Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 237495 times)

olelad

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #150 on: December 06, 2009, 08:14:42 AM »

another photo from that day

olelad

« Reply #151 on: December 06, 2009, 08:15:24 AM »

olelad

« Reply #152 on: December 06, 2009, 08:17:19 AM »
sorry about the quality of the photos but i haven't got a scanner and there haven't to be be photographed from a phone then posted on here.

olelad

« Reply #153 on: December 06, 2009, 08:26:14 AM »

cody

« Reply #154 on: December 06, 2009, 01:32:21 PM »
Hi Clem
         Im sorry I dont recall you. But you are right Paul Mc Glade was Bubbles . We were good friends . He lived at Loopland Drive -a great lad and one of the best footballers I have ever seen -think -George Best -quality. it was a complete mystery to me as to why he never was scouted . We picked up our friendship when I went to Queens but he was working by that time and I was a student enjoying life-  would love to meet him just to catch up. Maxi as you said was John Mcmahon . We go way back -St Anthonys, St MALACHYS COLLEGE,Q UEENS.We were good friends went to usa and London etc. He got married quite late and I think has 6 kids. Taught at Downpatrick . now a P hd and I think early retirement. I could tell you some stories.   Ps IM John(Sean to family and old friends) Duffy and lived  in Carlingford St.

cody

« Reply #155 on: December 06, 2009, 01:41:29 PM »
Hi Oledad
             Was delighted to see the photo of Harry Hart.  A gentleman. He had a temper though and would slap you mercilessly when provoked . He was subject to some kind of nervous condition -unsurprising having to contend with me and some of my classmates. But he would then ,after a lacing , rub your hands and make you hold them against the radiator to ease the pain. Why did we like him?- because his integrity and fundamental decency always shone through. I hope he is still alive and in good health.

strabane

« Reply #156 on: December 06, 2009, 09:41:38 PM »
to the brother of danny duffy. i knew danny when he joined the irish army down in athlone in 1981,we first meet him in apub called the oalace bar were he give us a renindition of .the belfast brigade. that raised a few eyebroys but as most of us were from the north we joined him in the chorus.danny stayed in basic traing and passed out into the 6th battalion.i moved on then and only met danny on afew occasions after that i heard later that he went awol for a time.only last year i meet an old friend of mine down in athlone and dannys name came up .we knew he had went into the leigion .but we all thought he had been killrd in chad so it came as a shock when i read your thrad that he died in london i offer you my condolances,and tou can be sure that a lot of people still remember banny may he rest in peace

clem

« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2009, 04:44:54 AM »
Hi Sean , I vaguely remeber Duffy's that lived in Caelinford St tho think my older brother Hugh might know some of your Family better , were you's related in some way to the derby's from Titania St ? you would also know the weir's who lived in the second house from carlingford street on ravenhill ave ? Bubbles and i once went camping together to Newcastle , my first big adventure , maxi and I drank together in the 80's in mostly the Errigle and i recall about 85 he got an unmerciful kicking on the lower ormeau rd , many a laugh we had , I knew he got married but didnt know he had 6 kids and that he was living not too far from Downpatrick . Nice to hear from ya , take care , Clem
Hi Clem
         Im sorry I dont recall you. But you are right Paul Mc Glade was Bubbles . We were good friends . He lived at Loopland Drive -a great lad and one of the best footballers I have ever seen -think -George Best -quality. it was a complete mystery to me as to why he never was scouted . We picked up our friendship when I went to Queens but he was working by that time and I was a student enjoying life-  would love to meet him just to catch up. Maxi as you said was John Mcmahon . We go way back -St Anthonys, St MALACHYS COLLEGE,Q UEENS.We were good friends went to usa and London etc. He got married quite late and I think has 6 kids. Taught at Downpatrick . now a P hd and I think early retirement. I could tell you some stories.   Ps IM John(Sean to family and old friends) Duffy and lived  in Carlingford St.

olelad

« Reply #158 on: December 08, 2009, 09:15:03 AM »
clem youd probably have known danny duffy as danny was in and around our age. younger by a year or 2.

clem

« Reply #159 on: December 08, 2009, 12:43:17 PM »
I do remember Danny Duffy tho wasnt sure what age he was / is think he might have knocked about with my younger brother Joe
clem youd probably have known danny duffy as danny was in and around our age. younger by a year or 2.

olelad

« Reply #160 on: December 08, 2009, 02:13:08 PM »
Hi Sean , I vaguely remeber Duffy's that lived in Caelinford St tho think my older brother Hugh might know some of your Family better , were you's related in some way to the derby's from Titania St ? you would also know the weir's who lived in the second house from carlingford street on ravenhill ave ? Bubbles and i once went camping together to Newcastle , my first big adventure , maxi and I drank together in the 80's in mostly the Errigle and i recall about 85 he got an unmerciful kicking on the lower ormeau rd , many a laugh we had , I knew he got married but didnt know he had 6 kids and that he was living not too far from Downpatrick . Nice to hear from ya , take care , Clem

im sure i would have ran into and played against bubbles at one time or another. meself and robert semple put together a match between loopland and the woodstock up at daddy winkers pk. we played twice and we got beat both times. point is bubbles would have been playing for the loopland team. i remember quite agood crowd turned up to watch both games   :smile:

cody

« Reply #161 on: December 08, 2009, 08:39:20 PM »
Hi Strabane
                  Thank you ver much for the information regarding my brother Danny.  He was something of a character. After "leaving" the Irish army . He joined the Legion and by all accounts was doing very well . He was in Jibuti on the Red sea. He certainly served at least 4 years and had signed up for 5. None of us knew what happened to him but he did go awol. I met someone who served with him there and he led me to believe that he became bored and grew increasingly unhappy probably drinking a little too much . Well what else can you do in Jibuti-? its 98% desert. He used to write his letters in French and since I knew the language I used to translate for my parents. He was a great kid with a heart of gold-but found it hard to settle anywhere. He was a mechanic , a butcher ,in two Armies and God knows what else. He died in London at the age of 39. -self neglect. really. Wish I had done more but didnt even know his address. He was his own man. Myself and my two sisters Anne and Patsy went there and brought his ashes home . He is at rest in Carnmoney cemetry along with  his Mother and Father. I know this is personal stuff Strabane but as you knew Danny I thought you might be interested. Ps I had assumed Danny had died a sad and lonely death- but not so. I received a phone call from a Social Worker who was helping him. She said he had loads of friends and his own council flat His friends had a memorial service for him in Peckham. She told me he was loved by all who knew him .NOT A BAD EPITAPH!

clem

« Reply #162 on: December 10, 2009, 07:02:04 PM »
Gee's Terry I better not tell Hugh all his old mates are dead cos he hasn't found out yet and he'll be ragin that he's missed the chance of a free lunch. .Ballygowan's one of those little villages that had about 4 or 5 bars (per person) and the only good thing to come out of it was a bus, i'll get [censored] shot if one of the locals happens to make it outta one of the pubs and reads this. .Terry ive no friends in australia (anywhere else either) so if ya wanna become my very very best friend in the whole wide world that'll be great then i can come over to Sydney and have someone to stay with , wouldnt that be sooper dooper, id tell everyone here you have a big house with a swimming pool and everythin.  .see im Nuts  .Happy Xmas to you and all the Family , P.S.Hugh said  he got Michael Donaldson really really drunk one night then kissed him only to be more bewildered cos he was an awful kisser and doesnt know why all the girls wanted to

another photo from that day

strabane

« Reply #163 on: December 10, 2009, 11:13:46 PM »
thank you cody for informing me on dannys last year, personaly ,i and other x c omrades of danny will never forget him he made a great immpression on us . all we knew he came from a troubled back ground but so do a lot of people who become soldiers.the differance with danny was he was always smiling laughing and a good person to be around. i offer you my deepest sypathy, and i hope to one day visit dannys final resting place, may he rest in peace. from colly

clem

« Reply #164 on: December 13, 2009, 04:56:27 AM »
Hi Olelad, can ya remember anythin about the matches ?? like what side you played on and who the rest of the teams were ??? was it kids from our school?
Hi Strabane
                  Thank you ver much for the information regarding my brother Danny.  He was something of a character. After "leaving" the Irish army . He joined the Legion and by all accounts was doing very well . He was in Jibuti on the Red sea. He certainly served at least 4 years and had signed up for 5. None of us knew what happened to him but he did go awol. I met someone who served with him there and he led me to believe that he became bored and grew increasingly unhappy probably drinking a little too much . Well what else can you do in Jibuti-? its 98% desert. He used to write his letters in French and since I knew the language I used to translate for my parents. He was a great kid with a heart of gold-but found it hard to settle anywhere. He was a mechanic , a butcher ,in two Armies and God knows what else. He died in London at the age of 39. -self neglect. really. Wish I had done more but didnt even know his address. He was his own man. Myself and my two sisters Anne and Patsy went there and brought his ashes home . He is at rest in Carnmoney cemetry along with  his Mother and Father. I know this is personal stuff Strabane but as you knew Danny I thought you might be interested. Ps I had assumed Danny had died a sad and lonely death- but not so. I received a phone call from a Social Worker who was helping him. She said he had loads of friends and his own council flat His friends had a memorial service for him in Peckham. She told me he was loved by all who knew him .NOT A BAD EPITAPH!