Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 238173 times)

belle_fast

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #315 on: May 18, 2010, 09:01:46 PM »

that street ran of euston st to the castlereagh rd ?  the shop i mentioned earlier ran by corrigans on the castlereagh rd may well have been on the corner of mashons st ? there was 2 streets between redcar and ardgowen st i cant remember the others name. i lived beside bells laundry on the other side of the school . long b4 your time i guess  :smile:

Might well have been Olelad (I'm 'only' in my 30's)!  The 2 streets you refer to but can't remember the names of are Mashona Street and Euston Parade.  Mashona St had 2 shops at the top of the street, one was a convenience type store (the VG then later the Spar in my time) and the newsagents which may well have been Corrigans but was known as Eva's in my time (owned by the McCarthys).

I remember the old laundry too, I was a bit of a tomboy and loved climbing when I was wee so I was in there quite a bit!  ;)   It was later turned into a warehousing / office faciltity for Russells Cellars.

I'm really quite sad that all those 'original' places have gone now as I'll never be able to show my daughter where her Mummy grew up  :(  but I guess that's progress for you!
Regan / O'Regan, Kennedy, Moore, Maskey, Sloan, Carser, Forrester, Gillen & McCartney.

olelad

« Reply #316 on: May 18, 2010, 11:16:21 PM »

Might well have been Olelad (I'm 'only' in my 30's)!  The 2 streets you refer to but can't remember the names of are Mashona Street and Euston Parade.  Mashona St had 2 shops at the top of the street, one was a convenience type store (the VG then later the Spar in my time) and the newsagents which may well have been Corrigans but was known as Eva's in my time (owned by the McCarthys).

I remember the old laundry too, I was a bit of a tomboy and loved climbing when I was wee so I was in there quite a bit!  ;)   It was later turned into a warehousing / office faciltity for Russells Cellars.

I'm really quite sad that all those 'original' places have gone now as I'll never be able to show my daughter where her Mummy grew up  :(  but I guess that's progress for you!

your well after my time in the area  :D  corrigans shop would have been on the left facing the castlereagh rd ? they lived upstairs. i was there afew times as one of them was in my class. it was like a spar but not sure as it was so long ago.
bells laundry walls we was never of them. we got our conkers of the trees facing redcar st.

hilaryc

« Reply #317 on: May 21, 2010, 06:52:03 PM »
just found this thread . I came from willowfield parade went to euston street and was friendly with ellen o hara. remember mary melis,a pastie and 4pence worth and a bottle of pepsi on a friday night. the area was mixed and friendly all collectred for the boney and all went to the celi in st anthonys hall ,had brilliant slides when it was icy in the street with no name. Was chased by sister Bernadina for pinching the hens eggs from the convent !

olelad

« Reply #318 on: May 21, 2010, 11:03:31 PM »
just found this thread . I came from willowfield parade went to euston street and was friendly with ellen o hara. remember mary melis,a pastie and 4pence worth and a bottle of pepsi on a friday night. the area was mixed and friendly all collectred for the boney and all went to the celi in st anthonys hall ,had brilliant slides when it was icy in the street with no name. Was chased by sister Bernadina for pinching the hens eggs from the convent !

was that one of the oharas from roseberry rd ?

clem

« Reply #319 on: May 22, 2010, 04:30:53 AM »
hi olelad , funny i was talkin to a friend who lived knows the collins family and they did indeed move to the twinbrook area ,brian was in our class , manuel was bout 2 years older and i think it was Gerry was about 2 years younger , yeah joe beattie did go to st. augs with yas and the Coleman family along with the Fitzpatricks and O reillys all lived in i Ravenhill Gardens, that other lady is quite right i knew the O Haras well they did indeed live on Rosebery Rd and Eileen was the older of the girls (2?)along with (5?) brothers

hi belle-fast the only family i knew that you mentioned was the duffys.  grew up with many who went to euston st ps. i lived a stone throws away from it. the local libary was run from there at one time. it was down stairs in a basement ?

