Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 239340 times)

bjay

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #1080 on: August 09, 2013, 08:43:40 PM »
Geoff,     Ravenhill Rd. was my stomping ground as a child so I went to school there - first St. Joseph's primary ( now St.Michael's which has replaced St. Anthony's as the East Belfast local primary school to a large extent) and then Rosario facing Cherryvale . However.  I chummed about with Gerard Braiden from Willowfield Crescent . He maybe was in your year?   I had loads of friends who went  St. Anthony's.
[size=78%] Young Kipper Kerr, the younger brother of Robert, was a contemporary at St. Augustines.[/size]

Geoff Watters

« Reply #1081 on: August 09, 2013, 10:00:24 PM »
I remember Gerard Braiden, specifically when -- must have been 1960 -- he asked me in the playground if I liked Kennedy or Nixon. Never having heard of either I answered Nixon and was rewarded with a punch in the guts. I think my sister Caroline might have bumped into him in Edinburgh in the seventies -- is that possible? Are you still in Belfast?  Did you know any McCartans? They lived directly opposite the chapel on Woodstock Road.

bjay

« Reply #1082 on: August 11, 2013, 08:40:03 AM »
Geoff,         McCartans lived at no.306  .  Suspect they left early 70's.  Braiden's went west.   Met Gerard at a funeral over 10 years ago.  I believe he lives in west Belfast still.   Don't see many folk from east Belfast much these day, occasionally one of the Fitzpatrick's who used to live in Ravenhill Gardens many years ago.

marty1953

« Reply #1083 on: August 13, 2013, 01:30:47 PM »
good to see,so many catholics going  to state schools,after what happened to us in the east,yeah still have a soft spot for east belfast,talking to a fella from ballyhackamore hated his time there,and very bitter ,about the treatment melted out to him.

bjay

« Reply #1084 on: August 13, 2013, 09:00:38 PM »
 Ballyhackamore folk had a rough time.  There was a GAA club there until the 70's but it had to fold.  Some members went on to form Bredagh.  Nowadays it is a thriving club with as many as 300 young folk training in Cherryvale some Sundays.  It is an ill wind.

olelad

« Reply #1085 on: August 18, 2013, 07:25:06 PM »
good to see,so many catholics going  to state schools,after what happened to us in the east,yeah still have a soft spot for east belfast,talking to a fella from ballyhackamore hated his time there,and very bitter ,about the treatment melted out to him.

few of the guys who was at the reunion now live up in that area. never knew anyone who lived up there tbh.

marty1953

« Reply #1086 on: August 18, 2013, 09:21:52 PM »
No have too admit,didnt  know anybody from there,this person went  to St Malachys and is a partner in a law firm,took a few kicking s ,was amazed that I had fond memories of the east

bjay

« Reply #1087 on: August 19, 2013, 07:47:37 PM »
Ballyhack GAA played at Dundonald - the locals kept chopping their goalposts down.!!!    Some good sportsmen came from the area.  Mario and Tonino Crawford were at Gusties, Mario in the team that won the schools cup about ' 69.  Peter Shields played for Cliftonville, if I am not mistaken.

marty1953

« Reply #1088 on: August 19, 2013, 09:39:02 PM »
Think it was martin shields ,was it eddie Conor  played for  c/ ville?

olelad

« Reply #1089 on: August 19, 2013, 09:40:44 PM »
how big an area is ballyhack ? were does it cover overall ? only been up at the chapel a couple of times. :-\

marty1953

« Reply #1090 on: August 19, 2013, 10:07:04 PM »
Just beyond the Hollywood Arches via the upper N/ards rd,past the Sandown rd,some people  class b/hack  right up to d/Donald village.

olelad

« Reply #1091 on: August 19, 2013, 10:10:15 PM »
Just beyond the Hollywood Arches via the upper N/ards rd,past the Sandown rd,some people  class b/hack  right up to d/Donald village.

cheers marty. big enough area.

bjay

« Reply #1092 on: August 20, 2013, 09:12:52 PM »
Martin Shields was an Ormeau Rd. man, a stalwart of Rosario football club,which once featured a young Martin O'Neill.  Eddie Connor lived in Walmer Street, Ormeau Road, (as did a young Brian Kennedy).
Peter Shields was a Ballyhack guy, a couple of years younger than the boys that won the schools cup..
Kieron Dowd the PE teacher got a number of 'Gusties boys training and playing with Cliftonville.

marty1953

« Reply #1093 on: August 20, 2013, 09:38:24 PM »
Know martin well,was in my class at gusties,hadn't see him in years then our paths crossed when he was manager at Rosario( our  rivals) and I was with Aquinas .cant recall Peter shields ,they beat ash field at solitude ,you can go back on the site ,great pic of the team

marty1953

« Reply #1094 on: August 20, 2013, 09:39:51 PM »
Sorry the pic is on st augustines. Site