Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 248145 times)

marty1953

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #1095 on: August 20, 2013, 10:04:33 PM »
Hi bjay go to page 13 on the gusties. Site..team was Boyle,doran,Erne,o; Connell .cathcart.mc garrigle,McMahon,millen,Crawford,Connor,cardwell ,des Brennan

bjay

« Reply #1096 on: August 21, 2013, 05:03:14 PM »
I recall most of the players - Boyle from the Strand , Dornan and Millen from the Markets, Erne from Annadale, McGarrigle and Connor from Ormeau Road, Brennan from Lisburn Road , Crawford from Ballyhack,
McMahon from Parkgate.  Think Cardwell was from that part of town as well.

marty1953

« Reply #1097 on: August 21, 2013, 05:37:05 PM »
Jamesy cardwell was from Sydenham,one of the finest footballers I ever seen

bjay

« Reply #1098 on: August 21, 2013, 07:29:18 PM »
Marty,
Wonder where Jamesie is now? 
Forgot to mention Martin Shields in my last post. Never knew O' Connell and Cathcart, to the best of my memory, which isn't great at my age. I ain't that young anymore.   Where were they from?

Herbie O'Reilly the geography teacher in Gustie's had a nephew at St. Malachy's. Martin O'Neill had just moved to Belfast from Kilrea and was looking for a club in the city to play for.  He was pointed in the direction of Rosario by Herbie's nephew, an Ormeau Rd. man,  and the rest is history.

marty1953

« Reply #1099 on: August 21, 2013, 09:28:01 PM »
Cathcart was from the Braniel in east belfast,not sure about  O' Connell ,the Cathcarts  moved to. Twinbrook

olelad

« Reply #1100 on: September 12, 2013, 06:54:23 PM »
was up the old parish the other day. while my daughter went about her business i went for a dander down daddy winkers lane castlereagh rd and back along loopland. not that far or long but brought back a load of memorys. heres one for yous on the castlereagh rd just at the bridge there was a scrap yard there down the wee lane. a hells angels club house stands there now. anyone remember the scrap yard and who ran it. it was there late 60s early 70s.

marty1953

« Reply #1101 on: September 12, 2013, 11:05:03 PM »
Lived in clonduff dr,did you walk  from daddywinnkers lane from the Cregagh rd end to ladas dr end,can't recall any scrapyard Malone  rugby club in the middle,the playground beside Malone

olelad

« Reply #1102 on: September 13, 2013, 12:42:10 AM »
Lived in clonduff dr,did you walk  from daddywinnkers lane from the Cregagh rd end to ladas dr end,can't recall any scrapyard Malone  rugby club in the middle,the playground beside Malone

funny enough marty i parked in the lane. yes i went down the lane the pk has gone. how many times i went there and played. i remember the flats been build plus malone rugby club setting there. we all went to a open day when they opened the club house. went down ladas dr and remembered the times we went down there to watch glentoran 2nds. then turned down castlereagh rd. at the bridge is the hells angles club house. thats were the scrap yard was.

marty1953

« Reply #1103 on: September 13, 2013, 10:24:14 AM »
Hi olelad,was that scrapyard on the castlereagh rd,on the same side as  the big printing firm  Mc Gaw Stevenson& Orr,there is a large Tescos  store on site now

marty1953

« Reply #1104 on: September 13, 2013, 10:34:53 AM »
Hi Olelad am over in the east nearly every other week,recall the park well,getting chased by the tartan,went to Malone  a few times..live bands,and a disco....but got really rough,my daughter lives at the top of the Ormeau rd was over watching the Ireland  game in the parador,also a great Indian restaurant ,facing the psni station,the errigal inn,the big house (pavilion ) .see  some guys who went to gusties

olelad

« Reply #1105 on: September 13, 2013, 10:43:36 AM »
Hi olelad,was that scrapyard on the castlereagh rd,on the same side as  the big printing firm  Mc Gaw Stevenson& Orr,there is a large Tescos  store on site now
[/quote

no marty it wasnt same side as tesco. the scrap yard was right beside the stream at daddy winkers. theres a wee bridge on the rd. the lane down to the yard ran from there. theres a hells angle club house there now m8. next time your up have a butchers.]

bjay

« Reply #1106 on: September 13, 2013, 08:16:07 PM »
Marty,  do you recall the funfair down Daddy Winnker's Lane in the field opposite Malone.   Came around Halloween every year   dodgems, ,tombola, candy floss etc.?

marty1953

« Reply #1107 on: September 13, 2013, 08:32:29 PM »
Yeah, there's  a club built there now,think its a cricket club,small bar,but very good,what  I remember better was the Bazaar in St Anthony's  Parochial hall at Christmas

marty1953

« Reply #1108 on: September 13, 2013, 08:36:58 PM »
Never fails too  amaze me even tho we were burnt out,shot at,people murdered,a lot of people have fond memories of the east

ronniecarleton

« Reply #1109 on: September 14, 2013, 05:34:20 PM »
Right oh folks. It was nice to see the photographs of harry hart and Miss Kennedy the only two teachers from 1945 to the mid 50's
and I lived in number 9 Willowfield Drive ten yards from the school. I have still to know something about my father who no doubt is playing a harp somewhere seeing I am 72 now. So if anyone out there has any news of my father, his name was James or Jim Carleton and though he worked on the railways he lived in the Ballymena area and Belfast. I was born on the 5th of January 1941
and went to St Anthonys. Now about the school.Now not good memories of any sort except for the two fine teachers I mentioned above.  I lived with my grandmother Kilgannon in Willowfield and she was a mother to me.
For some reason I still do not know about I did not have any education at that school except for art and religion, the religion beaten into me by Miss McCarthy, Mr McManus the head master,  later Mr MaHall who was headteacher who used a leather strap and was brutal with it. In the end I stole that strap and threw it onto to the flat roof above the girls class room. So my education at that school was washing the boys toilets, picking crusts out of the play yard and taking them in a bucket to the local convent for the nuns hens, taking milk in bottles around the class rooms for students and in winter, stoaking the boiler with coke and under ground. When I left at 14 I was handed a blue card to say i had reached 7th Standard which was a lie of course because I could not read, write or do any form of maths. I knew meli, and the smiths, duffy, the Morgan brothers who I liked.
Though retied I have studied Forensic Anthopology in the past and archaeology as well as being a wildlife officer. So all in all by education started when I left school  ::)