Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 239317 times)

olelad

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #1470 on: February 07, 2019, 10:43:42 PM »
I seem to remember a pitch at the back of the Tech on Montgomery Rd which extended down to Ladas Drive with a gate there. I think in later years the Scouts had a group there. So that would have been near the Barracks and across the road from Daddy Winkers (now Gibson Park Avenue)

not sure rose. could be the pitch I remember.

vinnym

« Reply #1471 on: February 08, 2019, 08:37:36 AM »
fear not everyone ive seen the light :D . tbh im fed up posting about games here there and everywhere. ill be doing it on my messages from now on. but just to add to the sporting front. marty think you might know about this. I remember going to watch a glentoran team not sure if it was the 2nds, 3rds or youth team playing but the games was played at a pitch not far from ladas dr cop shop. when u came out from daddy winkers u turned left on to ladas dr and then I think u took first turn on the left. after that I cant remember a think except that it wasn't that far a walk. the pitch itself was on its own. houses were around each side of it and it was defo a glentoran team that played there as I remember them wearing the famoue white top with the red, green and black hoops . anyone know what you called the ground/pitch , is it still there? and was there any name to the area it was.
The pitch you remember was on land bounded by Pommern Parade, Orangefield Crescent, Blenheim Drive and Donovan Parade. If my memory serves me, I think Sirocco Works FC played there up to 50/60s then Glentoran took it over. Seems they have built houses on it now.

bjay

« Reply #1472 on: February 08, 2019, 06:15:50 PM »
The pitch behind the tech may have been at Cregagh Youth Club.  George Best played for the youth club on that pitch. Used to go to the disco in the youth club on a Saturday night in my ill spent youth.
There is fire station located beside it.

olelad

« Reply #1473 on: February 08, 2019, 10:08:46 PM »
The pitch you remember was on land bounded by Pommern Parade, Orangefield Crescent, Blenheim Drive and Donovan Parade. If my memory serves me, I think Sirocco Works FC played there up to 50/60s then Glentoran took it over. Seems they have built houses on it now.

cheers m8. that clears that one up. :)

olelad

« Reply #1474 on: February 08, 2019, 10:10:05 PM »
The pitch behind the tech may have been at Cregagh Youth Club.  George Best played for the youth club on that pitch. Used to go to the disco in the youth club on a Saturday night in my ill spent youth.
There is fire station located beside it.

think that was to the other side of the cop shop. I remember it well.

olelad

« Reply #1475 on: February 11, 2019, 09:54:05 AM »

forgot 2 ask any idea when the houses was built on it ??? or was there a name to the area where the ground was ? I remember going there many a sat afternoon but all I wanted to see was a glentoran win.  :)

Rose8

« Reply #1476 on: February 11, 2019, 10:42:45 AM »
My granddaughter now plays for Glentoran Ladies  :P . O how times have changed.  :(

From ROSE :)
St Anthony's School story is at:  http://www.saintanthony.co.uk/page4.html

vinnym

« Reply #1477 on: February 11, 2019, 10:50:48 AM »
forgot 2 ask any idea when the houses was built on it ??? or was there a name to the area where the ground was ? I remember going there many a sat afternoon but all I wanted to see was a glentoran win.  :)
Just looked on PRONI historical maps, it is named on the map as Sports Ground (Sirocco Works). When Glentoran used it I seem to remember it being referred to as Pommern Parade, I think the entrance was there.

marty1953

« Reply #1478 on: February 11, 2019, 02:03:56 PM »
Getting confused now,the ground I remember was on the cregagh rd,think Methodist Church next door,the entrance was squeezed in between church and row of shops,with Red Rooster at the end of row.
Pommern Parade was used by the Glens..second team,maybe youth side as well.
Long gone.

bjay

« Reply #1479 on: February 11, 2019, 06:17:12 PM »
Marty,  there was a recreation ground between the church and the shops. Think it was where the flats are now.

olelad

« Reply #1480 on: February 11, 2019, 10:22:14 PM »
Getting confused now,the ground I remember was on the cregagh rd,think Methodist Church next door,the entrance was squeezed in between church and row of shops,with Red Rooster at the end of row.
Pommern Parade was used by the Glens..second team,maybe youth side as well.
Long gone.

that ground you mentioned is further down daddy winkers lane.

olelad

« Reply #1481 on: February 11, 2019, 10:24:50 PM »
Marty,  there was a recreation ground between the church and the shops. Think it was where the flats are now.

we used to play on the all weather pitch with there hockey nets still up. the football pitchs was up towards the creagh rd. yes theres flats on the lane I remember them been built late 60s early 70s. think theres more flats there now

olelad

« Reply #1482 on: February 14, 2019, 05:40:35 PM »
Gibson park gardens is the street which runs from loopland up 2 daddy winkers lane. the gate into the cricket pitch is near where the st opens on to the lane.

olelad

« Reply #1483 on: April 05, 2019, 11:11:58 PM »
Gibson park gardens is the street which runs from loopland up 2 daddy winkers lane. the gate into the cricket pitch is near where the st opens on to the lane.

talking about Gibson pk isn't there a bowls club or something there. its on the left side of the st when going up to daddy winkers.  wasn't there tennis courts there ??? 

Yer_Woman

« Reply #1484 on: April 07, 2019, 11:42:11 PM »
The one on Ardgowan St corner is now Eastenders (can't remember what it was before that).  The one at Omeath St was Harts (their two girls were at school with me). It was an off-licence but regulars used to drink in the back room.  The one at Beersbridge belonged also to a catholic family who went to school at St A's (can't remember their name).  There was another one just past Ravenhill Ave, the Cregagh Inn, which was my Dad's local.

The apartments and houses are almost finished and we'll be glad to see the builder's fencing come down.

Hiya, Sorry I'm not sure if anyone is still posting on this thread, but my dad grew up on Dromore St, but moved down to Willowfield Drive when the troubles kicked off. My dad and grandad worked in the Cregagh Inn and a few other local bars before it kicked off. My dad's called Patrick Magee if that rings a bell?