Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 244328 times)

olelad

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #300 on: May 01, 2010, 10:12:48 PM »
olelad, did you watch the match last sunday ? is the orchard in bloom or what ;)

didnt roadhog. do you remember the mcmahons by any chance ? moved from the strand up to ogilve st. paul and gerry was 2 of them. cant remember the others.

road hog

« Reply #301 on: May 02, 2010, 08:38:19 AM »

didnt roadhog. do you remember the mcmahons by any chance ? moved from the strand up to ogilve st. paul and gerry was 2 of them. cant remember the others.
yes, I think so, Gerry was a great soccer player, he had/has a sister how would be around the same age as me, I cant remember her name now
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

olelad

« Reply #302 on: May 02, 2010, 06:58:13 PM »
yes, I think so, Gerry was a great soccer player, he had/has a sister how would be around the same age as me, I cant remember her name now

indeed there was at least one girl in the family. paul was a year older than me.

road hog

« Reply #303 on: May 03, 2010, 09:14:15 AM »
I knew a Meli from the Springfield Road in the early 1960s.  I bought his Triumph Trophy motor bike in 1962.
Massi Meli had a chip shop in Cromac sq, his brother was Toni Meli. Massi had a love of fast cars and motorbikes
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

olelad

« Reply #304 on: May 15, 2010, 04:48:15 PM »
can anyone remember corrigans shop on the castlereagh rd ? it was on the corner of one of the streets between redcar st and ardgowen st (cant remember there names) b4 moving to there they had a shop on up the rd ballygowen rd i think ? jog any memories

clem

« Reply #305 on: May 16, 2010, 10:02:14 PM »
Hi Olelad yeah i remember the Corrigan family they owened the spar like shop at the bottom of the Ballygowan road where the bank of ireland is now, the guy in our class was called Aidan ,they then moved to or got another spar type shop opposite the chippy(knowles) on the castlereagh road. Joe beattie's livin around the Saintfield road area and he would have been good pals with the Murrays you mentioned b4 who lived on Castlereagh St. The 2 brothers i knew were Dermot and John and they moved to Downpatrick area and did quite well in the building trade, keep in touch Clem

clem

« Reply #306 on: May 16, 2010, 10:03:59 PM »
Think her name was Peggy. .?

indeed there was at least one girl in the family. paul was a year older than me.

olelad

« Reply #307 on: May 16, 2010, 10:12:32 PM »
Hi Olelad yeah i remember the Corrigan family they owened the spar like shop at the bottom of the Ballygowan road where the bank of ireland is now, the guy in our class was called Aidan ,they then moved to or got another spar type shop opposite the chippy(knowles) on the castlereagh road. Joe beattie's livin around the Saintfield road area and he would have been good pals with the Murrays you mentioned b4 who lived on Castlereagh St. The 2 brothers i knew were Dermot and John and they moved to Downpatrick area and did quite well in the building trade, keep in touch Clem

was joe beattie from the beersbridge rd calvin st ?  i cant remember him at all. he was one of ones you remember from our class.
the turleys moved to downpatrick and done well in the building game down there. they living on the ravenhill rd. gerard was our centre forward on the school team.
mickey oneil was the guy i think may have came from castlereagh st.

clem

« Reply #308 on: May 17, 2010, 08:12:20 AM »
yeah, Joe ltved off beersbridge road and surprisingly enough he also had a sister called peggy, the turley's ive met several times since they moved to downpatrick and their family also were big in the constuction industry, the murrays i mentioned from castlereagh street didnt go to st anthonys school if i ever meet John or Dermot will try to find out , the only michael o neill i can think of was paul o neills brother and they lived in the street behind willowfield drive (Jocelyn?) he was a few years older than us , any help?

olelad

« Reply #309 on: May 17, 2010, 07:48:12 PM »
yeah, Joe ltved off beersbridge road and surprisingly enough he also had a sister called peggy, the turley's ive met several times since they moved to downpatrick and their family also were big in the constuction industry, the murrays i mentioned from castlereagh street didnt go to st anthonys school if i ever meet John or Dermot will try to find out , the only michael o neill i can think of was paul o neills brother and they lived in the street behind willowfield drive (Jocelyn?) he was a few years older than us , any help?

