Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 235864 times)

olelad

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #1395 on: November 14, 2018, 06:07:13 AM »
Olelad,canít recall when I last watched an Irish League game.
Try too watch my Junior club on a Saturday.
Still like the Glens,after all those yrs away from the East,donít know why,but there you go.

marty good to hear from you. I followed the glens up until the birth of the reds late 70s. since then im a reds man. lol. well that's where im from north Belfast. do you fancy trying agame next Tuesday night  ??? let me know if so ill meet you b4 the game.  we play dungannon in the quarter final of the league cup that night.

GandT

« Reply #1396 on: November 14, 2018, 12:03:14 PM »
Olelad,canít recall when I last watched an Irish League game.
Try too watch my Junior club on a Saturday.
Still like the Glens,after all those yrs away from the East,donít know why,but there you go.

Not from St Anthony's but went there often in the days of Father Courtney if anyone remembers him. Loved walking to it from Short Strand area on cold and clear Christmas mornings! I am exactly the same as you, Marty. No logical reason for me to watch the Glens' results or favour them in some matches but I do! Harry Bond, Trevor Thompson, Sammy Hughes, Walter Bruce and John Colrain just to mention a few. And, here was another luxury, in them days - if the Glens weren't doing well you could always switch code and support Down in the GAA matches - Dan McCartan, James McCartan, Paddy Doherty, Sean O'Neill - them was the days!

olelad

« Reply #1397 on: November 14, 2018, 04:00:14 PM »
Not from St Anthony's but went there often in the days of Father Courtney if anyone remembers him. Loved walking to it from Short Strand area on cold and clear Christmas mornings! I am exactly the same as you, Marty. No logical reason for me to watch the Glens' results or favour them in some matches but I do! Harry Bond, Trevor Thompson, Sammy Hughes, Walter Bruce and John Colrain just to mention a few. And, here was another luxury, in them days - if the Glens weren't doing well you could always switch code and support Down in the GAA matches - Dan McCartan, James McCartan, Paddy Doherty, Sean O'Neill - them was the days!

hi grandt. why don't you go to the reds game next Tuesday night as well.  you might become a fan.  :) from what I hear these days those in the strand follow antrim in the gaa.

GandT

« Reply #1398 on: November 14, 2018, 08:37:27 PM »
hi grandt. why don't you go to the reds game next Tuesday night as well.  you might become a fan.  :) from what I hear these days those in the strand follow antrim in the gaa.

That must require only a short attention span and a very reasonable expenditure on tickets each year! :D Last game I saw the Reds in was the Irish Cup Final game against Portadown in the 1970s. Reds won. I came home with a tense, nervous headache and a feeling that I was one of the few who tried to watch the players on the field. Actually, good game, shame about the hatred!!

olelad

« Reply #1399 on: November 15, 2018, 03:15:44 PM »
That must require only a short attention span and a very reasonable expenditure on tickets each year! :D Last game I saw the Reds in was the Irish Cup Final game against Portadown in the 1970s. Reds won. I came home with a tense, nervous headache and a feeling that I was one of the few who tried to watch the players on the field. Actually, good game, shame about the hatred!!

wasn't at that game. listened to it on the radio. yes plenty of trouble at that game. seen plenty of trouble at games down the years. thankfully those days are long gone. you up for the dungannon game Tuesday night ?????

marty1953

« Reply #1400 on: November 16, 2018, 06:43:25 PM »
Hello GrandT..the Short Strand,is in County Down,that crazy Everton fan is winding you up. :)
Yes indeed,have watched An Dun,as often as I can in the Summertime,saw them in Ulster Final vTyrone..not good.
Better days ahead possibly with Paddy Tally at the helm.
The Market is Co Antrim,know lots who support An Dun.
5 All Irelandís ,nearly another in 2010..always think if Ambrose Rodgers a fit Ambrose Rodgers had played ,could have been six.
Olelad ,the Oval would still be my port of call...if I ever went to watch Irish League footballers.

olelad

« Reply #1401 on: November 16, 2018, 10:58:43 PM »
no problems marty. just letting you know we beat the glens the other week 1 v 0  :D up tyrone :)

marty1953

« Reply #1402 on: November 17, 2018, 10:36:12 AM »
Any plans too update Solitude.
Was up watching Aquinas in a final,what a dump,The toilet facilities hadnít changed,since I watched the Glens there in the sixties.
TBF the Oval not much better.
Was talking too Martin Shields last week,he was in my class in Gusties.
Heís thinking of having a reunion,for the team that won the schools cup.
Jimmy Millen is now caretaker in Aquinas,almost 50 yrs from attending,when it was St Augustineís.
Would you know any of the lads who played in that team?.
PS,An Dun still more  All Irelandís than Tyrone and Armagh put together  ;) :) :D

olelad

« Reply #1403 on: November 17, 2018, 04:11:23 PM »
sorry m8 don't know any of the lads in that team. solitude is 100 times better than the oval. it was done up years ago. the oval is one of the worst grounds in the league. as for down. not in the same league as tyrone.  

olelad

« Reply #1404 on: November 22, 2018, 07:51:03 PM »
. what a crap night Tuesday was. beat on pens. freezing it was. terrible game it was.

marty1953

« Reply #1405 on: November 23, 2018, 11:10:08 AM »
Just saw that pic of Harry Hart,what a lovely man he was.
Somebody put a pic of school GAA team ,1953 it was.
Very clear pic,HH looked so young and well.
Think he had them in the saffron of Antrim,even tho St Anthonyís is in Co Down.
Antrim had won Ulster,2yrs previously.
An Dun ,hadnít won an Ulster up until then.
That was all too change.

olelad

« Reply #1406 on: November 23, 2018, 04:08:30 PM »
Just saw that pic of Harry Hart,what a lovely man he was.
Somebody put a pic of school GAA team ,1953 it was.
Very clear pic,HH looked so young and well.
Think he had them in the saffron of Antrim,even tho St Anthonyís is in Co Down.
Antrim had won Ulster,2yrs previously.
An Dun ,hadnít won an Ulster up until then.
That was all too change.

where did u see it marty ??  after all those years away from the school we meet harry once again at the reunion. great guy. best teacher I ever had.

marty1953

« Reply #1407 on: November 23, 2018, 06:19:29 PM »
The School Team pic..?
Think it was on Twitter...will try and put it up.

olelad

« Reply #1408 on: November 24, 2018, 09:48:43 PM »
The School Team pic..?
Think it was on Twitter...will try and put it up.

yeah the picture with harry in it.

marty1953

« Reply #1409 on: November 24, 2018, 10:01:31 PM »
Would love to put pic up ,but canít do it any hints.
Willing put on Twitter.?