Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 248161 times)

marty1953

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #915 on: November 14, 2012, 04:33:44 PM »
Jr56,I  recall that name(Massey ) did he live near paul woods and tommy mc bride,I think the mc cartans your talking about lived beside the braiden s ,was one of the girls called Kay?,where they related to the mc cartans who lived in clonduff.very harrowing story re:the walls family,maybe some day someone will publish a detailed account of the Catholics ,from east Belfast .willie Frazer might be interested. :)

olelad

« Reply #916 on: November 14, 2012, 04:54:16 PM »
oligive st was one of the few streets were catholics hung about in decent numbers. some of the guys you might remember who knocked around there.

tony rutherford. colin donnelly. robert semple. micky hunniford. joe kelly. tom kelly RIP. neil mccorry RIP. kerian quigley. damien mcbride. anthony mcbride.

been chased and threatened by tartans and local street gangs which came our way was away of life after 69. handball games never got played to an end as you were sure to be attacked.

jr56

« Reply #917 on: November 14, 2012, 11:30:35 PM »
yeah marty1953 , i reckon the masseys lived round the corner from paul and margaret woods. .i think one of the mccartan girls was called Gabrielle though i dont know if they were related to the clonduff clan. .i was talking to mary fullerton a few weeks ago and she asked me about this thread ( i had told her about it previously ) and how to get on it.....it would be good to hear a lot more of st ants experiences from a girls perspective.Rose is a font but a lonestar. If we could tempt a couple of the girls to cast their minds back it would open it right up. .any interest from any of your sisters marty? :)

Lifesgood

« Reply #918 on: November 15, 2012, 04:20:15 AM »
 ;) Hi Jr56
 I remember the Joan & Mick McCartan, lived opposite St. A's - kids names - Peter, Brendan, Gabrielle, Oonah they had an older sister Deirdre who was a great friend of mine. 

olelad

« Reply #919 on: November 15, 2012, 05:44:16 PM »
;) Hi Jr56
 I remember the Joan & Mick McCartan, lived opposite St. A's - kids names - Peter, Brendan, Gabrielle, Oonah they had an older sister Deirdre who was a great friend of mine.

were did they move to ? across from the chapel was dr mellott

olelad

« Reply #920 on: November 15, 2012, 06:25:01 PM »
on a differant subject was the fact that so many owned there houses back in the day. came as a bit of a surprise tbh. must have been a real nightmare trying to sell up.

road hog

« Reply #921 on: November 15, 2012, 07:05:52 PM »
on a differant subject was the fact that so many owned there houses back in the day. came as a bit of a surprise tbh. must have been a real nightmare trying to sell up.
Olelad, back in the day, the housing executive would have bought the house from you, in exceptional circumstances this would have happened. I know a few people who got the run from Ballyhackamore who availed of this scheme
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

Lifesgood

« Reply #922 on: November 15, 2012, 08:57:03 PM »
Don't know where the McCartans moved too. They lived opp St A's in 1960 /61.  Deirdre married and moved to Lenadoon and sadly  i lost touch with her. Mick Maccartan was related to Macartan the bookies on the Falls road.

Lifesgood

« Reply #923 on: November 15, 2012, 09:36:07 PM »
Welcome to the forum Margaret Rose.  Hope you got my response.  Cheers. :)

jr56

« Reply #924 on: November 15, 2012, 10:52:30 PM »
i heard donkeys years ago that one of the McCartans had moved to lenadoon right enough and was married to or living with a guy called gogie who played in the wolfhoud  folk group....many a house the housing executive did nt buy and they were just either bricked up or more likely " occupied " for years and then a paltry compensation paid years later!
  Margaret Rose where did you hail from?

marty1953

« Reply #925 on: November 15, 2012, 11:12:28 PM »
Hey jr56,did the delaneys live near  paul woods,rem. two brothers and sister ,think the sister was called Patricia .olelad rem. the hunnifords well lived across the road  from  my sister,did Michael. Go to st malachys,my wife worked with his late sister,Geraldine rip,Michaels mother Molly was a lovely person despite been bedridden for years.

jr56

« Reply #926 on: November 15, 2012, 11:53:49 PM »
dont think i remember the delaneys marty...whatever happened maurice stewart who was a teenage friend of the late eamon meighan?

Lifesgood

« Reply #927 on: November 16, 2012, 07:35:18 AM »
Hey this forum is testing my memory for sure - I just remembered there was another MacCartan girl called Dolores.  Tks for confirming about Deirdre Jr56.  I recall her partner was in a band.  Does anyone remember the Murray's from Kilbroney Bend?  I think Phyllis moved to Australia? Love to contact both the girls.  :) 

olelad

« Reply #928 on: November 16, 2012, 01:52:12 PM »
Hey jr56,did the delaneys live near  paul woods,rem. two brothers and sister ,think the sister was called Patricia .olelad rem. the hunnifords well lived across the road  from  my sister,did Michael. Go to st malachys,my wife worked with his late sister,Geraldine rip,Michaels mother Molly was a lovely person despite been bedridden for years.

no micky went to gusties and in fact he posts on this forum so mick get posting again  :) knew geraldine rip she was a year older than me. she knocked around with peggy mccorry from ravenhill ave.

talking about woods anyone know the woods from cregagh estate ?

margaret rose maguire

« Reply #929 on: November 16, 2012, 07:36:00 PM »
Jr 56 .

I lived in Cregagh Estate .