemore avenue after the match.

marty1953

« Reply #796 on: October 20, 2012, 11:13:31 AM »
Hi lads,was reading a book called"lost lives"Rory  Hawkins  was killed in Clyde. St outside the ex-service men's  club,he had served with the raf in Aden ,and was awarded a medal  for bravery,how ironic he was murdered  by the people he served with  honour,jr56 think that guy you mentioned was called tommy Locke ,yeah mickey O'Neill  was from the strand,non drinker,non smoker,lived in wynchurch road,he died about 2 years a go,a very nice man loved boxing,my older brother  Anthony  knew him,olelad never watched the glens at ladas dr,watched them at the oval for years,with jo Davidson, and jr 56 older brother.

olelad

« Reply #797 on: October 20, 2012, 03:10:01 PM »
anyone lnow the name of the street or ground which i was talking about ? seen afew good games down there. was at the oval and seen some great games there. for some reason we would come back viva beersbridge rd and stopped of at the sweet shop on the corner of that wee street just up from the rex ?
the ledley was another mob on the go at the time. seen them about but not any trouble from them. didnt know us  :) im trying my best to think of the name of some of that dromore st lot. but for the life of me i cant. tryed there best to kick 7 shades of [censored] out of us. thats the street danny boyd lived in. stewartie was a guy from up cregagh estate whod youd see on the rd. every street had its own wee gang some worst than others. afew would give you the light of day most a kicking.

crossybelfast

« Reply #798 on: October 20, 2012, 04:20:43 PM »
used to love goin to the oval,was at the famous benfica game which ended 1-1 and drew 0-0 in portugal which meant they went out on away goals. also the matches against the blues was like war zone before and after the games.getting back to the school, does anyone remember the wee sweet shop at the corner of willowfield i think we called it mrs shannons although i might be wrong,my memmorys starting to go

olelad

« Reply #799 on: October 20, 2012, 04:37:53 PM »
used to love goin to the oval,was at the famous benfica game which ended 1-1 and drew 0-0 in portugal which meant they went out on away goals. also the matches against the blues was like war zone before and after the games.getting back to the school, does anyone remember the wee sweet shop at the corner of willowfield i think we called it mrs shannons although i might be wrong,my memmorys starting to go

shannons it was m8. 
was you at the benifica game ? wot a night that woulf have been. seen them stuff the great leeds team in 71.  3-1 even as a friendly it was agreat night of football. when at the school reunion glentoran like on here was mentioned and afew of the guys still supported them. wot about you guys. my story is i did until the famous red army took to the rd late 70s.  been a north belfast lad it was all i could do  :) meet afew others from the east who i hadnt seen since been put out on the terraces. still go watch them from time 2 time.

marty1953

« Reply #800 on: October 20, 2012, 09:23:32 PM »
Yeah crossy was at the benfica game,what a night ,I. Spoke about it in an earlier  thread,someone.was telling me there a dozen or so people from the west,who used too travel over and watch the glens,probably  from the east,and still have a soft spot for the [censored] n hens.my son played at youth level for them,didn't  feel  he was made welcome,I  see now they fly the union flag  at every game,Why if they want to attract people from all communities ,it's  sends out the wrong message.maybe if the catholic people were still living in the east,the glens might not be almost bankrupt  :-\ 0

olelad

« Reply #801 on: October 20, 2012, 09:40:11 PM »
Yeah crossy was at the benfica game,what a night ,I. Spoke about it in an earlier  thread,someone.was telling me there a dozen or so people from the west,who used too travel over and watch the glens,probably  from the east,and still have a soft spot for the [censored] n hens.my son played at youth level for them,didn't  feel  he was made welcome,I  see now they fly the union flag  at every game,Why if they want to attract people from all communities ,it's  sends out the wrong message.maybe if the catholic people were still living in the east,the glens might not be almost bankrupt  :-\ 0

did u ever go watch the reds marty ?

olelad

« Reply #802 on: October 20, 2012, 09:57:55 PM »
you know the name gilliland has been mentioned afew times and i seem to remember the name and i think lived between willowfield and ravenhill ave ? ring any bells guys ?

crossybelfast

« Reply #803 on: October 20, 2012, 10:11:12 PM »
yes marty i know what you mean, i went to them when i was 16 and didnt feel wanted but that was back in 71 just before i had to flee the east. hi oled i know the name.did the micky oneill yous talk about ever live in jocylin ave ?

marty1953

« Reply #804 on: October 20, 2012, 10:32:18 PM »
yeah crossy,took a team in the south belfast league for years,and we played the glens on numerous occasions,well all i can say not nice people,in saying that we took another team,from thesame club,and  when we played the glens ,they were great,olelad never watched the reds,too much east belfast in me, ::)

bradbhoy

« Reply #805 on: October 21, 2012, 11:46:40 PM »
All these later posts reminds me of the years that I used to follow the Glens. I probably started going in the mid 50s and stopped about 68 or 69  We probably had a lot of our best players in that period although I'm not sure that we won a lot of trophies. Do any of you remember the likes of Walter Bruce, Alex Elder, Sammy Lowry, Sammy Hughes and the most awkward centre forward ever Trevor Thompson. Nicknamed the Glengormley Carthorse, he scored goals for fun and might have finished as the all time top scorer. Happy days :)

marty1953

« Reply #806 on: October 22, 2012, 10:33:42 AM »
hi bradbhoy,remember walter bruce. trevor "sadie" thompson,the detroit cougars,

Marcas

« Reply #807 on: October 22, 2012, 08:13:06 PM »
Really sorry to hear about Joe Davidson. We were at St Anthonys and Gusties together. Was a good footballer in his youth and scored loads of goals for one of the Ards teams. Worked at BT for many years and think he lived over the Saintfield Rd direction when he got married. I think that club mentioned was the Tab Club and Mickey O'Neill who did the door worked in the factory. Enjoyed many a night in Bernadettes disco. Was there the night the Cregagh Tartan came in. Greg Brown and the rest of them ! Anybody else there that night ?

olelad

« Reply #808 on: October 22, 2012, 09:18:47 PM »
yes marty i know what you mean, i went to them when i was 16 and didnt feel wanted but that was back in 71 just before i had to flee the east. hi oled i know the name.did the micky oneill yous talk about ever live in jocylin ave ?

there was an oneill living in joclin ave. think they moved stewartown rd ?

olelad

« Reply #809 on: October 22, 2012, 09:22:20 PM »
as for the glentorn debate. they had a top out alot of years back which was very close to the one they had in 60s/70s. white with the red/green/black bars in the middle. god i liked that top. thats were the liking ended. :)