Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 237408 times)

Rose8

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #1155 on: April 21, 2014, 11:26:47 AM »
rose. yous was in fine tune alright  :) . enjoyed the service. well done you all.
Aww thanks Tony, was only told at rehearsal on Saturday night that I'd be doing the first reading!!! Didnt sleep a wink, especially when my best friend texted me that the Sunday Service had 55,000 listeners. :o :o  Glad you were able to listen in.
From ROSE :)
St Anthony's School story is at:  http://www.saintanthony.co.uk/page4.html

olelad

« Reply #1156 on: April 21, 2014, 12:45:56 PM »
Aww thanks Tony, was only told at rehearsal on Saturday night that I'd be doing the first reading!!! Didnt sleep a wink, especially when my best friend texted me that the Sunday Service had 55,000 listeners. :o :o  Glad you were able to listen in.

nice one rose. was there many at the service ?  55.ooo listeners ! your all famous now ;) :dance:

thebell

« Reply #1157 on: April 26, 2014, 10:48:51 AM »
ah pigs might fly mate, but if I do ill let you know. heard the Easter service on iplayer. good ole chanters in the choir. dowidzenia.

was talking to joe yesterday m8. any word on u getting over for afew beers ?? :)

olelad

« Reply #1158 on: April 26, 2014, 05:38:30 PM »

i seem to remember your good self giving a rant or 2 around the place  :D

Charlie bloomer

« Reply #1159 on: April 28, 2014, 10:09:39 PM »
Hi all
Would anyone remember Philip Kelly he lived in ardpatrick gardens castle reach road attended st Anthony's 1951 to 1959 then went to st malachys college and then went to craigavan university.
Think he went into teaching and worked in Edinburgh
Hope someone will remember him
Regards charlie bloomer

Rose8

« Reply #1160 on: April 29, 2014, 12:35:15 AM »
Hi all
Would anyone remember Philip Kelly he lived in ardpatrick gardens castle reach road attended st Anthony's 1951 to 1959 then went to st malachys college and then went to craigavan university.
Think he went into teaching and worked in Edinburgh
Hope someone will remember him
Regards charlie bloomer
I remember a Gregory Kelly lived at Ardpatrick Gardens, sister called Jennifer, both went to St A's?  ???

Charlie bloomer

« Reply #1161 on: April 29, 2014, 12:43:29 AM »
Hi
That's correct I also new Gregory he became a social worker.
Is he still alive ? Wonder where did Philip go
Regards
Charlie bloomer

Charlie bloomer

« Reply #1162 on: April 29, 2014, 12:53:49 AM »
Hi rose
Im a reader in st Patricks church trim co. Meath.
Did the reading on Easter Sunday.
Father Fullerton and father Courtney would be proud of me former altar boy in st. Anthony's
Willowfield

Rose8

« Reply #1163 on: April 29, 2014, 01:01:43 AM »
Gregory was a lecturer at Queen's University but didnt know Philip. Jennifer lived in Oldham, Lancs and was Matron in a hospital there.

Well done you, Charlie.  You might have seen an earlier post from me that I also did the reading on Easter Sunday for the mass in St Anthony's which was broadcast on Radio Ulster!! Wooooooooooo! We must have learned something then at the ole school ::) ::)

Charlie bloomer

« Reply #1164 on: April 29, 2014, 01:10:43 AM »
We'll done rose
The last time I visited st Anthony's was 1998.
I was reared in loop land road.
Had to leave in 71 ended up in Grimsby
Eventually returned to Ireland in 1983 and married a dublin girl.
Regards
Charliebloomer

Hughf

« Reply #1165 on: April 30, 2014, 04:24:57 PM »
 Very sorry to hear Geordie gent died in 2004 RIP .
He was my best friend throughout the fifties the last time I seen Geordie was at his brother roys funeral in 1981
I sometimes wonder how Patricia gent Marie gent and Brian gent are getting on
Charlie (fonsie) bloomer      I remember Brian Gent - Hugh Fullerton

Hughf

« Reply #1166 on: April 30, 2014, 04:26:16 PM »
Very sorry to hear Geordie gent died in 2004 RIP .
He was my best friend throughout the fifties the last time I seen Geordie was at his brother roys funeral in 1981
I sometimes wonder how Patricia gent Marie gent and Brian gent are getting on
Charlie (fonsie) bloomer

I remember Brian Gent

Hugh Fullerton

Hughf

« Reply #1167 on: April 30, 2014, 04:37:34 PM »
I remember Gerard Braiden, specifically when -- must have been 1960 -- he asked me in the playground if I liked Kennedy or Nixon. Never having heard of either I answered Nixon and was rewarded with a punch in the guts. I think my sister Caroline might have bumped into him in Edinburgh in the seventies -- is that possible? Are you still in Belfast?  Did you know any McCartans? They lived directly opposite the chapel on Woodstock Road.

is that the Geoff Watters who sat the eleven plus aged about 8 ??

Hughf

« Reply #1168 on: April 30, 2014, 04:47:55 PM »
That might be me . . . I was at St Anthony's from 1958 to 1963 and left at the ripe old age of 8 to go to St Malachy's.  I'm Geoffrey Watters and we lived at 70 Willowfield Gardens, across from St Anthony's. All five of us went to primary school there -- Margaret, John, me, Eamonn and Caroline. My sisters both remember Sister Bernadina as a bitch on wheels. I only remember her screaming at me one time when I went round to the girls' playground to retrieve a ball that had gone over the wall. Once was enough.
A big Thank You to olelad for keeping this thread going for so long.  I stumbled across it a few days ago and the memories it has brought back are priceless. I recognize quite a few names and all the places. We were told to leave in October 1972. My dad Gerry and Eamonn, then 15, packed what they could into the car and got out before being burned out. I was already away in London at university and missed all the fun. Apparently some gunmen burst into a neighbour's house and shot it up one Saturday night. They moved out the next morning, Dad and Eamonn the day after. Our Protestant neighbours just watched and said nothing. We had always been friendly with them all, but that didn't matter any more. I didn't go back to Belfast for about 10 years and have visited only a few times since.
I was at St Malachy's till 1971. I did my O-levels at 13 and they made me do them again at 14 to kill time since I couldn't have gone to college at 15 anyway. Then I took A-levels at 16. Still too young, so I went to Methody for a year and took them again. Finally got into King's College London at 17 where I got a degree in French and Latin, not exactly off the rails I hope! I was at Methody in Jan 1972 when Bloody Sunday happened and I remember the stony silence at school the day after (I was one of only three fenians in the place at the time). But at least the Methody uniform might have saved me a few kickings on the Woodstock Road that year.
I remember walking home from the city centre one night in 1972 (no buses because of a curfew) and finding a barricade of cars across Woodstock Road at My Lady's Road. East Belfast was a no-go area. One of the cars was my da's! The proud defenders of Ulster's freedom had taken it off him at gunpoint earlier that evening. They found a rosary in the glove compartment and had painted 'taig car' along one side of the car. I was standing there looking at it when my dad came along and suggested we just go home. Good advice! The surprise outcome was that a cop from the Willowfield Barracks recovered the car and had it cleaned up and returned intact.
That reminds me of the Kerrs who had the fish shop a few yards away from where that barricade was. I've seen a few mentions earlier, thought I'd add my memory of doing judo with Bobby at a youth club up the Shankill Road. I would have been too scared to go there on my own but I would have fancied my chances against all comers if I was on his team. He skipped a couple of belts and scared the crap out of the hard men up there. I think he went a bit too far when he threw a black belt off the mat when the guy was trying to demonstrate some move or other. Never dared to call him Kipper myself. His dad was the best singer in the chapel too, all the other male voices kind of faded out when he started to sing.
So I was born in 1954 and left in 1972, but the place has never left me in spite of the bitterness at being kicked out for no reason other than being Catholic. I never really realised how common that experience was in East Belfast, always thought the people of the Falls and Ardoyne had the worst of it. Glad to see the spirit in these pages is so positive, and hope to see many more posts in the future!
By the way that swimming teacher at Templemore Avenue was Aaron Currie.
And I just had the thought that many of the posters here probably sat in the same pew waiting to make their confessions on some Saturday morning forty odd years ago!

It is Geoff Watters :)

JJ48

« Reply #1169 on: May 01, 2014, 02:48:29 PM »
Geof Watters - some names you might remember from when you were 8: Brophy, Curran, Duncan, Flanagan, Gormley, McElroy, McWilliams, Meyers, Morris, Morgan, Mullen, Regan, O'Toole, Wilson, Osborne, Nichol, Vance, Leonard, McClean?