Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 328436 times)

marty1953

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #930 on: November 16, 2012, 08:26:40 PM »
Hi lifesgood Robert  Murray  was in my class at gusties,very shy lad ,curly blond hair?did the mc envoy's live near the murrays

jr56

« Reply #931 on: November 16, 2012, 11:11:57 PM »
hey marty...re the delaneys...was one of the boys in the house called Graham ? Margaret Rose did you know maureen rooney or angela harvey ? did anybody know a cregagh guy called marty hume?

marty1953

« Reply #932 on: November 16, 2012, 11:38:34 PM »
Yeah jr56 one of the brothers was called Graeme ,think they lived near tommy mc bride,hey do you remember the Mormons  teaching us to play baseball lol, on the site of the Peter Robinson. Centre .

olelad

« Reply #933 on: November 17, 2012, 09:43:44 AM »
was those murrays related to the murrays who lived of ravenhill ave ?

Marcas

« Reply #934 on: November 17, 2012, 01:17:20 PM »
Harry Hart lining all the boys up in the school corridor. There were always one or two excuses, upset stomaches and stuff but for the rest of us it was the long march to Templemore Baths. What days ! The Cooler and changing boxes at the side of the pool and swimming classes. If you didnt have a towel or togs you could hire them out. No idea what those togs were made out of but once in the water it was like swimming with a breeze block tied round your waist. Maybe somebody will prove me wrong here but everybody in my class could swim and as far as i knew all the boys in the school around my time were swimmers. Was only when we moved out of the East and met so many people of my age group who couldnt swim. I thought it was the norm ! God Bless Harry Hart

olelad

« Reply #935 on: November 17, 2012, 05:31:38 PM »
Harry Hart lining all the boys up in the school corridor. There were always one or two excuses, upset stomaches and stuff but for the rest of us it was the long march to Templemore Baths. What days ! The Cooler and changing boxes at the side of the pool and swimming classes. If you didnt have a towel or togs you could hire them out. No idea what those togs were made out of but once in the water it was like swimming with a breeze block tied round your waist. Maybe somebody will prove me wrong here but everybody in my class could swim and as far as i knew all the boys in the school around my time were swimmers. Was only when we moved out of the East and met so many people of my age group who couldnt swim. I thought it was the norm ! God Bless Harry Hart

none swimmer here plus i knew afew other non swimmers in my class. you lot were made of harder stuff it seems  :D as for the late harry hart its all been said b4 a gentleman of the highest order. RIP. a privilege to have meet him at the reunion after all those years.

road hog

« Reply #936 on: November 17, 2012, 07:03:26 PM »

none swimmer here plus i knew afew other non swimmers in my class. you lot were made of harder stuff it seems  :D as for the late harry hart its all been said b4 a gentleman of the highest order. RIP. a privilege to have meet him at the reunion after all those years.
You see olelad, you "up market" people had a choice in those days, to swim, or not to swim. If you were reared where I was, then you had no choice but to swim. It was the only time we got a bath :D
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

olelad

« Reply #937 on: November 17, 2012, 10:33:58 PM »
You see olelad, you "up market" people had a choice in those days, to swim, or not to swim. If you were reared where I was, then you had no choice but to swim. It was the only time we got a bath :D

i do remember going to templemore baths and hating every min of it. didnt do me any good  :)

jr56

« Reply #938 on: November 18, 2012, 03:22:26 PM »
Hey marty1953 , yeah i know the delaney clan now ( it was trying to link them to st ants that threw me ) they used to live in tullyard way beside arlene boyce and then moved to carnamena , one of the houses that linked carnamena to the football pitch which is now the robinson centre. Do you remember the st ants soccer team playing there on saturday mornings ? the goalposts and nets were left in marks alley.....some of the team i remember were Joe Dowds , Pat Copeland , Kevin Maguire and Billy McAdorey.
  Great memories Marcas , the dander to templemore swimmers was like a day out.....i remember the swimming coach was a man with steel gray hair in a beebop style called Bobby Currie i think.

jr56

« Reply #939 on: November 19, 2012, 12:07:21 PM »
just remembered the mormons marty , yer right , that was a bit of craic ! only problem was when they followed it up and started coming to your door wanting to take you to the cinema....my ma and da chased them.
    Do you remember the sunday school classes on the grass beside th wee wooden school at the very top end of clonduff? ?
They held them outside in the summer and we used to go with Kenneth Stewart and always sat beside the Nesbitts from tullyard way. When they asked questions they threw bars of frys cream
or packs of munchies to those who knew the answers and believe me those Nesbitt kids knew the scriptures better than paisley ! Anybody remember st ants boys called Wildy....one of them ( maybe joe ) was in my class and another ( anthony ) was in my brothers class.

marty1953

« Reply #940 on: November 19, 2012, 12:59:06 PM »
yeah jr 56,the walk from st ants to the baths was great craic,it never seemed to rain great memories,didt know that was st ants football team thought it was clonduff star?,the mormons got chased by my ma as well,they called one day , and i sent them to ma meighan belam and uproar took place,i can just see it now, sadie with her holy medals pined on to her,and giving the young mormons what for lol.remember uncle jackies meetings and if you got two questions right,a bar of chocolate laned inyour hand.asked the sisters to put a comment on.

Marcas

« Reply #941 on: November 19, 2012, 03:23:45 PM »

Trying to put a photo on of Templmore Baths. My first attempt so dont no how it will go.

marty1953

« Reply #942 on: November 19, 2012, 03:52:40 PM »
great photo marcas,when was that taken,whats with the bunting?,did they have two pools or was that ormo baths ???

Marcas

« Reply #943 on: November 19, 2012, 06:44:11 PM »
Found the photo on another Forum thread. Have no idea when it was taken but dont remember the dolphins or the water as clean. You can actually see the tiles. I think Templmore is still operating as a leisure centre and one of the two original pools is still operating

olelad

« Reply #944 on: November 19, 2012, 09:46:26 PM »
Here is the class of 66 as I remember it at St Anthony's. and  what I know of them
Sean Duffy (me) schoolteacher
George Workman social worker
Eamonn Hughes P hd Univ. Lecturer
Keiran Lundy   Solicitor
Martin McN ally  Sales Rep.
jOHN mc Mahon (maxi) P hd  college lecturer
Maurice Brown  law -I think
Paul Kerr college lecturer
Paul Mc Glade (magic footballer) business man
FreD toland  British Army
John Martin British Army
John Rooney
Peter Rooney artist
? Diffin
Seamus Martin
Artie Reyhill
Tony Brennan
Manny Collins
John Wallace (deceased)
Eugene Quigley
Frankie Hawkins
Michael Kelly
Colin Ramsey
Jimmy Meighan
Gerard Cullen
   so many more- but memory is fallible. Hope people recognise a few names and it evokes a few memories.

can anyone add any names or remember any of this lot

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy