Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 230926 times)

marty1953

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #1440 on: January 08, 2019, 11:35:47 PM »
Wasn’t any Man City’s fans then..lol
Robert (kipper)Kerr,Paul Kerr,they lived above shop..Father sang in St Anthony’s Choir,great voice (sweet heart of Jesus) was a hymn he excelled at..
The shop was attacked and ransacked,while the family waited on help,couple of Woodstock Tartan lads got jail sentences.

citybloke

« Reply #1441 on: January 09, 2019, 11:43:51 AM »
Robert (kipper)Kerr,Paul Kerr,they lived above shop..Father sang in St Anthony’s Choir,great voice (sweet heart of Jesus) was a hymn he excelled at..
The shop was attacked and ransacked,while the family waited on help,couple of Woodstock Tartan lads got jail sentences.

Hi Marty
Yes that's the Bobby [Kipper] Kerr I was referring to. I never knew Bobby until we came to England at the same time - although I found out later that my sister who danced for the McAleer School of Irish Dancing was quite friendly with his sister  who also danced with the same school [ can't think of her name - might have been Laura??].  I only knew Bobby's brother Paul for a short time when he visited Bobby in England for a short holiday in 1972.
You are probably right about not many  City fans coming to England in those days although I can claim to be a loyal supporter now for over 40 years now - hence my user name!

Rose8

« Reply #1442 on: January 09, 2019, 03:18:39 PM »
Quote from: citybloke link=topic=415.msg2097779#msg
although I found out later that my sister who danced for the McAleer School of Irish Dancing was quite friendly with his sister  who also danced with the same school [ can't think of her name - might have been Laura??].

Think that might have been Maura Kerr? I also danced with McAleer school, firstly in St Matthews and then she opened a class  in St A’s church Hall. Who was your sister Citybloke?
From ROSE :)
St Anthony's School story is at:  http://www.saintanthony.co.uk/page4.html

citybloke

« Reply #1443 on: January 09, 2019, 06:58:21 PM »
Rose I've sent you a personal message.

olelad

« Reply #1444 on: January 10, 2019, 07:34:59 AM »

things around that end of the road was a lot worst then up our end.

olelad

« Reply #1445 on: January 11, 2019, 11:13:19 AM »
football yet again. reds v ards then home to watch millwall v everton on bbc tv. quite adays football. hope both games we get right results.

Rose8

« Reply #1446 on: January 11, 2019, 05:50:20 PM »

And now to get away from football👿 a recent picture of St Anthony’s during the 80th anniversary celebration mass in October 2018. We now have a new sound system (due to a Will gift from a previous parishioner) and hope to get lots of repairs done this year. St Anthonys must be the only catholic church in Belfast not to have been refurbished in recent years!!

St Anthony’s Church Willowfield

White dee

« Reply #1447 on: January 11, 2019, 09:17:31 PM »
And now to get away from football👿 a recent picture of St Anthony’s during the 80th anniversary celebration mass in October 2018. We now have a new sound system (due to a Will gift from a previous parishioner) and hope to get lots of repairs done this year. St Anthonys must be the only catholic church in Belfast not to have been refurbished in recent years!!

Thanks for posting that link Rose8, although I've passed St Antony's many a time I've never seen the inside,,,

Love all, trust few, everything is real but,
Not everyone is true,,
        Buddha

olelad

« Reply #1448 on: January 11, 2019, 11:05:20 PM »

great news rose. pity I missed being there.  but now back to the football :D

olelad

« Reply #1449 on: January 11, 2019, 11:08:49 PM »
Thanks for posting that link Rose8, although I've passed St Antony's many a time I've never seen the inside,,,

went there afew times about 10 years ago. after all those years since we was put out I was well pleased to be back. you should defo call in for mass and listen to the great choir.

Rose8

« Reply #1450 on: January 11, 2019, 11:47:11 PM »

Well, everyone’s welcome!

Rose8

« Reply #1451 on: January 11, 2019, 11:50:26 PM »
went there afew times about 10 years ago. after all those years since we was put out I was well pleased to be back. you should defo call in for mass and listen to the great choir.

Yeah, the choir are there every Sunday.

olelad

« Reply #1452 on: January 12, 2019, 10:21:13 PM »
back to winning ways. 4-1 to the reds. :)

olelad

« Reply #1453 on: January 16, 2019, 09:59:23 PM »
this sat were away to dungannon swifts which will be avery hard game.