Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 237242 times)

grannyspice

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #285 on: April 14, 2010, 11:14:41 PM »

thanks grannyspice for that info. great wee shop in its day. i spent many an hour in it or looking at the gear in the window. any idea when they parted company with it ?
Not sure Olelad but Arthur then got a wee part time job in the garage at Bellsbridge when my daughter also worked there after school and at weekends. She was about 16 or 17 at the time so I reckon that must have been around 1981/2

olelad

« Reply #286 on: April 16, 2010, 10:32:04 PM »
one of the things afew of us done in the later years on the rd was joining the st johns ambulance  cadets !
at first it was held in a hall down the rd (spring st maybe ?) which was a hightmare.  think that old hall is still standing. then moved (thank god) up to harding ps.
really we went for the sport. crab football etc. but i do remember passing my first first aid test.  :swoon:

grannyspice

« Reply #287 on: April 16, 2010, 11:20:58 PM »
Olelad was the class held in Grovefield Street clinic near Spring St? We used to have to go to overflow classes there from Nettlefield and it was also the Baby Clinic. Can you just imagine that happening now? Suppose the way things are going it could well happen.

olelad

« Reply #288 on: April 16, 2010, 11:30:34 PM »
Olelad was the class held in Grovefield Street clinic near Spring St? We used to have to go to overflow classes there from Nettlefield and it was also the Baby Clinic. Can you just imagine that happening now? Suppose the way things are going it could well happen.

not sure tbh, i alway thought it was in spring st ?  all i remember was the staircase leading to the upstairs and a large room up there. once the lord st lot was in us and they filled the place. put us lot to shame for sure. think there was afew smaller rooms upstairs as well. we never used downstairs at all. lucky for us we only went there a couple of times b4 the move. 

thebell

« Reply #289 on: April 21, 2010, 06:37:35 PM »

not sure tbh, i alway thought it was in spring st ?  all i remember was the staircase leading to the upstairs and a large room up there. once the lord st lot was in us and they filled the place. put us lot to shame for sure. think there was afew smaller rooms upstairs as well. we never used downstairs at all. lucky for us we only went there a couple of times b4 the move.

thebell

« Reply #290 on: April 21, 2010, 06:44:01 PM »
  Prettysure St John classes were in mount street clinic, or the baby clinic as it was known before relocating to Harding Street school. Great fun those classes. My uncle L J Rice was the Superintendant then. A bit strict but dead on he was.

You can see the mount st clinic on street veiw on google maps with the old stone wall at the front.

olelad

« Reply #291 on: April 21, 2010, 09:23:53 PM »
  Prettysure St John classes were in mount street clinic, or the baby clinic as it was known before relocating to Harding Street school. Great fun those classes. My uncle L J Rice was the Superintendant then. A bit strict but dead on he was.

You can see the mount st clinic on street veiw on google maps with the old stone wall at the front.

the marching could be a right pain but all was forgotten when we started to play football  :smile:

clem

« Reply #292 on: April 28, 2010, 04:16:39 AM »
Tony aint been on here in a while and just catchin up , yeah i remember the shop very well , it was a guy called Arthur Muskett and his wife i think they lived up around Stirling Ave direction , i believe he was at one time a motorbike racer tho not certain , (ya could try googlin it ?)and his hobby and passion was airfix models, i remember some of the models he built of motorbikes , cars and planes were on display in the old folk and transport museum which was in witham st on the newtownards rd near the junction of the albertbridge , it wouldnt surprise me if they are still on display in the current folk and transport museum. glad you were able to put those last couple of names on K.
anyone remember or even know who owned the model shop on the cregagh rd facing oberon st ?

olelad

« Reply #293 on: April 28, 2010, 07:08:06 PM »
Tony aint been on here in a while and just catchin up , yeah i remember the shop very well , it was a guy called Arthur Muskett and his wife i think they lived up around Stirling Ave direction , i believe he was at one time a motorbike racer tho not certain , (ya could try googlin it ?)and his hobby and passion was airfix models, i remember some of the models he built of motorbikes , cars and planes were on display in the old folk and transport museum which was in witham st on the newtownards rd near the junction of the albertbridge , it wouldnt surprise me if they are still on display in the current folk and transport museum. glad you were able to put those last couple of names on K.

cheers m8 and welcome back. again a smashing wee shop at the time.
on further up the rd was the red rooster cafe (the corner of daddy winkers lane) which opened around 70.71. a gang from dromore st took that name for themselfs as they hung around there.  got a bad beating up that direction.

olelad

« Reply #294 on: April 29, 2010, 06:58:58 PM »
class reg p7 69.
colin donnelly
robert semple
paul ohara
vincent weir
thomas mccullough
brian collins
danny o reilly
colmn coleman
clem mcilhatton
tony rutherford
gerard turley
gerard murray
david carlisle
francie rehill
tony mcloughlin
john marks
joesph rea
aiden corrigan
brian grant
geberial mcguigian
micky oneil
joe beattie
gerry christian
terrance dawson
paul gracey
desmond mulligan
kenny eccles
kevin mcanally
peter scott
billy mcmullan
brendan mullan
danny burns
martin halliday

yes clem as you say good to finally get the last few names on the list. only thing now is whatever became of martin halliday, danny burns, peter scott, francie rehill, billy mcmullan, micky oneil and joe beattie. the rest we sort of know what became of them, peter scott went to gusties alright but after that i aint got a clue, nor had anyone else mind !

road hog

« Reply #295 on: April 29, 2010, 08:11:49 PM »
olelad, did you know a big fella, a few years older than yours self who went to st Anthonys called Danny Boyle. oh by the way,why are the down men so quiet now 
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

olelad

« Reply #296 on: April 30, 2010, 07:52:36 PM »
olelad, did you know a big fella, a few years older than yours self who went to st Anthonys called Danny Boyle. oh by the way,why are the down men so quiet now

yeah i remember danny alright. think he was about 3 years older than us lot. he lived up in dromore st.  think he moved to twinbrook.

olelad

« Reply #297 on: May 01, 2010, 09:46:12 AM »

clem would have known him alot better than me. think im right in saying he knocked around with alex wall ?

road hog

« Reply #298 on: May 01, 2010, 01:16:27 PM »
big Danny was in my class at gussies, your right that he moved to twinbrook, nice big fella, havent seen him in decades

road hog

« Reply #299 on: May 01, 2010, 01:17:56 PM »
olelad, did you watch the match last sunday ? is the orchard in bloom or what ;)