Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 241589 times)

marty1953

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #885 on: November 13, 2012, 02:29:53 PM »
yeah olelad they lived in ogilive st , near my sister,gerry is pauls older brother.was  in the same class as me in gusties,great footballer the mc mahons lived beside the oval and had to leave there also.the guy with the fair hair might be emmanuel collins

olelad

« Reply #886 on: November 13, 2012, 03:03:54 PM »
yeah olelad they lived in ogilive st , near my sister,gerry is pauls older brother.was  in the same class as me in gusties,great footballer the mc mahons lived beside the oval and had to leave there also.the guy with the fair hair might be emmanuel collins

not the collins. they lived in portallio st. brian was in same class as me. think they also moved to twinbrook. at times i think we was the only ones in the east who didnt move to twinbrook :D didnt realise the mchaons lived of the newtownards rd .

did u know any of the taylors who lived on the woodstock or the walls ?

marty1953

« Reply #887 on: November 13, 2012, 03:14:29 PM »
hi olelad ,the mc mahons lived in parkgate parade,the taylors lived on the woodstock rd,near oglive st,are you talking about alex wall?

olelad

« Reply #888 on: November 13, 2012, 03:18:36 PM »
hi olelad ,the mc mahons lived in parkgate parade,the taylors lived on the woodstock rd,near oglive st,are you talking about alex wall?

i am indeed m8. the taylors and walls lived on thev woodstock. i knew mark taylor and alex wall although not that well. both were older than me. taylors moved to bangor and god knows were after that. walls moved to co down.

jr56

« Reply #889 on: November 13, 2012, 04:02:54 PM »
alex wall was in my class in st ants.....the guy who lived in euston st direction might have been gerard braiden maybe.

olelad

« Reply #890 on: November 13, 2012, 04:55:13 PM »
alex wall was in my class in st ants.....the guy who lived in euston st direction might have been gerard braiden maybe.

jr only just dawned on me that the two of us was only 2 years apart at st anthonys.
as for this guy from euston st the only thing im sure of is that he lived there and there wasnt 2 many catholic familys which lived on the street. i think he was in the year above me which ment he would have been the year below you and i believe he moved to twinbrook. that name gerard braiden doesnt ring any bells do u know did he move to twinbrook if he did its probably the same guy.

Rose8

« Reply #891 on: November 13, 2012, 05:00:21 PM »
the guy who lived in euston st direction might have been gerard braiden maybe.
Did the Braidens not live in Willowfield Crescent?
From ROSE :)
St Anthony's School story is at:  http://www.saintanthony.co.uk/page4.html

Rose8

« Reply #892 on: November 13, 2012, 05:02:32 PM »
Does anyone remember Margaret Wilson or Margaret Rose Maguire ? Attended St. Anthonys in 1950s .
Hi Margaret Rose, do you remember Kathleen Howard, Colette Coulter, Eileen Williamson, Rosemary O'Connor (me) from the same era as yourself?? ??? ???

olelad

« Reply #893 on: November 13, 2012, 05:14:38 PM »

Did the Braidens not live in Willowfield Crescent?

the name is only just registering with me now. not sure wot st but think it was around the chapel. did some of them have anything to do with the chapel ? cant picture any of them at all.

the gunns was another catholic family i remember. jimmy was in the year below me. they lived of the cregagh rd.

problem some times is i can comvince meself i know something when in fact im well of the mark  :D

Marcas

« Reply #894 on: November 13, 2012, 05:17:25 PM »
I knew Gerry Kelly. He worked in the Tax Office for a while then joined the Fire Service. Dont know how long he was there or his reasons for leaving but he ended up working for Eagle Taxis in Andytown. Hadnt been driving that long when he was diagnosed with a brain tumour. Said he was going to keep on working as long as possible even though he knew it was terminal. Would have been in his early fifties and very sad.

Rose8

« Reply #895 on: November 13, 2012, 05:29:59 PM »

the name is only just registering with me now. not sure wot st but think it was around the chapel. did some of them have anything to do with the chapel ? cant picture any of them at all. the gunns was another catholic family i remember. jimmy was in the year below me. they lived of the cregagh rd.

problem some times is i can comvince meself i know something when in fact im well of the mark  :D

Yes, I went to school with Maureen Braiden and know she had brothers and they def lived in the Crescent.  I think her Dad was a trader in the market??  The Gunns also lived in Willowfield Crescent.  Mrs Gunn was ill for a long many years and died about 10 years ago but Mr Gunn (Paddy) is still alive, though in a nursing home.  One of the sons brings him to Mass some Sundays, but I don't know which son (think there were two).

Don't I know it T, the old memory ain't what it used to be (I wish I hadn't signed up for this old age now)  :( :(

Marcas

« Reply #896 on: November 13, 2012, 05:53:37 PM »
I just about remember Gerard Braiden but what i really do remember is that he had a gorgeous sister. The Walls got a bad time. The Loyalists broke in through the front door on the Woodstock and there was hand to hand fighting right through the house. From the hall to living room, the kitchen and ended up trapped in the yard. Thought they were all going to die when the police arrived at the last minute. They just abandoned the house, jumped in the car and drove towards the Kircubbin area. Found an empty cottage without elec and not even sure if there was running water and moved in. Family were traumatised for years afterward

road hog

« Reply #897 on: November 13, 2012, 06:07:11 PM »
olelad did you know  gerry mc mahon who moved to c/avon
Marty,although I lived in Lurgan, I used to see Gerry from time to time. Cracking footballer. I havent seen him in many years, may be hes left craigavon.
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

marty1953

« Reply #898 on: November 13, 2012, 06:29:25 PM »
Hi marcas,gerald braiden sister was called Patricia  she died 5/6 years ago,worked with her older sister in delorean,very sad about Gerry Kelly hadt seen him in years.road hog if you go on the st augustines forum you can view a great photo of Gerry at solitude when gusties won the schools cup.

olelad

« Reply #899 on: November 13, 2012, 06:44:56 PM »
I just about remember Gerard Braiden but what i really do remember is that he had a gorgeous sister. The Walls got a bad time. The Loyalists broke in through the front door on the Woodstock and there was hand to hand fighting right through the house. From the hall to living room, the kitchen and ended up trapped in the yard. Thought they were all going to die when the police arrived at the last minute. They just abandoned the house, jumped in the car and drove towards the Kircubbin area. Found an empty cottage without elec and not even sure if there was running water and moved in. Family were traumatised for years afterward

the walls hadnt long moved into that house as they lived up of the creagah rd . willowhomle gardens ? just b4 the ambassador. think alex may have knocked around with danny boyd for a while. think the taylors lived next door to them. the taylors sold carpets and may have opened a shop when they moved to bangor.