Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 238036 times)

crossybelfast

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #810 on: October 22, 2012, 09:23:33 PM »
thank solead thought that . hi marcas wasnt at bernadettes that night,but i remember greg brown

marty1953

« Reply #811 on: October 22, 2012, 10:02:36 PM »
Hi marcas,never knew there was a tartan in the cregagh,i thought st bs had wound up before the local kkk,decided too make east belfast a W.A.S.P. paradise,as for greg brown ,he was a bit older than the rest of us,we where all 16/18, greg was about 20?,last time i saw him he was at the opening night of the  Hitchin Post,Stewartstown rd Twinbrook,he might have worked there for a while,his wife (cheryl) had an aunt who lived in t brook.

Marcas

« Reply #812 on: October 22, 2012, 10:03:32 PM »
A crowd of them came in and just walked around the hall. Rumour went round that they were going to attack the bouncers. To us the bouncers were just members of the parish and middle aged men and had no chance. Anyway it all kicked off and about 5 or 6 of them went for one particular guy. He was immaculately dressed, shirt, tie, jacket and looked in reasonable shape to us teenagers. He backed away until he was up against the wall and as they came charging in he started swinging. Never seen anything like it ! One punch and these guys were knocked out. A couple got up and went for him again with the same result. Dug the heads clean of these guys and they gave up. Must have known him cos Gerard Harvey who was there said " No more Mickey No more" and that was it sorted. The one and only Mickey O'Neill.

I ended up working with Mickey in 1979 and he remembered that night well. Said he put his back to the wall so nobody could get in behind him. Of course it helped that he was an ex boxer and tough as nails. Even in his sixties he would swing a punch messing about and double you in two.

Marcas

« Reply #813 on: October 22, 2012, 10:05:31 PM »
He was put out of East Belfast and was living in Twinbrook for safety. Loyalists shot him years ago

marty1953

« Reply #814 on: October 22, 2012, 10:10:30 PM »
hello marcas, was mickey o` neill shot? i know he died 2 years ago,never knew  the klan attacked him.

Marcas

« Reply #815 on: October 22, 2012, 10:13:04 PM »
No Greg Brown was shot. Mickey retired at 65 and heard he passed away a few yrs ago

olelad

« Reply #816 on: October 24, 2012, 10:45:25 PM »
Hi marcas,never knew there was a tartan in the cregagh,i thought st bs had wound up before the local kkk,decided too make east belfast a W.A.S.P. paradise,as for greg brown ,he was a bit older than the rest of us,we where all 16/18, greg was about 20?,last time i saw him he was at the opening night of the  Hitchin Post,Stewartstown rd Twinbrook,he might have worked there for a while,his wife (cheryl) had an aunt who lived in t brook.

plenty of tartans from the cregagh marty. we seen plenty coming down the rd heading to lower woodstock daily . the ledley came from beersbridge rd. 

jr56

« Reply #817 on: October 25, 2012, 12:23:13 AM »
yep olelad yer right , ledley hall was in lord street between the beersbridge and the newtonards road  .some badboys in there.

olelad

« Reply #818 on: October 25, 2012, 04:12:24 PM »
the ledley never give us any trouble cuz they never came that far up the rd. there was more than enough headbangers local for that. its bugging some of the names from that dromore st lot. i just cant remember any names. give us plenty of trouble. we knew alot about them cuz of that plus a cousin of one of them lived near me.

Rose8

« Reply #819 on: October 25, 2012, 04:28:40 PM »
Hey Olelad, bet your pleased this Forum has been red-hot for the last month!!!! :o   BUT where have all the girlies gone??  Nothing but footie and old memories from the guys. :(

Have you all thought how old and decrepid and perhaps wheel-chair and illness-bound most of those tartans will be now? ::) 
From ROSE :)
St Anthony's School story is at:  http://www.saintanthony.co.uk/page4.html

olelad

« Reply #820 on: October 25, 2012, 04:32:42 PM »
Hey Olelad, bet your pleased this Forum has been red-hot for the last month!!!! :o   BUT where have all the girlies gone??  Nothing but footie and old memories from the guys. :(

Have you all thought how old and decrepid and perhaps wheel-chair and illness-bound most of those tartans will be now? ::)

welcome back rose good 2 see you back posting.

Rose8

« Reply #821 on: October 25, 2012, 05:19:38 PM »
Yea, had quite a few personal hi's and low's this past year but have been following this thread with great interest!! 

Someone mentioned the Dolaghan's before.  Frank was involved in a lot of community projects, I believe, like marriage counselling.  His brother Gerard sadly died a number of years ago from ill-health.  They had a sister as well and I think she went to live in the South.

marty1953

« Reply #822 on: October 25, 2012, 05:58:54 PM »
Was father Stewart  pp when the chapel was attacked,during the lwc,strike,and did he and the other priest have too lock themselves in the parochial  house.

Rose8

« Reply #823 on: October 25, 2012, 06:13:58 PM »
Was father Stewart  pp when the chapel was attacked,during the lwc,strike,and did he and the other priest have too lock themselves in the parochial  house.
No it was Fr John Courtney, pp and Fr Jim Downey and yes, they locked themselves in a room and prayed while the tartans ransacked the rest of the house. They were trying to get into the room when the army arrived and they failed. 

Fr Stephen said a special Mass two weeks ago in memory of all the parishioners who had suffered during this time.   

Marcas

« Reply #824 on: October 25, 2012, 06:22:39 PM »
Frank Dologhan was living in Newry and doing some sort of community work for the Council. Saw his photo in the paper a few times and Miss Morton has retired to Killough. A name came up earlier that i had long forgotten, Bubbles McGlade ! A hanky ball player if ever there was one. Couldnt have got the ball off him in the back of a black taxi  :)