Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 239371 times)

jr56

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #840 on: October 28, 2012, 09:34:31 PM »
hey marty1953 , i certainly do remember cantrell and cochranes....over the gate of the presbyterian church , and then over the back fence of the church and you were then in the belly of the beast ! the wide field at the side of the factory. Two or three minutes crawlin across the field , stoppin , listenin , and waitin to hear the wakys dog and if ye made it to the delivery lorries ye could liberate a few flagons of cider and act the biglad drinking it!  .the barrackbusters of the sixties.ha ha.
   hey crossy, i vaguely remember a catholic family living down the clara street area but dont remember if their name was conlon , though i dont think there were ever many catholics down there.....any time we ever played in the wee playground down there we always got chased. .anybody remember toners bookies at the longs corner end of the castlereagh road?
 I dont remember the castle showing bedlam every saturday ! ha ha  .but will always remember darby o gill.

crossybelfast

« Reply #841 on: October 28, 2012, 09:40:09 PM »
very good jr56.the conlons lived at the very bottom next to the park im nearly sure.does anyone rememmber trying to get to school in 63 through the snow.wasnt worth your while cause the pipes where wlways frozen and your sent home,happy days

olelad

« Reply #842 on: October 28, 2012, 09:50:13 PM »
hey marty1953 , i certainly do remember cantrell and cochranes....over the gate of the presbyterian church , and then over the back fence of the church and you were then in the belly of the beast ! the wide field at the side of the factory. Two or three minutes crawlin across the field , stoppin , listenin , and waitin to hear the wakys dog and if ye made it to the delivery lorries ye could liberate a few flagons of cider and act the biglad drinking it!  .the barrackbusters of the sixties.ha ha.
   hey crossy, i vaguely remember a catholic family living down the clara street area but dont remember if their name was conlon , though i dont think there were ever many catholics down there.....any time we ever played in the wee playground down there we always got chased. .anybody remember toners bookies at the longs corner end of the castlereagh road?
 I dont remember the castle showing bedlam every saturday ! ha ha  .but will always remember darby o gill.

dont remember any catholic familys anywhere in that manor. we did go to that park every now and then and dont remember any trouble but it was a dodgy place. you know i cant rever remember ever going into the castle !

jr56

« Reply #843 on: October 28, 2012, 10:09:56 PM »
i remember gettin sent to dobsons dairies durin the 62-63 winter for milk with my older brother.....the milkmen,coalmen,breadmen etc couldnt get round ( the tickmen managed ) the snow was awesome and seemed to lie forever. I turned seven that winter ...will never forget it. Do you remember the milk freezin in the bottles in school and the slides we made in the schoolyard .

marty1953

« Reply #844 on: October 28, 2012, 10:43:17 PM »
Yes jr56'darby o'gill was dragged out when the castle cinema , couldn't  get punters in the door,and the description  of the winter of 62/63 is spot on,my late mother, and brother Anthony  went to Dobson's  dairies to get milk,we had a sleigh ,turned  out useless, the snow was overwhelming ,we had tried to get too the co-op bakery in ravenhill. Ave,not to be anyone recall the bakery.

jr56

« Reply #845 on: October 28, 2012, 11:31:18 PM »
hey marty1953 , cant remember a bakery in ravenhill ave but can remember the co-op dairy. i remember your Anthony , a spurs lovin teddyboy ! ha . :)

marty1953

« Reply #846 on: October 29, 2012, 10:24:48 AM »
yeah jr56, the bakery was beside the milk depot, my sister noreen worked in it and i think john  boyd also woked there,hope anthony doest see the teddyboy comment or the spurs bit.boxing was his sport,horse racing lol

olelad

« Reply #847 on: October 29, 2012, 03:17:24 PM »
talking about the castle anyone remember across the rd think on the corner of willowfield st a shop which sold just about everythink. the front windows was alway stacked with comics. one of many shops which would buy coins with certain dates on them.

marty1953

« Reply #848 on: October 29, 2012, 08:52:57 PM »
Hey jr 56, tried to send you a personal message ,re: jimmy young,can you cast your mind  back to a story concerning someone from the estate ,who went to "stay" with him for a week,think bunty might have had his lurky hand in it.oh here the co op bakery,there was a bread server  called bob who drove this miserable brown van , aka bob  the baker,nasty vain man,had an eye for the ladies,ring any bells.

jr56

« Reply #849 on: October 29, 2012, 11:33:04 PM »
hey olelad , thats some memory youve got heyboy...dunno where ye trawled that one from!  .nothin clicked with your post until you mentioned the coins , now i remember that shop....yeah a strange wee shop that one.
Hey marty1953 , somethings stirring in  the back of my napper about the incident your talking about but its so misty.....but now that youve revived it im bustin to hear it again ( your bro-in-law phil should have my moby number , so get it..gimme a txt or ring and we can chew the fat over that one ) not sure i remember bob the baker but i remember  " our jimmy " ! he always paid the paperboy at the front door with his wee shorty dressing gown lying open....nuff said.

marty1953

« Reply #850 on: October 30, 2012, 01:17:28 PM »
Hey olelad know what shop your talking about now,think i flogged my older brothers,LPs to him and various forms of foreign currency lol,he owned another shop at the corner or ravenhill ave,wish i would have kept the superman/batman comics.

olelad

« Reply #851 on: October 31, 2012, 06:41:53 PM »
great shop it was. there was another one on the same side of the rd not far up from ardgowen st. got afew bob from that one. maybe some kind soul will throw us some more info on both shops.

road hog

« Reply #852 on: November 01, 2012, 08:01:09 AM »
olelad, there was a shop in the block between Dromore St and the next Street down, I think the owners name was Davy. During the days of the firework ban Danny Boyle brought me into Davies, and we could have bought any firework you care to name.
Do you remember him?
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

olelad

« Reply #853 on: November 02, 2012, 09:44:42 PM »
olelad, there was a shop in the block between Dromore St and the next Street down, I think the owners name was Davy. During the days of the firework ban Danny Boyle brought me into Davies, and we could have bought any firework you care to name.
Do you remember him?

i dont m8, not at all. the only shop up there i remember well was the model shop across the rd.

jr56

« Reply #854 on: November 04, 2012, 04:15:48 PM »
i was over that way today  .drove down the castlereagh road and through loopland to the cregagh road. Massive new tescos on the road at loopland. Sad to see the apartments have appeared at the back of the chapel. Funny how small the whole area seems to be forty to fifty years after ye thought it was your whole world.