Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 247796 times)

molloy bernadette

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #1455 on: January 25, 2019, 06:56:21 PM »
dos anyone out there remember Imelda faloona im trying to contact her we went to school together she lived in willoefield moved to London  can anyone help

olelad

« Reply #1456 on: February 05, 2019, 09:27:25 PM »
home to newry this sat

marty1953

« Reply #1457 on: February 06, 2019, 10:15:32 PM »
Olelad,not being rude,I hope,donít give a toss about Cliftonville.
Itís site for East Belfast exiles..itís like me putting fixtures etc,about the Glens,on a North Belfast forum.

olelad

« Reply #1458 on: February 06, 2019, 11:06:58 PM »
Olelad,not being rude,I hope,donít give a toss about Cliftonville.
Itís site for East Belfast exiles..itís like me putting fixtures etc,about the Glens,on a North Belfast forum.

not having much luck trying to build up support on here for the mighty reds. but giving that I know afew others on here follow the reds ill keep posting about them.  think theres apage called east Belfast exiles somewhere on this site.

olelad

« Reply #1459 on: February 06, 2019, 11:13:45 PM »
reds have a new manager. paddy McLaughlin. wish him all the best.

Rose8

« Reply #1460 on: February 06, 2019, 11:15:10 PM »
Oh! And I thought it was about St Anthonyís Parish in East Belfast  ??? :(
From ROSE :)
St Anthony's School story is at:  http://www.saintanthony.co.uk/page4.html

marty1953

« Reply #1461 on: February 07, 2019, 02:47:17 PM »
Hi Rose,getting back too St Anthonyís news.
Saw picture of Father Courtney,after he officiated at my sister Ceciliaís wedding in August 1963.
It was from her mini wedding album.
Some shots from inside church,brought back a lot of memories.

Rose8

« Reply #1462 on: February 07, 2019, 03:12:48 PM »
Hi Rose,getting back too St Anthonyís news.
Saw picture of Father Courtney,after he officiated at my sister Ceciliaís wedding in August 1963.
It was from her mini wedding album.
Some shots from inside church,brought back a lot of memories.

The only Cecilia I knew was McNally, that wasnít her was it? Yes Fr Courtney married us as well. He was so lovely and was always helpful and kind ....they donít make them like that any more, I believe itís not a vocation now but a job 😷  I met a niece of his a couple of years ago and she said all her cousins were meeting up and they didnít have a photo of him. I was able to make a copy of him at our wedding which she was delighted with.  He died soon after leaving St Aís at Glenravel in Co Antrim and is buried there on the bank of  a little river.

olelad

« Reply #1463 on: February 07, 2019, 03:13:52 PM »
fear not everyone ive seen the light :D . tbh im fed up posting about games here there and everywhere. ill be doing it on my messages from now on. but just to add to the sporting front. marty think you might know about this. I remember going to watch a glentoran team not sure if it was the 2nds, 3rds or youth team playing but the games was played at a pitch not far from ladas dr cop shop. when u came out from daddy winkers u turned left on to ladas dr and then I think u took first turn on the left. after that I cant remember a think except that it wasn't that far a walk. the pitch itself was on its own. houses were around each side of it and it was defo a glentoran team that played there as I remember them wearing the famoue white top with the red, green and black hoops . anyone know what you called the ground/pitch , is it still there? and was there any name to the area it was.

olelad

« Reply #1464 on: February 07, 2019, 03:16:31 PM »
The only Cecilia I knew was McNally, that wasnít her was it? Yes Fr Courtney married us as well. He was so lovely and was always helpful and kind ....they donít make them like that any more, I believe itís not a vocation now but a job 😷  I met a niece of his a couple of years ago and she said all her cousins were meeting up and they didnít have a photo of him. I was able to make a copy of him at our wedding which she was delighted with.  He died soon after leaving St Aís at Glenravel in Co Antrim and is buried there on the bank of  a little river.

yes I remember fr Courtney well and while I wouldnt say they all just do it as a job I know where your coming from.

Rose8

« Reply #1465 on: February 07, 2019, 03:27:12 PM »
yes I remember fr Courtney well and while I wouldnt say they all just do it as a job I know where your coming from.
I know, itís not fair to generalise, but have met a number of them in the past 20years that def do not seem like shepherds looking after their flock. Och but sure arenít the Drs just the same now too🤪🤪🤪 Seen the time you knew your Dr and they knew you (Grumpy ole woman 👵) 😂

olelad

« Reply #1466 on: February 07, 2019, 03:31:24 PM »
I know, itís not fair to generalise, but have met a number of them in the past 20years that def do not seem like shepherds looking after their flock. Och but sure arenít the Drs just the same now too🤪🤪🤪 Seen the time you knew your Dr and they knew you (Grumpy ole woman 👵) 😂

:D as the songs says the times they are a changing

Rose8

« Reply #1467 on: February 07, 2019, 03:34:33 PM »
I seem to remember a pitch at the back of the Tech on Montgomery Rd which extended down to Ladas Drive with a gate there. I think in later years the Scouts had a group there. So that would have been near the Barracks and across the road from Daddy Winkers (now Gibson Park Avenue)

marty1953

« Reply #1468 on: February 07, 2019, 09:29:59 PM »
Remember the Row of shops,first shop was Red Rooster,small entrance at end of shops,football pitch was there.,it stretched in too Daddywinkers lane,think it was called Cregagh Cricket Club yrs later.
Had a drink in ,very well run club.
Yes Cecilia mc Nally is my eldest sister,then Noreen,Anne..who you might know Rose.

olelad

« Reply #1469 on: February 07, 2019, 10:42:37 PM »
Remember the Row of shops,first shop was Red Rooster,small entrance at end of shops,football pitch was there.,it stretched in too Daddywinkers lane,think it was called Cregagh Cricket Club yrs later.
Had a drink in ,very well run club.
Yes Cecilia mc Nally is my eldest sister,then Noreen,Anne..who you might know Rose.

I remember the red rooster shop and gang. Dromore st most of them came from. yes I remember the cricket club. st anthonys got a stuffing from harding ps  there.