Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 246538 times)

cody

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2009, 03:24:58 PM »
Here is the class of 66 as I remember it at St Anthony's. and  what I know of them
Sean Duffy (me) schoolteacher
George Workman social worker
Eamonn Hughes P hd Univ. Lecturer
Keiran Lundy   Solicitor
Martin McN ally  Sales Rep.
jOHN mc Mahon (maxi) P hd  college lecturer
Maurice Brown  law -I think
Paul Kerr college lecturer
Paul Mc Glade (magic footballer) business man
FreD toland  British Army
John Martin British Army
John Rooney
Peter Rooney artist
? Diffin
Seamus Martin
Artie Reyhill
Tony Brennan
Manny Collins
John Wallace (deceased)
Eugene Quigley
Frankie Hawkins
Michael Kelly
Colin Ramsey
Jimmy Meighan
Gerard Cullen
   so many more- but memory is fallible. Hope people recognise a few names and it evokes a few memories.

olelad

« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2009, 03:31:18 PM »
Here is the class of 66 as I remember it at St Anthony's. and  what I know of them
Sean Duffy (me) schoolteacher
George Workman social worker
Eamonn Hughes P hd Univ. Lecturer
Keiran Lundy   Solicitor
Martin McN ally  Sales Rep.
jOHN mc Mahon (maxi) P hd  college lecturer
Maurice Brown  law -I think
Paul Kerr college lecturer
Paul Mc Glade (magic footballer) business man
FreD toland  British Army
John Martin British Army
John Rooney
Peter Rooney artist
? Diffin
Seamus Martin
Artie Reyhill
Tony Brennan
Manny Collins
John Wallace (deceased)
Eugene Quigley
Frankie Hawkins
Michael Kelly
Colin Ramsey
Jimmy Meighan
Gerard Cullen
   so many more- but memory is fallible. Hope people recognise a few names and it evokes a few memories.

artie rehill was he from clonduff estate ? i ask that cuz when we had a st anthonys reunion afew years back our class of 69 aguy called francie rehill from clonduff drive. he was the only one we all could remember but no one seemed to know whatever became of him ?!
michael kelly from the woodstock rd ? i knocked around with his 2 brothers tom RIP and joe.  not sure about michael but family moved to craigavon and then onto bangor direction.
do you remember the taylors

REP1

« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2009, 04:13:49 PM »

used to always go to his gaff to get my hair cut. wasn't he from madrid st ?  his shop got blast bombed either late 71 or early 72.

He lived at 7 woodstock st. Where he owned a small corner shop, next door to his sons chip shop. He died around 12 years ago.
I was taken to his barbour shop by my father every few weeks. It was usually a Thursday, the day he got his pay. And if he had enough money left he would always buy me one of the match box cars from a little shop, I think it was on the opposite side from Jimmys place. Do you know the shop in question?
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity

olelad

« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2009, 04:27:57 PM »
He lived at 7 woodstock st. Where he owned a small corner shop, next door to his sons chip shop. He died around 12 years ago.
I was taken to his barbour shop by my father every few weeks. It was usually a Thursday, the day he got his pay. And if he had enough money left he would always buy me one of the match box cars from a little shop, I think it was on the opposite side from Jimmys place. Do you know the shop in question?

there was afew shops around that time selling sweets toys etc. there was one on the same side as jimmys. in fact there was one either side. i also think your right about on the other side between  portatallo st and hatton dr. but its that long ago i might be wrong.
just talking about woodstock st. there was alad in our class at st anthonys. he was one of the ones who came over from lagan village when it closed called kenneth eckles who had a shop there in woodtsock st ?

REP1

« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2009, 04:48:37 PM »
Kenneth Eckles. His father Eddie owned the shop that Jimmy took over. they moved to Downpatrick and opened a spar shop there, around the mid seventies.
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity

olelad

« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2009, 05:42:23 PM »
Kenneth Eckles. His father Eddie owned the shop that Jimmy took over. they moved to Downpatrick and opened a spar shop there, around the mid seventies.

downpatrick was a popular spot for people from the short strand and st anthonys parish in general. lots moving there.

cody

« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2009, 06:27:41 PM »
Hi
     Yes Artie was from Clonduff as were the meighans,tolands and Marty.Mc Nally I did not know Francie -maybe the younger brother ? but I knew Cornelius who was the oldest and Artie  Reyhill. I lived in Carlingford Street as did my grandparents the Duffys. My father went to the school and so did my four uncles,desi, brian , paul and  Andy. Vinty Mulhall taught my father . as a young teacher. I hate to speak ill of the dead but I cant say that Vinty was a nice guy. He had his favourites in the class and this preference was based on money or perceptions of family background. My father told me a particularly unsavory story about him but I will not repeat it here. He once informed me that I was wasting my time doing the 11+but as I was  one of only four lucky enough to pass it, I felt a little vindicated, though he never once acknowedged it in any way. I KNOW HE ACCIDENTLY KILLED IN A CAR CAR AND i THINK IT AFFECTED HIM badly -no blame it was a genuine accident. HE GONE NOW NONE OF US ARE PERFECT. My favorite teacher was Mr. Hart- a true gentleman with a fiery temper ,he had a weak heart but was kind to all the kids . o thers I remember from my class were Gary Donnelly,Stephen his brother who tragically died at the early age of 10 of asthma,Tony Devine,PaUl O NEIL now a housing manager in  Ballynafeigh. Michael kelly hung about with me and Quig. A great natural artist he once drew the front of the school magnificently but the greatest natural artistic talent was Peter ROONEY. His drawings were incredible for one so young. When I think about it there were  a lot of bright kids in the class. Many did very well but with modern teaching and encouragement what could the rest have achieved?ive spent most of my married life on the ormo but I did take my boys to the  chapel -indeed both were altar boys. I was never good enough for that honour!

olelad

« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2009, 06:57:15 PM »
Hi
     Yes Artie was from Clonduff as were the meighans,tolands and Marty.Mc Nally I did not know Francie -maybe the younger brother ? but I knew Cornelius who was the oldest and Artie  Reyhill. I lived in Carlingford Street as did my grandparents the Duffys. My father went to the school and so did my four uncles,desi, brian , paul and  Andy. Vinty Mulhall taught my father . as a young teacher. I hate to speak ill of the dead but I cant say that Vinty was a nice guy. He had his favourites in the class and this preference was based on money or perceptions of family background. My father told me a particularly unsavory story about him but I will not repeat it here. He once informed me that I was wasting my time doing the 11+but as I was  one of only four lucky enough to pass it, I felt a little vindicated, though he never once acknowedged it in any way. I KNOW HE ACCIDENTLY KILLED IN A CAR CAR AND i THINK IT AFFECTED HIM badly -no blame it was a genuine accident. HE GONE NOW NONE OF US ARE PERFECT. My favorite teacher was Mr. Hart- a true gentleman with a fiery temper ,he had a weak heart but was kind to all the kids . o thers I remember from my class were Gary Donnelly,Stephen his brother who tragically died at the early age of 10 of asthma,Tony Devine,PaUl O NEIL now a housing manager in  Ballynafeigh. Michael kelly hung about with me and Quig. A great natural artist he once drew the front of the school magnificently but the greatest natural artistic talent was Peter ROONEY. His drawings were incredible for one so young. When I think about it there were  a lot of bright kids in the class. Many did very well but with modern teaching and encouragement what could the rest have achieved?ive spent most of my married life on the ormo but I did take my boys to the  chapel -indeed both were altar boys. I was never good enough for that honour!

yes thats the same rehills, any idea what became of them?  i remember vinty alright but it was harry hart who like many others i had most respect for. agreat teacher and bloke in general.  we meet up with him about 5 ago years at a school reunion we put on in the crown bar. he remembered pupils from years b4 us and we all was well pleased he remembered us lot. agood turn out of the class of 69 was present 5 i think  :) which was quite good considering we had be scattered all over the place since 72 and hadnt seen each other since back then. older guys included one of the quigleys.  hope to be able to post afew photos of the event ever soon.
the lad collins was he from redcar st ? there was a brian collins in our class from there and he had some older brothers. no idea what became of them.

cody

« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2009, 09:29:32 PM »
Hi Oledad
                                  Im sorry i cant give you any info. regarding the reyhills. All the Clonduff people were scattered. M. mcnally and the Meighans,Tony Brennan  the Rooneys all went to west belfast. I went to the new Lodge. Though some went to Craigavon or Downpatrick. Manny Collins did live in REDCAR ST. he was a friend for a while as you do in primary school you sort of hang with everyone at some time or other. They were put out cos I knew a good protestant mate of his whom I later came to know well who helped him and his family load their stuff. He was really fond of Manny and regretted his leaving. Maybe you knew my brother Danny Duffy  he was 3 years younger than me and perhaps was in the1970 group im not sure. He eventually went to St Augustines and then when we were put out to Bearnageeha though he did travel to St Augustines until his 4 th year. He sadly died at the young age of 39. I went to London to bury him . He was a great kid with a colourful life but he had a hard start since my mother was paralysed at his birth and that of his twin sister  and he spent the first 3 years of his life in Nazareth lodge Childrens home on the Ravenhill Rd. . W e were all reunited but Danny I think carried the legacy of this all through his life. Any way enough reminiscence---. Good to see a few old schoolmates' names'mentioned and piece together a few memories.

olelad

« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2009, 10:00:52 PM »
Hi Oledad
                                  Im sorry i cant give you any info. regarding the reyhills. All the Clonduff people were scattered. M. mcnally and the Meighans,Tony Brennan  the Rooneys all went to west belfast. I went to the new Lodge. Though some went to Craigavon or Downpatrick. Manny Collins did live in REDCAR ST. he was a friend for a while as you do in primary school you sort of hang with everyone at some time or other. They were put out cos I knew a good protestant mate of his whom I later came to know well who helped him and his family load their stuff. He was really fond of Manny and regretted his leaving. Maybe you knew my brother Danny Duffy  he was 3 years younger than me and perhaps was in the1970 group im not sure. He eventually went to St Augustines and then when we were put out to Bearnageeha though he did travel to St Augustines until his 4 th year. He sadly died at the young age of 39. I went to London to bury him . He was a great kid with a colourful life but he had a hard start since my mother was paralysed at his birth and that of his twin sister  and he spent the first 3 years of his life in Nazareth lodge Childrens home on the Ravenhill Rd. . W e were all reunited but Danny I think carried the legacy of this all through his life. Any way enough reminiscence---. Good to see a few old schoolmates' names'mentioned and piece together a few memories.

sorry about your brother danny and im quite sure i did know him as that name just springs to mind. as you say when your at school you knock around with most at some time and living in the same manor your bound to come across each other.  any idea were the collins moved to ? none of us ever heard. back in those days you could be playing with aguy one day the next day youd call round for them and theyd have been put out that night. one by one we all got our turn so no goodbyes and  sometimes you never heard were they moved. your bound to have known some of the donnellys from imperial st ? another guy from clonduff was john mcguinness.  im sure more names will come to mind 

olelad

« Reply #100 on: November 25, 2009, 09:55:23 AM »
came across agood photo of harry hart and a miss kennedy from the reunion . ill hopefully get it posted up here asap.
ive no scanner so ill have to get my daughter to sort it out from her phone !  ???

cody

« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2009, 05:09:45 PM »
Hi Oledad
                   Yes I did know Gary  Donnelly. We hung out a bit. He was a character then, larger than life. As I said his brother Stephen died while at school. My dad  knew their dad. A good family!   Did you know the oHaras from the Rosebery Rd. ? There were a lot of brothers and one sister. I was in the same class as Mickey I think the other brothers were older. Sadly the oldest John was killed when doing a one off taxi shift for a friend- by loyalists . He was a lovely fella with a family. They were all good people . Happy to mix with everyone as you did on the woodstock / Cregagh. Something that many would not approve of. My brother Danny was in the Irish army and later the French Foreign legion. He was a tough kid I miss him for he had a lovely nature despite his personal troubles. It would be nice to see the photo of Harry Hart- a true gentleman. As you say  a lot of folk just disappeared. No mobiles in those days- SO CONTACT WAS LOST QUICKLY.DESPITE HAVING TO MOVE i HOLD NO ANIMOSITY TOWARDS ANYONE we were all caught up in a [censored] storm not of our making . There were many good people in the parish catholic and protestant. At LEAST THE FUTURE IS BRIGHTER FOR ALL OUR KIDS !

olelad

« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2009, 05:14:07 PM »
Hi Oledad
                   Yes I did know Gary  Donnelly. We hung out a bit. He was a character then, larger than life. As I said his brother Stephen died while at school. My dad  knew their dad. A good family!   Did you know the oHaras from the Rosebery Rd. ? There were a lot of brothers and one sister. I was in the same class as Mickey I think the other brothers were older. Sadly the oldest John was killed when doing a one off taxi shift for a friend- by loyalists . He was a lovely fella with a family. They were all good people . Happy to mix with everyone as you did on the woodstock / Cregagh. Something that many would not approve of. My brother Danny was in the Irish army and later the French Foreign legion. He was a tough kid I miss him for he had a lovely nature despite his personal troubles. It would be nice to see the photo of Harry Hart- a true gentleman. As you say  a lot of folk just disappeared. No mobiles in those days- SO CONTACT WAS LOST QUICKLY.DESPITE HAVING TO MOVE i HOLD NO ANIMOSITY TOWARDS ANYONE we were all caught up in a [censored] storm not of our making . There were many good people in the parish catholic and protestant. At LEAST THE FUTURE IS BRIGHTER FOR ALL OUR KIDS !

indeed m8. i knew paul ohara well. we was in the same class as was colin donnelly. i knocked around with colin. i heard they moved to twinbrook. think the oharas went to either the lower ormo or short strand.

marty_55

« Reply #103 on: November 25, 2009, 10:50:30 PM »
Hi, Martin McNally here, would of loved to of went to the st.antony's reunion. I left in 1964 to go to st Agustine's. John Rooney who was on the list from the cregagh died three decades ago. david meighan is living in north belfast, i didnt really go to the west, i live in dunmurry. My heart still lies in the east of course!

Strath_Roy

« Reply #104 on: November 25, 2009, 11:15:09 PM »
Strath_Roy Did Seamus Curran play the fiddle.

Hi! Rep1
I don't recall Seamus ever playing the fiddle. His brother Denis was a champion Irish Dancer.
Your Uncle Jimmy used to cut my hair. I also remember him at the annual Christmas Bazaar. I left Belfast in 1958.
S_R
The world suffers a lot.
Not because of bad people.
But because of the silence of good people.
Napoleon