Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 239304 times)

road hog

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #870 on: November 08, 2012, 01:10:32 PM »
Marty, I knew Kate well. God love her she was a tortured soul. Drugs etc: I would think Noel hadnt an easy time with her, is he still around?
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

marty1953

« Reply #871 on: November 08, 2012, 01:36:41 PM »
Yeah road hog, Noel. Is livening  in t brook/ areema ,did kate have a brother called Freddie  he was murdered up un rush park in the seventies ,someone else died in the same attack,out doing a days work,some day the truth will come out about these murder gangs,in many ways the  catholic people were subjected  to murder,discrimination,no vote,just as the African /Americans where treated  in the deep  south.right have had my rant must go.

road hog

« Reply #872 on: November 08, 2012, 06:22:46 PM »
marty, Im not sure if Freddie was her brother,but I know she had a abrother in England, where she spent some time. I think thats where the drugs problem originated. Such a pity.

Marcas

« Reply #873 on: November 08, 2012, 10:38:54 PM »
Just another name from school days has popped into my head. John Hill from Mayfair Ave, think he went on to become a teacher. Dont no if the family managed to hold on up there or moved to pastures new in the 70's. What about Sunday Mass ? If it was Father Fullerton you were in and out in half an hour but if you miscalculated and Father Courtney was on then it was hours or so it seemed  :)

jr56

« Reply #874 on: November 08, 2012, 11:29:55 PM »
Kathleens brother John lives in twinbrook as well as noel , its true Kathleen didnt have agood life. One of the Hills that lived in mayfair was in my year at st ants...Kevin. Yer right about mass marcas...if father courtney was officiating it was like waiting on a release date.....by the time ye heard " the mass is ended "  ye needed another haircut. ::)

olelad

« Reply #875 on: November 11, 2012, 10:12:27 AM »
after leaving east belfast to settle wherever it was. how did you settle  in ?
 for me having stayed with relations in north belfast we moved to craigavon. rathmore estate and god was it a completly differant environment. no more looking over your shoulder each time you went out the door. been chased for your life. plus a newly build house with all that goes with it. the open spaces and the school was completly differant to that [censored] hole called gusties. with so many belfast folk living there you could keep up to date with what alot of old mates were doing living etc. in fact a guy from the markets who was in my class at gusties was one of the first people i ran into. still missed the old town but went down quite often as all my relations still lived down there. didnt miss the hassle of the east mind you.

marty1953

« Reply #876 on: November 11, 2012, 11:15:30 AM »
Re the Leonard's ,asked my better half who hails from the short strand(Vulcan  st/Thompson  st) Freddie  Leonard was not related to Kathleen ,tho it turns out he also had a sister of the same name.we moved to blacks road was tricky enough at times,our house backed on to a loyalist  estate and we got the back window  broken  4/5 times,then the executive  put wire grills on,the cassidys who lived facing blacks road where attacked on  a regular  basis ,the local kkk didt like the fact the cassidys where a large family and had four sons.but a part from that I spent a lot of my time in twinbrook,I had been in London  for  six mts and the family had moved to blacks rd,bit of a shock to see British  soldiers  out on the streets and how they  stopped,abused ,raided houses , all very different from anything I had known.

olelad

« Reply #877 on: November 11, 2012, 11:38:59 AM »
Re the Leonard's ,asked my better half who hails from the short strand(Vulcan  st/Thompson  st) Freddie  Leonard was not related to Kathleen ,tho it turns out he also had a sister of the same name.we moved to blacks road was tricky enough at times,our house backed on to a loyalist  estate and we got the back window  broken  4/5 times,then the executive  put wire grills on,the cassidys who lived facing blacks road where attacked on  a regular  basis ,the local kkk didt like the fact the cassidys where a large family and had four sons.but a part from that I spent a lot of my time in twinbrook,I had been in London  for  six mts and the family had moved to blacks rd,bit of a shock to see British  soldiers  out on the streets and how they  stopped,abused ,raided houses , all very different from anything I had known.

we could have moved to twinbrook. we was up looking at houses there. friend of me dad had moved there from donegal pass and had a house lined up facing a school as far as i remember. twinbrook had the same feel as the estates in craigavon back in the day. only nearer to belfast. plent from the parish moved to twinbrook thats for sure.

road hog

« Reply #878 on: November 11, 2012, 05:03:14 PM »
If you dont mind me asking marty, who is your wife. Send me a pm .

marty1953

« Reply #879 on: November 11, 2012, 11:57:43 PM »
Roadhog, this is Marty's wife Anne, can't believe this, memory lane, me growing up in Markets I can clearly see you all, Aunt Aggie Uncle Joe are precious to me and many family members, you and Margaret are on the list

road hog

« Reply #880 on: November 12, 2012, 04:08:16 PM »
Marty, I went to St Mattews with a boy from Clonduff drive named Gerard Kelly, did you know him. I cant say for sure if he went to gussies, my mind goes blank at times.

margaret rose maguire

« Reply #881 on: November 12, 2012, 09:03:16 PM »
Does anyone remember Margaret Wilson or Margaret Rose Maguire ? Attended St. Anthonys in 1950s .

jr56

« Reply #882 on: November 12, 2012, 11:23:16 PM »
Hey roadhog , i remember gerard kelly , marty 53 will too. They left clonduff and moved to twinbrook like so many others . i know that he became a firefighter and apparently took some sort of a breakdown as a result of what he witnessed doing his job. i think i heard that he died recently....heart attack i think. he had been living near lisburn.
 Hey margaret rose , whereabouts did you and margaret wilson live ?

marty1953

« Reply #883 on: November 13, 2012, 10:29:47 AM »
olelad did you know  gerry mc mahon who moved to c/avon

olelad

« Reply #884 on: November 13, 2012, 01:06:58 PM »
olelad did you know  gerry mc mahon who moved to c/avon

dont know gerry but knew paul. they lived across the rd from me for a while when they moved from the strand to the woodstock. moved to twinbrook from there.

bit of a long a long shot but there was aguy who went 2 gusties who lived in euston st near 2 were it meets ardgowen st. would have left st anthonys around 68 sure he moved to twinbrook. longest fair hair. ring any bells as i cant put a name to him !?