Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 239624 times)

REP1

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2009, 11:43:38 PM »
Hi Strath_roy. There was a guy call Seamus that lived in Willowfield Dr. Who played fiddle, I met him at a session every sunday night with other musicians at the home of Francie Owens Thompson st S/Strand, another guy who played banjo was Bertie Allen, I was only eleven at the time and being tutored on the guitar by Francie Owens who also played the piano.
Another great Musician from your area was Artie Lundy.
You left Befast 2 years after I was born. Where did you end up
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity

Strath_Roy

« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2009, 12:09:25 AM »
Hi Strath_roy. There was a guy call Seamus that lived in Willowfield Dr. Who played fiddle, I met him at a session every sunday night with other musicians at the home of Francie Owens Thompson st S/Strand, another guy who played banjo was Bertie Allen, I was only eleven at the time and being tutored on the guitar by Francie Owens who also played the piano.
Another great Musician from your area was Artie Lundy.
You left Befast 2 years after I was born. Where did you end up
Strathroy Ontario.
Seamus lives somewhere up near the Knock Dual Carriage way. He would be in his 70's now
The world suffers a lot.
Not because of bad people.
But because of the silence of good people.
Napoleon

REP1

« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2009, 12:15:47 AM »
That just might be him?
I have cousin that lives in Toronto Jimmy Greer Has a lot to do with the Durum Irish club. That is possibly not how it is spelled.
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity

clem

« Reply #108 on: November 27, 2009, 05:45:54 PM »
seen somewhere else somebody talking about catching spricks.  we used to catch them down at bells bridge up near ravenhill rugby ground. whats that wee river/stream called   ???
hiya olelad, im glad to see you were able to use the photo's ,lol, the river your talkin about ran on down and joined into the one at the bottom of daddy winker's lane, remember the park and playin fields at the back ,just beside malone rugby club now,anyway that river is called the loop .

olelad

« Reply #109 on: November 28, 2009, 03:17:43 PM »
hiya olelad, im glad to see you were able to use the photo's ,lol, the river your talkin about ran on down and joined into the one at the bottom of daddy winker's lane, remember the park and playin fields at the back ,just beside malone rugby club now,anyway that river is called the loop .

good to see youve arrived on here m8.

solace

« Reply #110 on: November 29, 2009, 02:32:33 PM »
Hi Olelad, would like to see the photo of Harry Hart...I remember him well, great master.

olelad

« Reply #111 on: November 29, 2009, 02:34:27 PM »
Hi Olelad, would like to see the photo of Harry Hart...I remember him well, great master.

ill see if i can get my daughter to post it up later tonight. if not some day this week.

olelad

« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2009, 09:50:33 AM »
does anyone remember awee laundrette on the creagh rd just up from artie bells was. i alway remember they had one of the first coffee/chocolate machines

clem

« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2009, 07:28:41 PM »
Gees olelad we mustta been rich in them days we had a washing machine of our own lol every saturday it was filled ,the water was heated and then pumped into the bath where we got washed in order. p.s. i remember the duffy's well i think my brother hugh knocked about with them and im sorry to be a pain in the [censored] but the collins family lived in portallo street number 76 (i think) pretty sure they moved to west belfast ,and talking of washing machines i remember that one of the boys manuel possibly got very bad elecrical burns and was in the throne hospital for quite some time , brian was the same age as olelad and i manual was bout 2 years younger and there was another younger brother cant remeber his name
does anyone remember awee laundrette on the creagh rd just up from artie bells was. i alway remember they had one of the first coffee/chocolate machines

olelad

« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2009, 09:58:37 PM »
it was redcar st   :D  i know i was out voted at the reunion on this one but ive someone else now saying it was redcar st  :smile:  it ran from the woodstock to euston st then to the castlereagh rd. they lived in the castlereagh rd end on the left hand side. i was at there house many a time. there was a wee shop right on the corner with euston st. 

Jon B

« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2009, 10:26:12 PM »
I grew up around there and remember Manuel in that 2nd end house in Redcar Street.
He used to show off a scar on his chest or stomach he got from electrocution.
From my recollection he had cousins, the Collins, lived in Portallo Street.
One of them was Gerry, walked with a limp, apparently got from polio, I think we were told.

olelad

« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2009, 10:32:53 PM »
I grew up around there and remember Manuel in that 2nd end house in Redcar Street.
He used to show off a scar on his chest or stomach he got from electrocution.
From my recollection he had cousins, the Collins, lived in Portallo Street.
One of them was Gerry, walked with a limp, apparently got from polio, I think we were told.

redcar st it is  :smile:  cheers m8

clem

« Reply #117 on: December 04, 2009, 12:33:35 AM »
Hi John , and Olelad good to hear from ya's  ,all i can tell ya is there was a family called Collins who lived in Portallo Street (think it was 76) Brian was in our class  and he had an older brother called Manuel ( i Mistakenly said b4 he was younger tho he was bout 2 years older than us) and a younger brother who had a bad leg from i believe polio, 1 of Brians good friends was a guy called Gordon Banks who lived in the last house on the left in Portallo St near the Castlereagh Rd his family owned a sweet shop on the Beersbridge Rd not far from Lord St , Brian was our goalie when we played against the school on the North Rd ,Strandtown ??? the highlight of our soccer was a 3-3 draw against them as we were cheered on by both teachers Harry Hart and Brian Gallagher, we werent so fortunate tho against Harding Memorial as we were hammered i bout 6-0 by them, fraid that caused me to hang up my boots anyway there was a good lookin guy from the estate had beaten me to it ... lol  

redcar st it is  :smile:  cheers m8

olelad

« Reply #118 on: December 04, 2009, 09:53:51 AM »
Hi John , and Olelad good to hear from ya's  ,all i can tell ya is there was a family called Collins who lived in Portallo Street (think it was 76) Brian was in our class  and he had an older brother called Manuel ( i Mistakenly said b4 he was younger tho he was bout 2 years older than us) and a younger brother who had a bad leg from i believe polio, 1 of Brians good friends was a guy called Gordon Banks who lived in the last house on the left in Portallo St near the Castlereagh Rd his family owned a sweet shop on the Beersbridge Rd not far from Lord St , Brian was our goalie when we played against the school on the North Rd ,Strandtown :scratch_ones_head: the highlight of our soccer was a 3-3 draw against them as we were cheered on by both teachers Harry Hart and Brian Gallagher, we werent so fortunate tho against Harding Memorial as we were hammered i bout 6-0 by them, fraid that caused me to hang up my boots anyway there was a good lookin guy from the estate had beaten me to it ... lol  

i remember that game against harding very well. harry hart as you say was on the side line and while i cant remember the final score im sure we was beating by more than 6. you werent alone in hanging your boots up after that game.  :smile:

olelad

« Reply #119 on: December 04, 2009, 10:02:49 AM »
Hi John , and Olelad good to hear from ya's  ,all i can tell ya is there was a family called Collins who lived in Portallo Street (think it was 76) Brian was in our class  and he had an older brother called Manuel ( i Mistakenly said b4 he was younger tho he was bout 2 years older than us) and a younger brother who had a bad leg from i believe polio, 1 of Brians good friends was a guy called Gordon Banks who lived in the last house on the left in Portallo St near the Castlereagh Rd his family owned a sweet shop on the Beersbridge Rd not far from Lord St , Brian was our goalie when we played against the school on the North Rd ,Strandtown :scratch_ones_head: the highlight of our soccer was a 3-3 draw against them as we were cheered on by both teachers Harry Hart and Brian Gallagher, we werent so fortunate tho against Harding Memorial as we were hammered i bout 6-0 by them, fraid that caused me to hang up my boots anyway there was a good lookin guy from the estate had beaten me to it ... lol  

it was redcar st   :smile: