Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 237395 times)

teap

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #135 on: December 05, 2009, 11:29:34 AM »

Redcar Street 1969
98 McManus Arthur labourer
100 McBride Mrs Jeannie

odd numbers
75 McCarroll James traffic warden
77 vacant

teap

« Reply #136 on: December 05, 2009, 11:33:04 AM »
anyone remember the magees eileen patricia also the regans annie the mum semus kevin ann-marie think there where 7 of them they lived in ardenvohr street in late 60s early 70s we left in 72 and have often thought bout them.

ardenvohr street 1969

40 MaGee Patrick, baker
66 Regan James, lorry driver

Jon B

« Reply #137 on: December 05, 2009, 11:42:22 AM »
Thanks Teap

clem

« Reply #138 on: December 05, 2009, 12:54:41 PM »
Hi Guys and Gals gr8 to hear from ya, glad weve managed to get it cleared up and that the Collin's family lived in 76 portallo st and im pretty sure it was the granny (tho possibly aunt) that lived in Redcar St ive managed to get my hands on a 1970 street directory which confirms it, Manuel i remember was electrocuted by a faulty washing machine in portallo st and of course its possible he stayed with relatives in redcar st... The Family your talking bout Olelad (and we think it was Gray's lived just below Mount St )I remember there was a shop on the corner called the Seasame a drapers and wool shop that many a time i had to run to, for my mum, to get her wool for knitting  anyway Billy Gray was indeed a brilliant artist and i believe his father was a cartoonist for one of the comics of the day tho cant remember which one , aint it gr8 that weve become part of the "sad old people who've nothin better to do than talk about all of our yesterdays "  .YO. ..

in that list there was a billy gray who lived on the main woodstock rd and clem will confirm this. he was a top notch drawer. his drawings of world war 2 airplanes were fanastic. often wonder did he ever made it as an artist or the like ?!

olelad

« Reply #139 on: December 05, 2009, 12:56:18 PM »
those with a street dir.  eustson st. at the bottom end were it joins ardgowen st. there was 2 streets which ran of euston st to the castlereagh rd . could someone put up the list of those living there in euston st say around 1970. i remember aguy who went to st augustines probably st anthonys as well who lived down there but cant remember his name. would have been 1 maybe 2 years older than me.

olelad

« Reply #140 on: December 05, 2009, 12:59:40 PM »
Hi Guys and Gals gr8 to hear from ya, glad weve managed to get it cleared up and that the Collin's family lived in 76 portallo st and im pretty sure it was the granny (tho possibly aunt) that lived in Redcar St ive managed to get my hands on a 1970 street directory which confirms it, Manuel i remember was electrocuted by a faulty washing machine in portallo st and of course its possible he stayed with relatives in redcar st... The Family your talking bout Olelad (and we think it was Gray's lived just below Mount St )I remember there was a shop on the corner called the Seasame a drapers and wool shop that many a time i had to run to, for my mum, to get her wool for knitting  anyway Billy Gray was indeed a brilliant artist and i believe his father was a cartoonist for one of the comics of the day tho cant remember which one , aint it gr8 that weve become part of the "sad old people who've nothin better to do than talk about all of our yesterdays "  .YO. ..

indeed  :D  but i can tell that having listened for a hour from a plumber about how this that and other is how to sort our bathroom out anything is a pleasent surprise  :smile:

olelad

« Reply #141 on: December 05, 2009, 01:03:58 PM »
the class of 69 st anthonys.

colin donnelly
robert semple
paul o hara
vincent weir
thomas mc cullough
tony rutherford
brian collins
terrance dawson
danny o reilly
colmn coleman
clem mc ilhatton
gerard turley
gerard murray
david carlisle RIP
gerry christain
paul gracey
francie rehill
desmond mulligan
tony mc loughlin RIP
joe beattie
kenneth eccles
john marks
brendan mullan
Joseph rea
peter scott
billy gray
aidan corrigan
we recked we was about 5 or 6 short names of the full class.

think there way have been a gabriel mcguigan in our class as well. lived in ravenhill ave ?!

Jon B

« Reply #142 on: December 05, 2009, 03:39:46 PM »
Thats probably Mashona St and Euston Parade.

those with a street dir.  eustson st. at the bottom end were it joins ardgowen st. there was 2 streets which ran of euston st to the castlereagh rd . could someone put up the list of those living there in euston st say around 1970. i remember aguy who went to st augustines probably st anthonys as well who lived down there but cant remember his name. would have been 1 maybe 2 years older than me.

olelad

« Reply #143 on: December 05, 2009, 06:19:10 PM »
Thats probably Mashona St and Euston Parade.

yes and i think that between redcar st and ardgowen st they was the only 2 streets running of euston st.?

Jon B

« Reply #144 on: December 05, 2009, 06:20:41 PM »
yes olelad, Redcar then Mashona  then Euston Pde then Ardgowan

olelad

« Reply #145 on: December 05, 2009, 06:32:55 PM »
yes olelad, Redcar then Mashona  then Euston Pde then Ardgowan

cheers jon. i think it was the row of houses between euston parade and ardgowen st were this geezer lived ?!

rusty

« Reply #146 on: December 05, 2009, 07:54:34 PM »
I used to live on the Rosebery Road and i remember the Magees son Johnny. I also remember The Regan family, they lived a few doors down from my Aunt (Cassie Boyd). Mary Meli's chip shop was frequented by everyone in the area and to this day you cant get a pastie like Mary's.
What a friendly, neighbourly area it was, no one cared what you were, everyone helped everyone else.

rusty

« Reply #147 on: December 05, 2009, 08:11:15 PM »
I used to live on the Rosebery Road and i remember the Magees son Johnny. I also remember The Regan family, they lived a few doors down from my Aunt (Cassie Boyd). Mary Meli's chip shop was frequented by everyone in the area and to this day you cant get a pastie like Mary's.
What a friendly, neighbourly area it was, no one cared what you were, everyone helped everyone else.
  mr &mrs boyd they were lovely people who lived nearer the woodstock road end of the street. i still remember mr boyd coming past our house on the way home at night from the cosy bar,whistling away. it always made me feel safe . i had forgotten johnnys name there older sister was may they were a lovely family. ive just remembered catherine regan too. aaah marys pasties nothin like it also the crispy scraps of the chips.

olelad

« Reply #148 on: December 05, 2009, 09:54:14 PM »
time for to print this link again . gives a brief history of school and parish.

http://www.saintanthony.co.uk/page4.html

olelad

« Reply #149 on: December 06, 2009, 08:05:28 AM »
miss kennedy and harry hart at the reunion must be 5 years ago ?!