Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 244085 times)

olelad

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #900 on: November 13, 2012, 06:45:56 PM »
Marty,although I lived in Lurgan, I used to see Gerry from time to time. Cracking footballer. I havent seen him in many years, may be hes left craigavon.

still in craigavon as far as i know.

olelad

« Reply #901 on: November 13, 2012, 06:48:59 PM »

Don't I know it T, the old memory ain't what it used to be (I wish I hadn't signed up for this old age now)  :( :(

dont think were doing to bad as we keep coming up with so many differant memorys. life in the old dogs yet  :D

marty1953

« Reply #902 on: November 13, 2012, 09:34:06 PM »
Anybody remember jimmy Darby ,I. Remember  him always puffing his cheeks out and genuflecting ,where did he end up,also the famous barber jimmy burns.

olelad

« Reply #903 on: November 13, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
Anybody remember jimmy Darby ,I. Remember  him always puffing his cheeks out and genuflecting ,where did he end up,also the famous barber jimmy burns.

got me hair cut in  jimmy burns many a time and remember darby. jimmy was from short strand. not sure what became of either.

jr56

« Reply #904 on: November 13, 2012, 10:49:49 PM »
Rose is right about the braidens as gerard does have a sister called maureen. I was talking to maureens husband brian outside the busybee two days ago. The da was a market trader and so is gerard.  Patricia was a beautiful girl and a beautiful person she married a good bloke from the strand..Peter Stratton . always thought they lived around the portallo street direction.

Marcas

« Reply #905 on: November 13, 2012, 11:31:40 PM »
Confirmation night in St Anthonys almost 50 years ago. A cold dark night and the Chapel was badly lit at the best of times. But the mood was lifted when we blasted out Faith of Our Fathers ! We tried to take the roof of the place and i swear that my Uncle beside me grew 6 inches taller and a chest to match. Not politically correct to sing that now but good days

Rose8

« Reply #906 on: November 13, 2012, 11:43:02 PM »
Anybody remember jimmy Darby ,I. Remember  him always puffing his cheeks out and genuflecting ,where did he end up.
Yea, Jimmy Derby died a couple of years ago.  He lived in Willowfield Drive with a guy who I think dominated and bullied him in the end.  This guy was a bit nuts and barricaded the house windows and doors so no light got in.  The Eucharistic Ministers used to call with Jimmy on Sunday after mass to bring him communion when he was no longer able to walk and then this guy barred them and wouldn't let anybody in.  At Jimmy's funeral this guy told Fr. Stephen there was to be no singing.  BUT, what did the St Anthony's Choir do? - well, we sang all his favourite hymns.  Your guy could do nothing about it and just glared back at us!!!!!!!  Hope Jimmy had the last laugh. I know he was a bit odd but he was a tortured old soul in the end, RIP.
From ROSE :)
St Anthony's School story is at:  http://www.saintanthony.co.uk/page4.html

Rose8

« Reply #907 on: November 13, 2012, 11:46:30 PM »
Not politically correct to sing that now but good days
Interesting.  Why is it not PC to sing that hymn any more Marcas??
From ROSE :)
St Anthony's School story is at:  http://www.saintanthony.co.uk/page4.html

citybloke

« Reply #908 on: November 14, 2012, 01:08:57 PM »
Marcas - although I lived in St. Matthew's parish I made my Confirmation in St. Anthony's about 50 years ago - like you I can still remember the congregation sing 'Faith of our Fathers' at the end of the ceremony - it still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I think about it even after all these years.

Marcas

« Reply #909 on: November 14, 2012, 01:19:19 PM »
Yes Citybloke was rousing stuff alright. "In Spite of Dungeon, Fire and Sword". Just wasnt the same when i heard Bing Crosby sing it on You Tube. Anyway i havent heard it sung since. My kids and grandkids have never heard of it so maybe it was looked at as "divisive" and dropped as a hymn by the powers that be. Maybe someone out there can shine some light on the subject

olelad

« Reply #910 on: November 14, 2012, 01:30:17 PM »
a cracking hymn it is to.  i also remember it well. altogether now

olelad

« Reply #911 on: November 14, 2012, 01:33:14 PM »
jr do you remember the kellys, quikleys, taylors and rutherfords who all lived on the woodstock near oligive st ?

jr56

« Reply #912 on: November 14, 2012, 01:49:25 PM »
Hey olelad , i remember the kellys and the quigleys ...not sure about the rutherfords though the name soun ds familiar , dont remember the taylors. Do you remember people called McCartan who lived across the road from the chapel ( i think ) ?
    Does any one remember a family who lived lisnasharragh direction called massey ?

olelad

« Reply #913 on: November 14, 2012, 02:02:49 PM »
Hey olelad , i remember the kellys and the quigleys ...not sure about the rutherfords though the name soun ds familiar , dont remember the taylors. Do you remember people called McCartan who lived across the road from the chapel ( i think ) ?
    Does any one remember a family who lived lisnasharragh direction called massey ?

cant say i remember any mccartans. cant think of and catholics living on the main woodstock down that direction at all.

olelad

« Reply #914 on: November 14, 2012, 04:32:26 PM »
oligive st was one of the few streets were catholics hung about in decent numbers. some of the guys you might remember who knocked around there.

tony rutherford. colin donnelly. robert semple. micky hunniford. joe kelly. tom kelly RIP. neil mccorry RIP. kerian quigley. damien mcbride. anthony mcbride.