Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 245879 times)

olelad

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #330 on: June 04, 2010, 08:10:21 PM »

bell.

remember all that about the rex well. if you went up and done a song or dance you got afree ticket for next weeks show ! hence i alway paid  :smile:

olelad

« Reply #331 on: June 04, 2010, 08:15:51 PM »
Just been going through the threads from the start and jotting down names as they came into my head ! So in no particular order here goes and hope to jog a few memories. Miss Morton Mr ? Tracey and Frank Dologhan ~ teachers. Kevin Kelly, Joe Davidson, Kevin and Jim Rafferty, Leo Christian, Anthony Wilde, Gerard Braiden, Sid Walsh and his sis Lisa, Frank Marks, Kieran and Aiden Corrigan, Michael OHara, Pearse McCrory, Gerry Connolly, the Meighans, Peter Rooney, Marty McGuigan, Robert and Paul Kerr, John and Tom Boyd, Vincent Crilly, Michael and Eugene Quigley, Terry George, Cathal Coleman, ? Lundy, ? Grant. Sure theres loads more that escape me but enough to be going on with

remember a lot of those names as well. think maybe you might be ayear or two older than us class of 69 ?  :scratch_ones_head: brian grant willowfield dr was in our class as was gerry christian brother of leo and aiden corrigan. colemans from of ravenhill ave ? colm in our class. 

olelad

« Reply #332 on: June 04, 2010, 08:47:20 PM »
Just been going through the threads from the start and jotting down names as they came into my head ! So in no particular order here goes and hope to jog a few memories. Miss Morton Mr ? Tracey and Frank Dologhan ~ teachers. Kevin Kelly, Joe Davidson, Kevin and Jim Rafferty, Leo Christian, Anthony Wilde, Gerard Braiden, Sid Walsh and his sis Lisa, Frank Marks, Kieran and Aiden Corrigan, Michael OHara, Pearse McCrory, Gerry Connolly, the Meighans, Peter Rooney, Marty McGuigan, Robert and Paul Kerr, John and Tom Boyd, Vincent Crilly, Michael and Eugene Quigley, Terry George, Cathal Coleman, ? Lundy, ? Grant. Sure theres loads more that escape me but enough to be going on with

the corrigans had a shop on the castlereagh rd . now not sure when they left but reckon it was around 72. was told at our reunion they moved to fintona co tyrone. where it seems the came from ?

olelad

« Reply #333 on: June 06, 2010, 11:06:19 PM »
at last news of francie rehill who came from the castlereagh estate.  moved to newtownbuttler.

olelad

« Reply #334 on: June 21, 2010, 10:15:09 PM »
anyone remember 3 brothers called the hardys ?  didnt go to st anthonys ,maybe harding mem. used to live on the main woodstock then the castlereagh rd.

thebell

« Reply #335 on: June 21, 2010, 11:15:53 PM »
hey ole lad, Did anyone else go into artie bells motor bike show room and sit on the bikes until told to go by a grown up, then mooch of to daddy winkers (where did that name come from). Some times going into malone rfc to play with the spare balls they used for training. Happy days mate.

olelad

« Reply #336 on: June 21, 2010, 11:25:04 PM »
hey ole lad, Did anyone else go into artie bells motor bike show room and sit on the bikes until told to go by a grown up, then mooch of to daddy winkers (where did that name come from). Some times going into malone rfc to play with the spare balls they used for training. Happy days mate.

indeed m8. i remember malone rugby club been built up there and going to a sports day in the main hall when 1st opened. we never took to watching the game mind  :D   in fact at arti bells he alway had a pile of honda 60/90s lined up outside and we used to sit on most of them b4 been told to shove of.

olelad

« Reply #337 on: June 22, 2010, 10:09:32 PM »

indeed m8. i remember malone rugby club been built up there and going to a sports day in the main hall when 1st opened. we never took to watching the game mind  :D   in fact at arti bells he alway had a pile of honda 60/90s lined up outside and we used to sit on most of them b4 been told to shove of.

it must be said that by 71 daddy winkers was a no go. the days of swinging on the witch's hat were gone for good and a kicking was on the cards instead.

olelad

« Reply #338 on: July 10, 2010, 02:44:41 PM »
at this time of the year back then in the parish. most streets had there own wee bonie and each used to raid each others and fights between the differant streets was the norm. is it still the same over there ?  :scratch_ones_head:

martin mc cullough

« Reply #339 on: July 12, 2010, 04:49:15 PM »
my mum was a dinner lady there for a lot of years,eileen mc cullough

olelad

« Reply #340 on: July 12, 2010, 10:02:33 PM »
my mum was a dinner lady there for a lot of years,eileen mc cullough

no such things as dinners in my days there  :D

olelad

« Reply #341 on: July 18, 2010, 06:57:35 PM »
can anyone remember was there ever at any time in st anthonys ps history a uniform or school badge ?

not long been told that after the boys school was renovated in 1970 the school took on a uniform of blue jumper and blue tie. it dont last 2 long for the numbers went belly up during 71/72 as the numbers fell away big time.

olelad

« Reply #342 on: July 20, 2010, 09:25:24 PM »
all the others have deserted the thread and i think ill have to do like wise. only so far you can go with the old memory banks  :smile: . while the parish is very much a changed place and one which many still avoid . it was still were many and us the class of 69 grew up and lived in till are mid /early teens. so unless new life comes and posts i bid farewell.

billnl

« Reply #343 on: July 29, 2010, 05:04:06 PM »

Interesting thread!  My immediate family (Regan's) hailed from Rosebery Gardens, I wasn't aware that there were Regan's in Adenvohr St (where my sister lives now) but I'm fairly certain they were no relation.  My Regan's did not attend St. Anthony's though, they went to Euston St.

I recognise some names on this board, Gary Wilson still lives in the same place and I recall my Dad talking about the Duffy family.

My other family name from this area is Sloan, also from Rosebery Gdns but hailed from Thistle Street off the Newtownards Rd.
My older brother knocked around with the Regans from Rosebery Gardens . I think there was a Brian and twins one who was called Ronnie. I see that you come from Mashona Street , I grew up about a 100 yards away in Hillsborough Gardens.

annied

« Reply #344 on: August 17, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
I knew the Regan family well, They lived down what we used to call the stumps next to the Boyds My granny Mrs Duffy was good friends with Mrs Regan. Have great memories of my childhood living in Carlingford St and had great friends.