olelad

« Reply #320 on: May 22, 2010, 06:48:29 PM »
hi olelad , funny i was talkin to a friend who lived knows the collins family and they did indeed move to the twinbrook area ,brian was in our class , manuel was bout 2 years older and i think it was Gerry was about 2 years younger , yeah joe beattie did go to st. augs with yas and the Coleman family along with the Fitzpatricks and O reillys all lived in i Ravenhill Gardens, that other lady is quite right i knew the O Haras well they did indeed live on Rosebery Rd and Eileen was the older of the girls (2?)along with (5?) brothers

twinbrook was indeed avery popular place for ones from the east moving to. we very nearly went there as well. cant remember joe at gusties at all but when we all left st anthonys you made new friends at seconary school and that was that. just after having a pint with joe kelly. he ran into john mcgibbon last night. one family no one seems to know what happened to them is the taylors. they lived on the woodstock and were in the funiture game. mark was a year older than us. think there may have been about 5 of them. think after the woodstock they went to bangor but nothing since.

thebell

« Reply #321 on: May 23, 2010, 12:02:52 AM »
i remember those chickens, but needed some one else to in case i was crackin up.

olelad

« Reply #322 on: May 23, 2010, 05:07:59 PM »
i remember those chickens, but needed some one else to in case i was crackin up.

we was just talking about you yesterday ! if theres anyone who has afew tales about the woodstock its you   :smile:

next door to the taylors was the walls. not sure how many of them was but i remember alex. clem would know them better .

hilaryc

« Reply #323 on: May 24, 2010, 11:48:59 AM »
ellen was the oldest O hara girl and angela the youngest. They moved to Farnham St on the Ormeau Rd ,som are still there but John was murdered when a taxi driver around 1991.Childhood days seem so innocent  in retrospect.

olelad

« Reply #324 on: May 24, 2010, 06:33:34 PM »
ellen was the oldest O hara girl and angela the youngest. They moved to Farnham St on the Ormeau Rd ,som are still there but John was murdered when a taxi driver around 1991.Childhood days seem so innocent  in retrospect.

was in the same class as paul.  havent seen him since 72.

olelad

« Reply #325 on: May 25, 2010, 10:04:20 PM »

seems there was 7 of the taylors. 2 girls and 5 boys ? one of the girls was called maureen, chris and billy was twins then there was michael and mark. mark was the one i knew although not that well. he was a year older than me. i remember some of the others but again not that well. they moved to bangor and may have opened a furniture shop or store on the groomsport rd ? so maybe that might jog someones memory ? thanks to joe for that info  :smile:

olelad

« Reply #326 on: June 01, 2010, 10:30:46 PM »
 those that remember the bolt gerry gallagher (teacher) think he may have lived around roseberry rd back then. heard he has been a manager in a bookies in omagh for years now !

thebell

« Reply #327 on: June 02, 2010, 10:49:06 PM »
what about the rex cinema, formerly the willowfield. 3d to get in on a sat afternoon and all the fleas you could carry home for free. half time you went up on stage for a free ticket for next week. happy days

we was just talking about you yesterday ! if theres anyone who has afew tales about the woodstock its you   :smile:

next door to the taylors was the walls. not sure how many of them was but i remember alex. clem would know them better .

Marcas

« Reply #328 on: June 03, 2010, 10:00:39 PM »
Just been going through the threads from the start and jotting down names as they came into my head ! So in no particular order here goes and hope to jog a few memories. Miss Morton Mr ? Tracey and Frank Dologhan ~ teachers. Kevin Kelly, Joe Davidson, Kevin and Jim Rafferty, Leo Christian, Anthony Wilde, Gerard Braiden, Sid Walsh and his sis Lisa, Frank Marks, Kieran and Aiden Corrigan, Michael OHara, Pearse McCrory, Gerry Connolly, the Meighans, Peter Rooney, Marty McGuigan, Robert and Paul Kerr, John and Tom Boyd, Vincent Crilly, Michael and Eugene Quigley, Terry George, Cathal Coleman, ? Lundy, ? Grant. Sure theres loads more that escape me but enough to be going on with

Marcas

« Reply #329 on: June 03, 2010, 10:12:15 PM »
Saw a post from belle_fast earlier. Can remember the Regan twins and their sis but her name escapes me. Used to hang out in Daddy Winkers but thats another story  :smile: