Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 238104 times)

clem

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2009, 03:48:28 PM »
If i can get my hands on an old street directory maybe we can put this to bed , fair?

it was redcar st   :smile:

olelad

« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2009, 05:02:17 PM »
If i can get my hands on an old street directory maybe we can put this to bed , fair?

:D 
must just go back to our game v Harding. it was played after school hours up of daddy winkers lane and it was our classes last ever game. i think it was a score of around 11-0. with Brian Collins in nets and im glad to see you say he had a m8 called tony banks (pity it wasn't Gordon banks !) cuz after the game he looked avery forlong figure  :D

clem

« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2009, 07:39:14 PM »
I know i said earlier gordon banks but i think it was actually gordon bates

:D 
must just go back to our game v Harding. it was played after school hours up of daddy winkers lane and it was our classes last ever game. i think it was a score of around 11-0. with Brian Collins in nets and im glad to see you say he had a m8 called tony banks (pity it wasn't Gordon banks !) cuz after the game he looked avery forlong figure  :D

rusty

« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2009, 08:33:09 PM »
anyone remember the magees eileen patricia also the regans annie the mum semus kevin ann-marie think there where 7 of them they lived in ardenvohr street in late 60s early 70s we left in 72 and have often thought bout them.

Jon B

« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2009, 08:40:46 PM »
Sorry if I'm sticking my nose in again.  ::)
Have checked with elder relatives.
There were 2 Collins households. Portallo and Redcar.
The Portallo address would have been about 76, where Gerry stayed.
Redcar definitely 2nd from Castlereagh Rd end, Portallo side.
Manuel was believed to stay there, maybe he stayed with aunt/uncle if he was Gerrys brother.

The Bates family was end house, Portallo St, probably 98 .
Gordon's father was Jackie Bates , the ex NI snooker/billiards champion.
I remember he was a minor celebrity for a while as he appeared on local TV early 70s doing trick shots. Their shop was near the Royal chippie on the Beersbridge and was burnt cause he wouldn't pay
the "unofficial" tax.

Id be interested to see the street directory myself, maybe somebody in Geneology could help.
Hope I'm not meddling, good luck. :smile:

Townharry

« Reply #125 on: December 04, 2009, 09:29:48 PM »
I used to live on the Rosebery Road and i remember the Magees son Johnny. I also remember The Regan family, they lived a few doors down from my Aunt (Cassie Boyd). Mary Meli's chip shop was frequented by everyone in the area and to this day you cant get a pastie like Mary's.
What a friendly, neighbourly area it was, no one cared what you were, everyone helped everyone else.   

anyone remember the magees eileen patricia also the regans annie the mum semus kevin ann-marie think there where 7 of them they lived in ardenvohr street in late 60s early 70s we left in 72 and have often thought bout them.
Be Safe - Be Free

grannyspice

« Reply #126 on: December 04, 2009, 10:40:21 PM »
<quote>Hi Strath_roy. There was a guy call Seamus that lived in Willowfield Dr. </quote>
Folks I was speaking to Seamus Curran this morning and whilst it was his brother Dennis who was an Irish Dance champion Seamus was not the flute player. He says there was another guy called Seamus Kelly who lived in the Drive and it may have been him but he is not sure. Hope this info helps a little. Incidentally Seamus would love to know who you all are and if you wish to PM me I will pass the messages onto him. Cheers Margaret

Strath_Roy

« Reply #127 on: December 05, 2009, 01:06:55 AM »
<quote>Hi Strath_roy. There was a guy call Seamus that lived in Willowfield Dr. </quote>
Folks I was speaking to Seamus Curran this morning and whilst it was his brother Dennis who was an Irish Dance champion Seamus was not the flute player. He says there was another guy called Seamus Kelly who lived in the Drive and it may have been him but he is not sure. Hope this info helps a little. Incidentally Seamus would love to know who you all are and if you wish to PM me I will pass the messages onto him. Cheers Margaret
Hi! Granny
I grew with the Currans in the Drive. Seamus knows who I am, I have been in contact with him thru one of his daughters, have also been in contact with his brother Denis who lives in Connecticut. We have also exchanged pics. I left the Drive in '58. I see from one of the other threads you went to Albertbridge Cong. Church, I had a couple of Relies that belonged to that congregation.
thanks for the offer
S_R
 :smile: :smile:
The world suffers a lot.
Not because of bad people.
But because of the silence of good people.
Napoleon

olelad

« Reply #128 on: December 05, 2009, 09:48:42 AM »

funny enough i only lived down the rd abit from adenvorhor st but wasnt until we was put out i meet the magees. they moved to craigavon from the woodstock.

olelad

« Reply #129 on: December 05, 2009, 09:50:18 AM »
Sorry if I'm sticking my nose in again.  ::)
Have checked with elder relatives.
There were 2 Collins households. Portallo and Redcar.
The Portallo address would have been about 76, where Gerry stayed.
Redcar definitely 2nd from Castlereagh Rd end, Portallo side.
Manuel was believed to stay there, maybe he stayed with aunt/uncle if he was Gerrys brother.

The Bates family was end house, Portallo St, probably 98 .
Gordon's father was Jackie Bates , the ex NI snooker/billiards champion.
I remember he was a minor celebrity for a while as he appeared on local TV early 70s doing trick shots. Their shop was near the Royal chippie on the Beersbridge and was burnt cause he wouldn't pay
the "unofficial" tax.

Id be interested to see the street directory myself, maybe somebody in Geneology could help.
Hope I'm not meddling, good luck. :smile:

someone get that street directory and quick !  :D

teap

« Reply #130 on: December 05, 2009, 10:45:45 AM »
ok 1969 street directory ready here what ye wanting?

teap

« Reply #131 on: December 05, 2009, 10:53:29 AM »
Portallo street 1969
76 Collins Bryan, labourer
98 Bates Hugh J , insurance agent

Jon B

« Reply #132 on: December 05, 2009, 11:03:49 AM »
Thank you Teap,  :good:
could you check RedcarStreet, the highest 2 even numbers please.

olelad

« Reply #133 on: December 05, 2009, 11:17:09 AM »
Portallo street 1969
76 Collins Bryan, labourer
98 Bates Hugh J , insurance agent

cheers teap. clem got it right . just been saying to him when i seen them they must have down at there grans house. ! ?

olelad

« Reply #134 on: December 05, 2009, 11:20:01 AM »
the class of 69 st anthonys.

colin donnelly
robert semple
paul o hara
vincent weir
thomas mc cullough
tony rutherford
brian collins
terrance dawson
danny o reilly
colmn coleman
clem mc ilhatton
gerard turley
gerard murray
david carlisle RIP
gerry christain
paul gracey
francie rehill
desmond mulligan
tony mc loughlin RIP
joe beattie
kenneth eccles
john marks
brendan mullan
Joseph rea
peter scott
billy gray
aidan corrigan
we recked we was about 5 or 6 short names of the full class.

in that list there was a billy gray who lived on the main woodstock rd and clem will confirm this. he was a top notch drawer. his drawings of world war 2 airplanes were fanastic. often wonder did he ever made it as an artist or the like ?!