micky oneil i cant remember but afew others from our class are sure he was in it. i remember been down at someones house in castlereagh st and im quessing maybe it could have been micky oneils ?  seems he lived down that end of the rd. im sure he hadnt anything to do with paul oneil.
there was a gerard murray in our class from of ravenhill ave , reckon youd remember him ok. i cant remember joe beattie at all. he might even have gone to gusties ?
. i remember at the reunion we all knew ones from the class others had forgotten while some we all remembered  :D
colemans was another family of ravenhill ave,.colm was in our class.

belle_fast

« Reply #310 on: May 18, 2010, 10:46:34 AM »

Interesting thread!  My immediate family (Regan's) hailed from Rosebery Gardens, I wasn't aware that there were Regan's in Adenvohr St (where my sister lives now) but I'm fairly certain they were no relation.  My Regan's did not attend St. Anthony's though, they went to Euston St.

I recognise some names on this board, Gary Wilson still lives in the same place and I recall my Dad talking about the Duffy family.

My other family name from this area is Sloan, also from Rosebery Gdns but hailed from Thistle Street off the Newtownards Rd.
Regan / O'Regan, Kennedy, Moore, Maskey, Sloan, Carser, Forrester, Gillen & McCartney.

olelad

« Reply #311 on: May 18, 2010, 11:04:04 AM »
clem the collins who weve talking about on here b4. i think i remember you saying youd never seen any of them since they moved from the east ? you reckon they moved to west belfast ? maybe some of those from west belfast reading this thread might know something of them . there was brian collins who was in our class. cant think of hand the brothers names ?

olelad

« Reply #312 on: May 18, 2010, 04:30:41 PM »

Interesting thread!  My immediate family (Regan's) hailed from Rosebery Gardens, I wasn't aware that there were Regan's in Adenvohr St (where my sister lives now) but I'm fairly certain they were no relation.  My Regan's did not attend St. Anthony's though, they went to Euston St.

I recognise some names on this board, Gary Wilson still lives in the same place and I recall my Dad talking about the Duffy family.

My other family name from this area is Sloan, also from Rosebery Gdns but hailed from Thistle Street off the Newtownards Rd.

hi belle-fast the only family i knew that you mentioned was the duffys.  grew up with many who went to euston st ps. i lived a stone throws away from it. the local libary was run from there at one time. it was down stairs in a basement ?

belle_fast

« Reply #313 on: May 18, 2010, 04:58:48 PM »

hi belle-fast the only family i knew that you mentioned was the duffys.  grew up with many who went to euston st ps. i lived a stone throws away from it. the local libary was run from there at one time. it was down stairs in a basement ?

It was Olelad - I went to the school myself and my Mum has worked at the school for years (still does).  I loved that old library even if it was a bit spooky.  It was closed and relocated to the Woodstock Rd at the corner of Portallo St.  I think it's under threat of closure now but don't quote me on that.

You were obviously from some of the surrounding streets to the school, I lived in Mashona St until it was pulled down in 1990.
Regan / O'Regan, Kennedy, Moore, Maskey, Sloan, Carser, Forrester, Gillen & McCartney.

olelad

« Reply #314 on: May 18, 2010, 05:21:38 PM »

It was Olelad - I went to the school myself and my Mum has worked at the school for years (still does).  I loved that old library even if it was a bit spooky.  It was closed and relocated to the Woodstock Rd at the corner of Portallo St.  I think it's under threat of closure now but don't quote me on that.

You were obviously from some of the surrounding streets to the school, I lived in Mashona St until it was pulled down in 1990.

that street ran of euston st to the castlereagh rd ?  the shop i mentioned earlier ran by corrigans on the castlereagh rd may well have been on the corner of mashons st ? there was 2 streets between redcar and ardgowen st i cant remember the others name. i lived beside bells laundry on the other side of the school . long b4 your time i guess  :smile: